Carl Gustav Jung

anima projection edition

>Favorite book of his?

>Least favorite?

>What's something you don't "get" (or alternatively, dismiss from his at exclusion to the rest) out of his concepts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PjRQbJPULx4
youtube.com/watch?v=zMHqqXYaB8g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Im reading the volume9 part1 right now and am at the mother archetype. It's challenging but so eyeopening to read it.

I like the three Alchemy books very much and still own them. Though not a Jungian I found him an extremely able, even seductive, writer and I've read embarassingly much of him- perhaps 12 of the 15 full Bollingens. Because I read him very young (teens!) much of it isn't fresh. But I do remember liking the quaternity stuff, whereas the mandela stuff left me high and dry or simply blank.
So seductive is he that when reading him one catches oneself dreaming Jungian dreams and, in my case, consistently ruining the process via anima rejection.
>t. a prude even in dreams.

I had the weirdest dream after reading a book of his. I don't remember much of it but I'll try to remember what I can.

>Be at a house I've never been at
>I dig into my pocket and pull out a plastic baggie and while Im pulling it out the coke falls out.
>I walk into another room and see my cousin playing cards with some people I don't know.
>He asks me if I still have his coke.
>I panic and say no while I pull out the plastic bag from my pocket
>He goes "Are you sure you don't have it? Dig deeper"
>I go back in my pocket and feel a bunch of coke and put it all back in the bag and give it to him.
>He smiles and I leave the room
>I go into the garage where three black women are playing around and dancing with each other
>I get horny as hell
>They walk over and talk some and then start dancing on top of me playfully.
>I think Im going to grab her by the pussy
>I do. While Im grabbing her I cum in the dream and IRL (first wet dream ever)
>I wake up as I orgasm

What the fuck. I also started taking zinc around this time so who knows what was happening.

That's amazing. If youre not a complete human being (and lucky as Odysseus) then who the fuck is? An African tri-partite anima!
I just became hyper aware of my dreamings circular structure (environment) and of a shadow not trailing me, but ever at right angles to my vision. A beautiful young woman once or twice entreating me to follow her, once gazing at me short distance with kiss me eyes that I somehow pretended not to notice. Also in two of the dreams a character who post facto reminds me of Ubu Roi, and a snarky little kid in 18th century sailor garb..

always wanted to read aion. is it any good?

Where do I start with this guy

Archetypes is where I draw a line, to be honest. The idea is rooted in deep confirmation bias without proper examination. Lots of people seem to overemphasise their accuracy /usefulness

yes

get ready to read about Christianity and symbolism

Jung's Map of the Soul, by Murray Stein

then Memories, Dreams, Reflections and Modern Man in Search of a Soul by the man himself

Doesn't go far enough with archetypes. Ideas possess personality, IMO. Poly(heno)theism.

you could say they are the most ancient and profound memes to the point where they are ingrained into our very being, in a sense

they are pretty amorphous and hard to "nail down" but the more watching, reading, listening, interacting, contemplating and introspection i do the more 'clear' they become, so to speak. i think that's why there's such a focus on religion and mythology in Jungian paths as the people involved with that articulate it better than anyone else

its hard because woo-woo idiots like to equate collective unconscious with hiveminds and psychic-ness and past lives and eighteen other degrees of actual horseshit

Father, mother, son, daughter. These are the elements of the family. All four lived in harmony... until one day the daughter became a postmodern radfem dyke.

What is a good systematic exposition of Jung's depth psychology and mystic metaphysics?

bump

I've only read his autobiography and essays on the unconscious. Where do I go from there?
From the amazon description, I could be interested in Aion. Should I just rush to the red book?

the red book is some heavy stuff. you very well could start there.

aion and archetypes & collective unconscious i think are his most important works

Archetypes are just innate ideas.
So unless you want to maintain some bizarre 17th century tabula rasa ignoring the existence of instincts, there is nothing bizarre about them. Jung's claim is that these archetypes are partially collective (some to all humans, some maybe to only a portion).
Thing is, older philosophers largely restrained their writings about innate ideas to analytic logical/ontological morphology (idea of thing, being, cause, ...) and some more material ideas but still very "logical".
Jung extends this to more "personal" domains like ideas about survival, religion, technology, health, relations of power, sexuality, ...

t. pleb you has barely read any Jung, correct me if I'm wrong

Right now I'm interested in a "handbook" of Jungian methods and psychology more than a particular study.

The Jacobi one? Don't remember the name of the book, but it is a good synthesis on Jung's work, written by a woman who worked with him. It has a preface written by Jung himself.

Ego and Archetype by Edinger

Two Essays on Analytical Psychology

some good sections of Man and His Symbols (and a teeny bit of his other works) read in video form

youtube.com/watch?v=PjRQbJPULx4

youtube.com/watch?v=zMHqqXYaB8g

>What's something you don't "get"

why he's back in vogue with you tweens. I assume its due to that peterson self-help guy

Jung's been in vogue for ages. I first read him in my teens around fifteen years ago because he was such a prominent figure

partially due to Joseph Campbell. but since he's in the public eye and more current a lot of it is due to Peterson. he does a good job of mapping out (no pun intended) his ideas in applicable ways -- mainly archetypes and the shadow complex. Jung's not an obscure writer but he is abstract and his work is not easily digestible for someone who is new to the sphere of psychology

Freud's ideas and concepts have been so tread out that the "incorrect-ness" of them have been forgotten and the applicable/useful ones have been straight up taken for granted, so it's nice to see a balance of the depth psychologists since they can be used to reflect one another in some ways

he's got a lot of existential vibes to him and it's a credible path forward for putting yourself together. is the life-long process of individuation THE way? no. is it a flawless and infalliable way? no. but people yearn for one, and it has enough metaphysics to keep people in wondrous awe and enough meat & potatoes for joe q. public to use to fix their own personality deficiencies

A remarkably fair assessment. Well done, user.

Have any of you read Joseph Campbell's Portable Jung? Does it give a good overview of Jung, or is a survey like that just too limited to do his thinking justice?

>The human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'. Only egotism exists."

too edgy for me