Post yfw you realised that the "stately" in "stately, plump buck mulligan" is an adverb

post yfw you realised that the "stately" in "stately, plump buck mulligan" is an adverb

no it's not

It's an adjectively.

hol yfreakin' crap

bump

what did you think it was?

bump
1!!

It's an adjective that looks like an adverb.

Why not simply both?

stfu

thats how i always read it, what did you read it as?

ummm, no? the entire narrative is aimed at a girl named Stately, which is the irish XX century equivalent of Stacey

bump

Wait, am I grammatically retarded or can the word be read as both an adverb and an adjective?

bump!

thanks

yes which is the point

Erm, no. It's an adjective *only*. Where's the adverb's verb?

Fucking Americans and adverbs, I swear to god.

no. look it up

If he had meant
>stately, plump buck mulligan
then that's what he would have written.

if it was an adverb the verb would have been 'came'

But there isn't a verb, so it isn't an adverb; nor can ever be one, if there were.

> statelyily

>came isn't a verb

You're missing the important thing to realize which is actually that "plump" here is a verb

>I thought the l at the top of was an i and that it was "I stately, plump buck mulligan"

I never said that. Learn to read, son.

Not here it isn't. Explain the comma.

plump is the verb you retards. He is sitting down unhurried, he is plumping down stately

it's imperative

You implied it by saying that there's no verb in a sentence that contains the word 'came'.

> would have been

I said there is no verb in *that* sentence, not the hypothetical one you're blathering about.

Still. Adverbs are not separated from their verbs, imperative or not, by commas.

no, the COMMA is imperative, you son of a period

>hypothetical
It's not you fucking pleb.It's in it. If this autism was all a reaction to me using the word 'would' loosely (obviously 'came' is the verb of the sentence regardless of whether stately is an adverb, just not the verb of the adverb) go fuck yourself.

hold on guys, ill email him real quick and ask

> It's in it
Where is the word 'came'? You need to control your anger, son.

I won't be settled in the issue either way until I see someone diagram the phrase.

good riddance faggot

no way an accomplished writer like him would actually respond to an email written by some random basement dweller

This better be bait

everybody knows buck mulligan isn't a writer.... you think?

Right after 'Mulligan'.

ITT: name adjectives that end with -ly

>homely

>STATELY, PLUMP BUCK MULLIGAN CAME FROM THE STAIRHEAD, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed

Maybe you should read more

Still not an adverb.

Miserly

'Stately' is an adjective describing 'Mulligan'.

I have a similar one, but it’s not a question of adjective or adverb but a question of exact meaning:

>The great purges involving thousands of people, with public trials of traitors and thought-criminals who made abject confession of their crimes were afterwards executed
>abject

(i) complete
(ii) submissive
(iii) hopeless
(iv) despicable
These are the definitions of ’abject’ from a dictionary. which one is the meaning of abject in the above sentence?

CAME from the stairhead

All four of them. That's how words work.

>Buck
>Adjective
you're doing beautiful work as a troll memeposter here, user.

you sure?
Usually if one word has several characteristics, they write all of the characteristics in the definition, not separating them with 1., 2., 3., 4.

Obstinately, poster 10053512 continued to repeat his losing argument.

Joyce is an author known for his strict adherence to the formal laws of language!!

"Poster" isn't a verb though.

But if the writer meant a single definition, e.g. *only* 'submissive', he'd write only 'submissive'. But this writer wants to encapsulate the extra meanings, so he used 'abject'.

:-/

Adjectives that modify verbs are adverbs. If 'stately' is modifying 'came', it is an adverb. As in 'And that is when our new class president, stately, Jeremiah came through the auditorium door, holding a pair of gardener's shears and tracking wet, blackened mulch'.

but it's his fucking name in here. have you read the book? or are you still memeing?

> implying I've read his nonsense
Ah, the old I-can-bend-grammar-to-my-will-because-I-know-it-so-well argument.

A degenerate writer is a degenerate writer.

Quarterly. Orderly. Comely

> have you read the book?
God, no.

whatt he fuck

I thought this thread was about kipling

>if it was an adverb the verb would have been 'came'
>if

->

Right, let's summarise:

> 1. Joyce meant it as an adverb, not knowing that 'stately' is not, in fact, an adverb at all

> 2. Joyce meant it as an adjective, knowing full well that 'stately' is not an adverb

I'm going with the latter. Thanks.

As was, clearly, I. In case you were implying otherwise.

>3. Joyce meant it as an adverb, knowing full well that 'stately' is not an adverb
Checkmate atheists

Miserly is not an adjective
Miserable is

>ITT: nobody discusses the metaphorical meaning of the entire sentence, just grammar
kek.

Touché.

I know nothing about Joyce, hence my not knowing the sentence. Was he this much of a contrarian edgelord?

Actually nevermind, I'm stupid

Hhmm.

Too late.

Absolutelily

>haha people talk about the grammar in a thread a that was about the grammar what plebs

On occasion I get a certain urge, an urge I can't find the impetus behind but one that nonetheless I find I must satisfy to it's natural conclusion. I eat as much peanut butter and drink as much milk as I can in order to build up the gasses, then I jump in my car and head down to the bookstore to buy a 1922 scholarly edition of Ulysses. During the drive I'll start to feel the farts welling up, but i hold them in, knowing they'll be so much sweeter soon. Walking around the bookstore I can feel the eyes of the cute little shopkeep on me as I clench my ads cheeks together. Sometimes I'll smile at her and maybe even let a little squeaker out (She always blushes). When I get back home I draw all the curtains and get fully nude. The farts are mustering full force against my sphincter now, clamoring to get out. I'll let one or two slip out--i just can't help myself! I squat nude at the top of my stairs, bobbing up and down so that the carpet tickles my dangling ballsack, and meticulously rip out the telemachus episode, wadding each page up and carefully inserting them into my ballooning rectum. When every last page is inside me, quivering, face contorted in pleasure, I groan the words "Stately plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead," whereupon I unleash a flatulence the like on which is rarely seen, heard, or smelt anywhere. The pages of Telemachus flutter through the air like confetti as I have a mind-shattering orgasm, shooting cum from the stairhead all the way to the lower level. Often in my ecstasy I tumble all the way down to lay quivering at the bottom in the puddle, the pages raining down on me until I fall asleep, dreaming of how I'll do it all over again tomorrow with Nestor.

Finally: a prose stylist to rival Joyce himself

Does it really matter? If it's an adverb, he's descending the staircase in a stately manner. If it's an adjective, he happens to be a stately man.

Either way we know that stateliness is part of Mulligan's character.

Thank you.

Where is it ever stated that he is descending that staircase?

>mfw when this is actually pretty well written

how the fuck
what
no

"came from the stairhead" != descending the staircase

woah guys thanks for bumping my thread

>implying potter fanatics won't keep talking about it for their entire lives so that no child will be raised for 50 years without having been exposed to it.

Holy shit.

bump

:* :*

Beautiful.

baited hard

bump

lol

people of her age unfortunately will not be dying of old age

what le fuck who deleted my harry potter meme

bump

LOL!

kek

BUMP

>Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.