What is the most nihilistic book you've ever read?

What is the most nihilistic book you've ever read?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/shelf/show/surreal-fiction
ranker.com/list/best-absurdist-fiction-novels/ranker-books
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

journey to the end of the night

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
The Stranger
No Longer Human
Woman in the Dunes
Crime and Punishment
Infinite Jest
Crying of Lot 38

why is that nietzsche book nihilistic

Rejects all religious and moral principles in the belief that life is meaningless.

C&P and IJ are absolutely not nihilistic

I honestly think notes from the underground

it had a profound effect on teeny bopper me

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Peale

Rodyavanov was trying to be nihilistic
IJ is very nihilistic about its view in the modern world if you read beneif the humour

meme

elaborate

Neuromancer

The whole of C&P is exactly the opposite of nihilism in its emphasis on redemption, regardless of what a minor character might be attempting
IJ is dystopian moreso than nihilistic, and under its critique of the modern world is a message of hope and perseverance exemplified in Gately (also Mario as the moral center of the book). I will grant though the danger of the Entertainment and the short-term discouragement at the grave in Year of Glad

this
calling Crime and Punishiment nihilist is like calling to Kill a Mockingbird racist

To Kill a Mockingbird is very classist doe.

Ecclesiastes

Thus Spoke Zarathustra, the prophet--Nietzsche--helps people overcome nihilism.

Not nihilistic, but dreadful would be Notes from the Underground.

But ofc its a deconstruction of that.

Ecclesiastes is not nihilist. It's anti-materialist.

My diary desu

Thanks for backing me up

The perfect crime by baudrillard

>raskolnikov
>not a nihilist for the first 98 percent of the book

git gud scrub

>anti-X novel involves large amount of discussions of X
>therefore anti-X novel is really an X novel
this is your logic

>Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>the entire book is about how man should not fall into the nihil and instead pursue his own meaning through self ownership
>"nitze was a nihilist haha life is meaningless"
fUck off
lack of objective meaning != lack of meaning

>Being this retarded

>Crime and Punishment
>written directly to combat 19 century russian nihilism
>"haha raskolnikov was a nihilist thus the book supports nihilism haha life is meaningless"
for fucks sake people

Anything from Cioran I guess.

Twilight of the Idols
Tractatus Logicus-Philosophicus
The Bible
The Myth of Sisyphus
The Conspiracy Against the Human Race
Moby-Dick
White Noise
Rabbit Run
Ulysses
Ride the Tiger
If I Did It
Goodnight Moon
Decision Points

>Dostoyevsky
>nihilist
>most of his books (including C&P) depict religion in a good light

yup

>When you stop to examine the way in which words are formed and uttered, our sentences are hard put to it to survive the disaster of their slobbery origins. The mechanical effort of conversation is nastier and more complicated than defecation. That corolla of bloated flesh, the mouth, which screws itself up to whistle, which sucks in breath, contorts itself, discharges all manner of viscous sounds across a fetid barrier of decaying teeth—how revolting! Yet that is what we are adjured to sublimate into an ideal. It's not easy. Since we are nothing but packages of tepid, half-rotted viscera, we shall always have trouble with sentiment. Being in love is nothing, it's sticking together that's difficult. Feces on the other hand make no attempt to endure or to grow. On this score we are far more unfortunate than shit; our frenzy to persist in our present state—that's the unconscionable torture. Unquestionably we worship nothing more divine than our smell. All our misery comes from wanting at all costs to go on being Tom, Dick or Harry, year in year out. This body of ours, this disguise put on by common jumping molecules, is in constant revolt against the abominable farce of having to endure. Our molecules, the dears, want to get lost in the universe as fast as they can! It makes them miserable to be nothing but "us," the jerks of infinity. We'd burst if we had the courage, day after day we come very close to it. The atomic torture we love so is locked up inside us with our pride.

him and Houellebecq, something's up with the french

All Quiet on the Western Front

Did someone hurt you as a child?

>Nietzsche isn't nihilist because Nietzsche says so

Brainlet out

>Ride the Tiger
>If I Did It
>Goodnight Moon

kek'd

>rejects all religous and moral principles
Correct
>in the belief that life is meaningless
Incorrect

Whoa really? Honestly, I found that book to be filled with inherent meaning. The brotherly bond thing, the peace of nature, the love of and for mankind. The point the author was making, to my knowledge, was that these things were worth fighting for. However, the war itself denied millions these pleasures and therefore the ones we have to fight are the profiteers and politicians who push innocent youths into the meat grinder of war for their own personal gain. In fact I would say the book is explicitly a call to action that affirms peace and the avoidance of needless suffering as meaningful and important.

Nailed it

Came to post this.

I dont fucking know

Not a bad pick. I recommend The Transparency of Evil.

I don't know

I don't know .

I don't know

I don't know..

I don't know

I dont know

all you faggots don't know nuffing
striclty adhereing to a sense of plot, and even language.

true nihilist books are
-House of Leaves
-EEEEE EEE EEEE
-Finnegans Wake
-Ulysses
-The Policemans Beard is half constructed

and to make this post short
goodreads.com/shelf/show/surreal-fiction
ranker.com/list/best-absurdist-fiction-novels/ranker-books

i know
>ranker
>goodreads

but still you fags always seem to discount these types of books.

are those books good

again you can't get into nihilism with concrete thinking that good things even exist

are bose tooks something which my brain find might to be "good" or enjoyable red.

x=4 or -fishple

Say something I may understand you fucking bitch

Rick und Mordy by Thomas Pinecone

no, unless you're the kind of person that reads books for fun

please elaborate

I dint know, stop asking stupid questions

by nihilism i presume everyone ITT just means depressing?

brainlet detected

brainlet detected, also no

Keep the Aspidistra Flying

I'm new here, is this a Veeky Forums meme?

