Really makes me reconsider my opinon of Ayn Rand

Really makes me reconsider my opinon of Ayn Rand...

ive never read ayn rand and pr9bably never will, but people care way too much about her

this desu
the only reason why i even know about people like her and memerson is because butthurt weirdos won't stop making daily hate threads about them

it may be bad taste, but it's not as bad as liking that webcomic...

There is a reason of course, self determination goes against the globalist, immigration, 'genocide all whites', 'having kids is evil' 'all whites are evil'.

>self determination goes against the globalist, immigration, 'genocide all whites', 'having kids is evil' 'all whites are evil'.
are you retarded? it doesn't if the elite chooses that path

Pro-tip: Ayn Rand is arguably the single most influential American thinker of the 20th century, everything from politics to big business have been and continue to be shaped by people heavily inspired by Ayn Rand.

Ayn Rand was Russian.

Her detractors are infinitely worse than her prose

I don't think you get to judge an author before reading them. I guess Mr. Science and Maths thinks differently.

>implying men won't self-determine to fuck thicc brown girls and qt asians instead of entitled white chicks with flat asses
You're an idiot and/or a faggot, my guy.

You mean Mr. "Science and Maths".

She was a Russian Jewess, the most American ethnicity there is.

wew

>people start self-determining
>capitalism collapses, people start going wherever they want and having sex with whoever they want
heh, better luck next time.

ayn rand isn't so bad.

i mean her ideology is completely insane but it definitely helped me.

there are many, better thinkers that basically espouse what she espouses (and better) but they are unknown to the public.

anyway it was worth the read, better than listening to whatever the teacher was going on about at the moment.

What is the point of the fourth panel?

it's there for balance

It's interesting that Ayn Rand is one of the few authors whose ideas aren't even allowed to be engaged with even negatively.

wat

You're right. I did mean that.

If you say "Ayn Rand was an idiot", "Ayn Rand's novels are written terribly" people will think you're find. But if you say "Ayn Rand is guilty of behaviorism and indeed subjectivism in her writing, which is ironic given that she calls her philosophy objectivism", people treat you like a pariah.

This desu. She deserves to go to limbo. She had a few decent ideas she decided to expose in verbose poorly characterized novels that are too long for their purposes.

>(((Russian)))
You were begging for it.

Isn't that just a more explicated version of calling her a terrible writer?

Not him, but I think he means that, when you mention the particularities on why her writing is flawed instead of blindly hating on it, you're the enemy. And the reason is clear: they haven't read her and have only formed a second-hand opinion, and think less of you for actually having your own opinion.

I get the brown girls thing, but where exactly does the whole asian fetish thing come from, honestly?
besides animu weebism obviously

BULLSHIT
I offer reasons as to why I hate a book and I get like three responses
You give a fucking XKCD style webcomic that just says the books is bad and you get 27+ replies

See
I always hate how objectivism is taken to be synonymous with libertarianism. I had to read Anthem in middle school and the most I got out of it was that she could only make arguments against collectivism by setting up a strawman.

CUTIES

this is the best you could come up with man

It's a culture rife with small, intelligent qts who have a strong background of tradition. Lots to positively juxtapose with western women.

>xkcd
>The John Oliver of webcomics

do you actually believe any of that?

it's more than what this guy said; they're so bent on extirpating her that they don't even want you to 'legitimize' her by engaging with objectivism on the merits.

Asians are on average smaller than Westerners
Asians are on average the smartest race
Asian cultures are, at this point, more traditional than the West
There are a very large number of Asians, which means there's a fair number of cute ones simply due to basic distributions.

Yeah I believe all of it

I don't care for Ayn Rand (obviously) but the idea of a blatant STEMfag telling anybody they have terrible taste is amusing

Also the irony of his numerous anti-elitism comics

what did he mean by this?

The fact that people hate her so much and so vehemently discourage reading her I s what makes me suspicious

Really gets the noggin rolling

Honestly it does for me too. When people hear of most authors/philosophers they just shrug, but bring up Ayn Rand and they suddenly get this white hot fury and think she is the worst person ever. It's like her individualist worldview is the most offensive thing they could imagine. It's hard not to get the feeling that most people are afraid she's right, in a way.

