Who is the most overrated author?
Who is the most underrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

pt.wikisource.org/wiki/Polonia_(1864)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murzynek_Bambo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Brasil
Paulo Coelho that faggot
Machado de Assis, not that he is underrated, but he is the greatest Brazilian author in my opinion.

I like him
pt.wikisource.org/wiki/Polonia_(1864)

t. Poland here, I will never forget this

also:
overrated: Olga Tokarczuk
underrated: Jerzy Krzysztoń

Germany

Dietmar Dath that pretentious boring shit - or Charlotte Roche that vapid writer - or Helene Hegemann, 14 year old hyped up copy-pasted trash, essentially all 'new' German literature.

underrated: Walter Moers. He's written off as a fantasy writer for kids but he's very intertextual, lots of links to German classic literature, way less pretentious than the average German writer. Perhaps too commercially successful for the feuilleton to like him.

what about Christa Wolf?

Hungary
I don't know who could be overrated.
Karinthy Frigyes or Weöres Sándor. They both get played down because one wrote "le funny parody" and the other wrote "le kid poem".

>What country are you from?
Italy
>Who is the most overrated author?
Petrarch.
He was a contrarian faggot who thought Dante was a simpleton and who despised the only writings that make him relevant today.
He also almost shamed Bocaccio into burning the Decameron, so there is that.
>Who is the most underrated?
D'Annunzio.
He's mostly regarded as a meme, but people seem to forget that behind his daredevil actions he has surprisingly sweet poetry.

same with Julian Tuwim in Poland.
He wrote a poem called "Bambo the black child"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murzynek_Bambo

and
1. Everyone forgets his other poems because herp derp he's a child author exclusively. (who cares his language level is the highest in PL history)
2. Today SJWs consider his poem racist and don't like him.

Not sure yet, I've only read a few of her poems

Seems to be very much steeped in GDR history and atmosphere of the time so probablydidn't age well

>Petrarca
is it true that marquis de Sade is a descendant of one of Petrarca's women, Laura?

Burgerstan
Mark Twain for prose, Emily Dickinson for poetry
I guess Robinson Jeffers

>Country
Ecuador
>Overrated
I don't kno 2bh. Maybe on of those sooial realis writers that were so common here. Still, they were very influential to latin american literature.
>Underrated
Maybe Pablo Palacio. He was rejected and dismissed as crazy for his writings, because he was writing avant-garde shit while others were just writing social realist literature. He was very ahead of the times.

America
the answer to both is Ayn Rand

Russia

Tolstoy

Platonov

France
Marcel Proust obviously
Frédéric Dard aka San Antonio

Ireland
Joyce
Yeats

but She was Russian . . .

She was born a Russian. She died an American.
-2/10 dumbest possible reply

England
Overrated: Tough to say. T.S. Eliot maybe, since I'm not generally a fan of modernist poetry. Or perhaps Orwell, who I actually rather like but more for his non-fiction than for his most famous fictional works, which are trash.
Underrated: Even though he's world-renowned as the greatest writer of all time, Shakespeare. Every time I read one of his plays I'm simply in awe at his brilliance. It shouldn't be humanly possible. But if Shakespeare's too cute an answer, then William Hazlitt, who is probably the finest essayist in the English language.

Brazil
Machado de Assis, surely the most normie pick for greatest author, albeit he's not bad, just not the best.
Darlon Trevisan, this man takes minimalism to an obscene extreme and makes misogyny incredibly entertaining. His books made me love Curitiba too.

Serbia
Ivo Andric
Bora Cosic

England
Overrated - Jane Austen
Underrated - China Miéville

UK
>overrated
George Orwell, Martin Amis, Will Self, Graham Greene, Zadie Smith
>underrated
Anthony Burgess (only known for A Clockwork Orange but he wrote much better stuff), John Fowles, J. G. Ballard

France
>Overrated
Voltaire
>Underrated
Perec
>widely appreciated but still underrated as they should be recognized as among the very greatest
Aragon, Verlaine

>Brazil
>Most overrated is Machado
>Not fucking Paulo Coelho

Maybe I have a different perspective because I'm in the US and the Alchemist is the most overhyped BR book here, but my god. Fuck that dude.

Brazil.
Probably Paulo Coelho.
I wish my Portuguese wasn't so shitty now so I could read Pessoa or some other Portuguese literature. It would probably take me forever to read anything of it nowadays.

>Petrarch.
I'm italian as well and I second this. can't really stand petrarch.
the most underrated i can think about right now is either landolfi or manganelli

Peru
>Overrated
Mario Vargas Llosa
>Underrated
César Vallejo

I know how you feel. My parents are from Portugal but because they wanted me to be a successful American businessman or whatever, they taught me very, very little growing up and spoke english at home to try and integrate as best they can. Now I practically have to teach myself portuguese. I get by in most respects, but when you get to flowery prose or Camões or Dom Afonso Henriques you're just lost because you don't have an adequate base to go off of.

Colombia
Gabo is too overrated to the point that he makes the other authors look underrated. There are many good authors unknown internationally due to shit of magic realism of Gabo.

>Australia
>IDK, Germaine Greer or Tim Winton maybe
>Patrick White

Australia
Thomas Keneally
Gerald Murnane

Pessoa is great precisely because he wrote great stuff in a very popular and unpretentious way, regardless of how much of a hipster douche he may strike you as when you read him.

Being born and raised in Portugal, Camões can still be a bitch to understand. Try starting with something more modern so you get used to reading in the language. Work your way down.
In any case, the best thing you can do to learn the language is to come over and speak it. Even if for only a month or something.