Its lit meme

No people are bullying op (me)

/b/ raid

Thanks, you all sure are fungi....s

I dunnno

bro harper lee was a racist

I don't know.. the killing joke? Joker Is a wicked protag

Albert Caraco, Bréviaire du chaos.

It has never been translated in English despite being 50 years old, so here's the first page of the original:

>Nous tendons à la mort, comme la flèche au but et nous ne le manquons jamais, la mort est notre unique certitude et nous savons toujours que nous allons mourir, n'importe quand et n'importe où, n'importe la manière. Car la vie éternelle est un non-sens, l'éternité n'est pas la vie, la mort est le repos à quoi nous aspirons, vie et mort sont liées, ceux qui demandent autre chose réclament l'impossible et n'obtiendront que la fumée, leur récompense.
>Nous, qui ne nous payons de mots, nous consentons à disparaître et nous nous approuvons de consentir, nous n'avons pas choisi de naître et nous nous estimons heureux de ne survivre nulle part à cette vie, qui nous fut imposée plus qu'elle ne nous fut donnée, vie pleine de soucis et de douleurs, aux joies problématiques ou mauvaises. Qu'un homme soit heureux, qu'est-ce que cela prouve ? Le bonheur est un cas d'espèce et nous ne regardons qu'aux lois du genre, nous raisonnons à partir d'elles, c'est elles que nous méditons et que nous approfondissons, nous méprisons quiconque cherche le miracle et nous ne sommes gourmands de béatitudes, notre évidence nous suffit et notre précellence ne se renferme pas ailleurs.

>The Stranger
>Nihilist

Wew lad

Get a load off this guy. How can someone be possibly this dumb? What is der Wille zur Macht? You clearly didn't read the book nor understand Nietzsche. You're just a memer

Eh, this sounds like a precious angsty 15 year old.
>Oh, we cannot escape death, and happiness is not real!
Yeah, we know.
>I haven't chosen to be born, mom!
Grow the fuck up Albert.

please elaborate

How? He probably thinks The Stranger is when you sit on your hand and has no idea what nihilism means.

You're missing the point.

>lmao Tolstoy wrote thousands of pages just to say "don't harm each other baka"!!!

It's badly written, it has no style, and what he writes is self-evident. I'm basing myself on the excerpt you wrote. Maybe the rest of the book is different, but for fuck's sake, it sounds like this shit I would have scribbled in my math workbook during my early teens.

The point is for you to think the protagonist is a fucking asshole who is eerily too similar to yourself. Just because he expresses overtly nihilistic views doesn't mean it's a nihilistic book. He was supposed to find salvation through Jesus christ in the originally intended ending.

This is the winner and only real nihilist ITT. Cioran makes me want to die.

Hogg
Thinking about it makes me want to kill myself.

>If I Did It
>If I Did It (2006 canceled edition), retitled If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer (2007), is a book by ghostwriter Pablo Fenjves and, purportedly, by O. J. Simpson, in which Simpson allegedly puts forth a "hypothetical" description of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman. Simpson's former manager Norman Pardo told the Huffington Post Simpson was not involved in writing the book but rather accepted, against Pardo's advice, $600,000 from the ReganBooks and NewsCorp to say he had written it and to conduct an interview
Wew lad, this really is pretty nihilistic.

Metrophage by Richard Kadrey.

had a low-rent king lear feel to me

main guy lost everything by the end of the story, then just went singing into a plague-infested Los Angeles, maybe out of hope, maybe to complete the circle and fucking get coughed on by someone with ebolAIDS.

the bible

>it has no style
t. Ultimate Pleb

>finnegans wake
>nihilist

Cioran is like "nihilism for ladies" compared to Caraco, which is the really hardcore one (and he didn't die of old age like Cioran).

Retard.

The excerpt is plain and dull and not remotely insightful. Really, its banal and it sucks. The rest of the book might be better, but then I don't get why that excerpt would have been posted in the first place. It's fucking pedestrian.

>nihilism
>insightful

>implying the opinion of someone who writes "fuck" in each of his posts ITT matters

>implying the opinion of someone who doesn't write "fuck" in each of his posts ITT matters

god it's horrible in english

no doubt, no doubt

>Crying of Lot 38

Philipp Mainlander - Die Philosophie der Erlösung

>God prefers and decides upon non-being.
>God's essence is his immediate obstacle to his entrance into non-being.
>His essence needed to disintigrate into a world of multiplicity, the individuals of which each desire non-being.
>Give this desire, these beings become obstacles to each other, striving against one another, weakening one another's strength.
>The complete essence of God came into the world through a form which was transformed in series of certain forces.
>The entire universe has one goal, which is to reach non-being. It achieves this through the continuous weakening of the sum of its forces. Here is referred the growth of entropy.
>Each individual must arrive at the exhaustion of his strength to the point that his desire for extermination can be fulfilled.
>The true liberation of man lies in suicide.

philosophy is really getting prepared to death in the sense that it focuses (on what descartes separated from the body in science discipline), trying to delve into the mind and what only it contains. this is called logos and greeks believe that it's the only thing that exists after bodily death. so philosophy is just an effort to be immortal in a heidegerrian negative sense but also many islamic scholars confirm this, it's interesting. really worlds apart from christianity.

(note that islamic scholars don't exist [apart from institutional clerics who have nothing at all to do with this] they're called derwishes who live the thought and the thought only in their heads, dismissing whatever is out there as illusion/passing)

Short short story by Merimee- Mateo Falcone.