>you have terrible taste if you like Atlas Shrugged
>Atlas Shrugged is like a fantasy novel lol
>Ayn Rand was a hypocrite
Why do people struggle so hard to form actual criticism against her?

A lot of people (including all individualists) hate Rand because she and her followers are closet authoritarians, and because Atlas Shrugged is a 1200 page, horribly written piece of revenge-fiction genre trash.

Just finished reading Atlas Shrugged

I wonder how her editors didn't make her cut Galt's speech down to like 10 pages.

I've dropped Atlas Shrugged midway through it without even knowing about all the hate
And since i also bought Fountainhead ive been putting it aside for a long time
Is it any better than Atlas shrugged?

i have read the fountainhead and even though most people hate her for some reason, i found it personally insightful. it really made me take responsibility for my life and have the will to fulfill whatever potential i have.

One could excise half of the book and lose nothing meaningful.

The laborers in truth have little power since their livelihood depends entirely on the accomplishments of their betters. Without the men of the mind the laborers have nothing to produce and since they're so replaceable they have little power.

>Without the men of the mind the laborers have nothing to produce

I think you've been made to consume so much utter bullshit in your life that at this point it's just spewing from your fingertips.

Great argument, you sure told me.

A cursory analysis shows that the only thing that makes a laborer dependent on "men of the mind" is his categorization as such. This is a label (that is, "laborer") he wears proudly. No on is insinuating a notion of culpability for the current state of affairs, if that's what you think: the proletariat are as "guilty" as the bourgeoisie. So this moral codification of the division of labor is what really keeps status quo going, but that moral codification lives only in the human mind, which is where the law also essentially lives.

Laborers make their betters by belief in themselves as only laborers. This is why they get cynical and make jokes about "egg heads" etc. They half-consciously understand that their prison is of their own making.

So, the laborers are just brainwashed innit? Regardless, it won't change the fact that the laborer is replaceable, the creator is not, but either cannot exist without the other.

really makes me reconsider reconsidering my opinion of ayn rand...

Aren't those people just reacting against the promotion of Ayn Rand by elites, though? I mean, it's not an accident that her book is as well-known as it is.

whats the point of the last panel?

it's there for balance

Hnnnnggg

>literally /r/iamverysmart: the comic

>better thinkers that basically espouse what she espouses (and better)
like ?

Rhythm I guess. The guy is dumbstruck so its there to emphasize that.

I don’t care about her politics. A good book by a Jew or a Nazi is a good book.

That said, Ayn Rand was a terrible writer. Flat characters. Strawman antagonists. Dull plots. Amateurish prose.

If not for the libertarians with a hard on for her laughable attempt at political philosophy, she would be a footnote in history at best.

Agreed. Ayn Rand deserves criticism for her writing, since included a fucking 50 page speech into her novel, and her beliefs are incredibly overrated by her fan base, but she's not nearly as terrible as liberals and leftists make her out to be. In fact, Rand's harshest critics are often ideological lunatics who read way more into her work than is there. Most people are going to read Anthem, for example, and think it's just a nice love story.

I'd rather talk with an Objectivist about the merits and flaws of Ayn Rand's beliefs than with some emasculated communist who hasn't even read Atlas Shrugged or the Fountainhead and just wants to fit in with his degenerate friends. Sorry, but bashing a book without even reading it does not make you an intellectual, it makes you the exact opposite. Go back to plebbit with the rest of the pseuds who don't read books, let alone read with the principle of charity.

I've only read the fountainhead and she doesn't deserve hate based on this book. It tells you to follow your own desires. It is parodied as jus b yourself but it's not far off.

The fact that lefties hate this so much is telling. Also lmao at rand having their number with Elsworth toohey and Gordon Prescott

Being an influential American thinker is like being the smartest 6 year old

Her political and aesthetic philosophy is garbage. If “follow your dreams” is your idea of a profound message, you should stick to Chicken Soup for the Soul.

Again, it’s not her message. She’s a terrible writer. It’s not even debatable. If not for her cult, we wouldn’t waste more than a few words on her as a historical oddity.

>reconsider

You mean you thought highly of her before? The Ayn Rand hate is one of the few things plebs have got right.

this image acts as if the laboreres would know how to produce the stuff they do on their own...which they don't.