Canada

Most overrated: Margaret Atwood, Alice Munro, Rohinton Mistry, Leonard Cohen

Underrated: Ethel Wilson

That's a really neat painting, I need to check out more Finnish art!

>Country
Canada (British Columbia)
>Overrated
Margaret Atwood
>Underrated
Anosh Irani or Rohinton Mistry.

It seems we are at odds my beaver loving compatriot

Petrarch was a hack

I respect Atwood 100%. I have read a few of her short story collections and quite enjoyed them. Atwood is quite talented but I just wish the average bookshopper could name a Canadian author other than her. I might be biased for working at a Canadian bookstore though.

Whereas I rarely hear Anosh Irani's name dropped and Bombay Black, and more recently The Parcel are fantastic in my opinion.

I agree with you as far as Atwood, I read Oryx and Crake and I've tried a short story by her but found her story crafting poor and her prose mediocre at the best of times. Her poetry, on the other hand, demonstrates her talent. I suppose I should try her again but given past experiences it's not a high priority.

I read Swimming Lessons by Rohinton Mistry and found his prose poor and disengaging. His politically correct post colonial approach doesn't have much immediate appeal. Could you recommend something by him that might better represent his abilities?

I feel our country celebrates mediocrity in literature because of a lack of contribution. I like some of our older writers, though.

What book store do you work at, and where?

>Country
Canada
>Overrated
Murial Bosch
>Underrated
Me

This is like those "post a book with a name" threads, in which only those with the popular/Burger names take part.
What if I come from a country with 800.000 population, whose works have never been translated to a foreign language?

Spain
Laura Gallego and Carlos Ruiz Zafon
But she writes YA so thats obvious and he writes YA for pseuds which makes him something close to George Martin.
Id say Camilo José Cela is overrated too but I think that it may be my brainlet speaking, that fucker wrote some weird shit I fear Ill never understand
Underrated Perez Reverte. Memes aside, hes written the best series of young adult books in Spain and probably the world but his temperament and quickanger has gained him a "le franquist Manolo" fame.

The answer is git gud and stop looking for sympathy points you commie

>Manganelli
Mio nero

Did you only read swimming lessons or all of Tales from Firozsha Baag? It's a novel built out of short stories so they're not as good out of context, though some are stronger on their own right. The Ghost of Firozsha Baag if I recall correctly stood out on its own; The Collectors too. While I haven't read it, I know several professors of mine often recommend and praise his novel "A Fine Balance".

I agree, there seem like so few authors that even make it to national recognition. probably because often writers centers their works within local lore/history/interest so they don't resonate past the city, regional or provincial levels. I think Canada's strength lies in producing theatre and poetry, although we do have some apparently stellar literature, much of which I haven't even read though.

USA.
All the living; and all the dead Harlem Renaissance, Beat Generation, Modernist writers.
Gene Wolfe, David Foster Wallace, Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Prove me wrong. I'm genius.

Czechia
Over: Kundera
Under Kundera

>Our only Nobel prize winner is underrated
K

>country
Brazil.

>overrated
Paulo Leminsky.
Proto-hipster who thought poetry is making puns.

>underrated
Raduan Nassar.
Greatest prose stylist in Portuguese language.

Bonus:
overrated - Ana Cristina Cesar (basically an 80's, somewhat more talented rupi)
underrated - Ferreira Gullar (consistently innovative poet, gets shit on for not being marxist)

Romania. Mircea Cărtărescu is way too overrated.

>US
>Overrated
Too many Americans in this thread are naming off authors who don't match this criteria. The truly overrated ones are Dan Brown, John Grisham, and their ilk.
>Underrated
Probably Ezra Pound. His influence on poetry is without parallel since the time he started writing. He should have won a Nobel Prize.

>France
Proust
La Fontaine

What? How do I actually git gud if I'm named Artan? Do I change my name to John?
>sympathy points
Freudian slip much?

Spain.

I move in poetry circles (being a published author myself), and EVERYTHING is overrated. Most modern poets are just well-known and best-selling for their mass-appealing garbage. Irene X, Luna de Miguel, Escandar Algeet, Carlos Salem. Absolute utter shit.

Underrated? Me, of course. Won't disclose name, lmao.

If you're not gonna give us your name, why mention it? Haven't even said which ones are good.

I don't know....
I don't know....

And
I don't know....

Je n'ai lu que les fables de La Fontaine. Il a écrit d'autres choses?

t. américain

Norway
Overrated: Jo Nesbo
Underrated: Gabriel Scott

Les grenouilles le trouvent drôle quand les américains parlent le français, alors arrêtes-toi !

La seule question à demander en français aux français, c'est "où est la salle de bain?" après avoir vu la Joconde au Louvre.

t. le connard américain.

>Burgess

I've read this year Nothing like the Sun by him. It was really good and I had a lot of fun reading it. The man really upped the play on and with words.

I dont know

I don't know

I don't know

I don't know..

I don't know

I don't know

None of us know. Gtfo
NBGAF BRUH

I don't know

Shitted bread?

Fucking kek

I dont know

I dont know??

Nigger faggot

I dont know

Wuaw I thoughte only I don't knowe frens

Australia
Donald Horne
Percy Stephensen

I DONT KNOW

Is Jon Fosse any good? Apparently he's a front runner for the Nobel

I don't know, do any of us truly know

The United States of America
Overrated: William Shakespeer
Underrated: Ted Kaczynski

>i
>DON'T
>know

I don't know

I DO NOT KNOW

I don't know

I don't know

I know don't

Suicide-toi

I don't know

I Don't Know

I know.

I don't know

I know not

Je ne sais pas

No you don't know and I don't know..I don't think anyone on this board knows.

no sé

I am unable to provide an answer for I don't not have the knowledge on this subject.

I don't know...