Lunch Poems

Never see O'Hara discussed here

O'Hara is great. "A Step Away from Them" is my favorite in Lunch Poems, though I always laugh at following:

>Wouldn't it be funny
>if The Finger had designed us
>to shit just once a week?
>
> all week long we'd get fatter
> and fatter and then on Sunday morning
> while everyone's in church
>
> ploop!

I would enjoy running into you in a bar, user.

O'Hara is a hoot

He's shit. It's not even poetry

Bump

Love O'Hara, one of my favorite poets. He's excellent, so intimate and charming, like the rest of the New School but in his own way. The Day Lady Died is one of his best.
Is the earth as full as life was full, of them?
I really, really like Adieu to Norman, Bon Jour to Joan and Jean-Paul in Lunch Poems. For Grace, After a Party is another favorite.
I will say O'Hara's early poems are almost all dogshit. We get it, you like Rimbaud.

The fags on lit all think poetry has to have a strict meter and rhyme scheme like the olden days so don't expect a discussion around a free verse poet

this is one of the best from Lunch Poems.

any of you fools fuck with some Frank Lima?

Classic NYC poet

Never heard of him.

Guess I wasn't missing much.

Isn't there already a slam poetry thread for you?

Love that poem, my favorite of his shorter poems.
You're a retarded fucking pseud

If you like O'Hara you should check out Anne Waldman or Frank Lima

Here's a rare ass Orlovsky poem that I show everyone I meet

this made me want to be happy again

Who is this

Oh sorry you said it

isn't it so fucking good?
good luck finding more than the four poems of his that are online in various places.

ever since reddit invaded Veeky Forums seems to have an affinity for these freeverse hacks like O'Hara and Bukowski.

Fact is he's trash and respectable academics like myself and my social circle don't even think of him.

lol nobody cares what you think, you fuckin nerd. take your big flappy butthole back to wherever it is you came from where people are allowed to have such biiiiiigggg ol flappy buttholes just draggin behind em all the time.

nerd ass bitch

Shut the fuck up you dumb cunt, even the neo formalist poets I know respect O'Hara.
Obviously no one respects Bukowski except stupid high schoolers.

May as well read Rupi whatsherface

>even the neo formalist poets I know
I apologize, when I said intellectuals I wasn't talking about your co workers at Mcdonalds. Do you guys jerk each other off in real life too?

Suck my dick sadboi

really kind of reminded me of brautigan

>burst from my breast
>my crying stops
>I piss anywhere
this reads like any emo middle schoolers diary. shit is gay as fuck. Makes me wonder if the anons that were praising it were rubbing their vaginas while they read it?

>middle schoolers
>rubbing their vaginas
>read it?

no i haven't read "middle schoolers rubbing their vaginas" you fucking creep.

Frank doesn't seem to be doctrinally sound, and indeed many of his poems I feel fall embarrassingly flat - but when he's on, he's on, and if he isn't profound, yet he has some effect

Doctrinally sound might be a cumbersome phrase - I just mean to say that he was highly individualistic and to form any rigor or school around him would be to misunderstand him

i'm a big fan of his but I definitely agree. sometimes I read him and I feel like I'm doing chores, but when he gets ya he really get ya

The neo formalists I know are tenured professors

I doubt that. I doubt that a lot.

I don't really care

read lunch poems and none of it did much for me but to be fair I haven't read a lot of poetry so maybe it's just me but i do think he seems to have a thing thats maybe just not what I like in poetry where its like fast city walking words going by and maybe that is the point of the lunch poems like you're on a lunch break in nyc and everything is rushed and busy and so maybe thats what there is to get but i don't know for me its just not my thing i guess but i never been to nyc

Having a Coke with you is a good poem - it's sickly sweet almost but you just have to accept it haha

TOPEST of keks, omfg

Bump

I think the thing with O'Hara is his voice and intimacy; if you don't care for either of those things then he probably isn't for you.