She's not a terrible writer. Only pseuds say that. You don't have preferences. You claim to like writing that lefties tell you to like.

I didn't say follow your preferences was profound but your criticism tells me everything. You abhor simplicity and see it as a dead end compared to your fallacious leftist "dialectic".

And I don't care about her dumb cult.

I don't get why everyone shits on her prose. I think it's pretty good. She has a cool, dramatic way of describing things.

Is this the same guy who makes all those stick figure comics about smart bull shit?
Seems like he's using his influence as a "smart person!!1" to push his opinions.
Just like that dumb Rick and Morty show.
HEY GENIUS, YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE ISN'T SMART PEOPLE, IT'S RETARDED SHEEP FOLLOWERS.

Pseuds scorn simplicity.

Bear in mind that the people on this board defend the academics and "philosophies" that are criticised by Sokal.

Wonderful

Oh boy

My leftist dialectic?
So having taste and finding the quality of her prose and the profundity of her thought lacking makes me a leftist somehow?
This is absolutely charming.

Kurt Vonnegut was simple and yet brilliant. Ernest Hemingway was even simpler. These men wrestled with language and drilled it down until it was as clear as possible.
Ayn Rand was a know-nothing blowhard with a pretty awful grasp of the English language. Her prose is flat and often ugly. The fact that her cultists can’t see past this shows just how much their politics have poisoned their aesthetic sense.
Leftists do this as well and it should embarrass them all.

Again, you attack the level of profundity you say that I talked about when I never mentioned that.

>your idea of a profound message

The fact that you tried to put a that term in my mouth is telling. Typical mentality of the leftist masses. A hatred for simplicity.

You’re trying to hard to provoke a response, darling. Go back to reading your Ayn Rand YA novels and let us know when you’ve graduated to reading big boy lit.

>Le corn xD
>Le riverrun xD
>Le dialectic of history >:)

Don't you let anyone tell you your English professors at North Wichita State University never had all the answers, li'l trooper! The uneducated masses don't have the honesty to be on our level!

I’m disappointed by your attempted rebuttal. I will allow you to try again.

Objectivism is a really embarassing name for an ideology but I'm halfway through Atlas Shrugged and I'm really enjoying it just as a fictional novel.

The Fountainhead is much better.

I have that too, and We the living. Found them all at once in a used books store.

The only good thing out of Fountainhead is Toohey. The rest is definitely inferior to Atlas Shrugged

Maybe if it was only 1/3rd the length

Yo, what's with objectivism and art deco?

Like what made art deco the official art-style of objectivism?

The Fountainhead's love of skyscrapers as art, probably

Atlas Shrugged is one of the only books I never finished. I think I was 100 pp or less from the end and just put it down and that was that.

Politics aside, it was just a poorly written book consisting of wooden text and cardboard caricatures, existing solely to prove her "philosophy", which is unoriginal and juvenile at best.

A boss saw me with the book shortly after starting it and said, "what are you doing reading that??" as if it was a censored book. That compelled me to give it the college try, but it just didn't do it for me and the controversial reputation is undeserved IMO.

I like to read books that challenge my opinion or disagree with my beliefs, so it wasn't like I was threatened or it was "too long".

Her philosophy wasn't all that unoriginal when she wrote the book. She also correctly predicted how communism's ideological failings would cause its downfall. I think her boldest claims have just been watered down with time as they became more commonly stated.

I still don't understand how anything about this book is controversial but I also don't understand the world around me anymore.

Fun fact: objectivism is probably one of the most influential philosophies of the 20th century. Rand wasn't writing with an ivory tower circlejerk in mind, that's why her shit became so relevant

This is a retarded distinction, "men of the mind" as you call them, engineers and designers, are labourers, not capitalists.
"Labourer" isn't restricted to oil-covered wrenchmen.

>Rand wasn't writing with an ivory tower circlejerk in mind
"Ivory tower circlejerk" is a very apt definition for the end of Atlas Shrugged though.

>wasn't writing with an ivory tower circlejerk in mind
>book is about a safespace for genius millionaires.

So what? Doesn't mean that her ideas have not been absolutely instrumental in shaping the world in which we now find ourselves in (especially after the fall of the Soviet Union)