Best novels of all time by Bookdepository

Bookdepository just released their "best books ever" list.
>bookdepository.com/bestbooksever

What do you think? Is bookdepository /ourstore/?

> Stephen King
> John Green

Nah

Lists compiled on the basis of sales numbers are intrinsically disingenuous.

>Lists compiled on the basis of sales numbers
Luckily for you this list isn't, one wonders what you're even doing here

Only like 10% of the books are really terrible. Most of them just bestselling "classics" from the last couple decades. A third of them are really good.

imagine being an npr-listening nu-male who forces himself through one of these sorts of lists (at least as far as his feeble brain is capable of carrying him) in a desperate bid to become more 'cultured'. In the end what would this person have to show for it?

the Raison d'Être of Wikipedia

Do I even need to say it?
E U R O C E N T R I C

Of course it is, because literature and intelligence are Eurocentric

most of the intellectual capital is in europe

Most philosophy papers are published out of the united states.

Stephen Hawkin...

>all of this garbage by female authors placed on the list for political reasons
>anne ''my vaginey makes weird noises' frank's diary on the fucking list

Anne Frank's diary is a great piece of fiction what are you complaining about?

>not in some part based on sales
Oh I get it we only ironically pretend these are shitty genre fiction. How did you get here anyway? Looking for friends to discuss how Drumpf is literally Voldemort?

>Faust Part 1
Probably the most confusing entry on this list. I'm going to assume they didn't read it and just knew it was something they had to include (other books/series were given a single slot so they could have just said parts 1 & 2 but chose not to).
>The Story of the Eye
A meme book that is funny for about 10-20 pages but quickly becomes repetitive trash.
>all the lite scientific material
Classic trying-to-prove-I'm-smart-despite-majoring-in-humanities tier. They will name drop references to the material completely out of context in their lit theory classes.
>all the high school literature
They are just smart enough to pick the high school required authors while choosing a second novel from them that they were not required to read. As if to say, "I've looked into these authors a little more deeply than most"

>king
>green
>the little prince

what a shitty lis...

>tfw Svejk is on it

midbrow as fuck (with some lowbrow and highbrow books mixed in)

just look at 1000 books to read before you die, it still has a few shitty books and a lot of good stuff not included (there are thousands of books worth reading) but it's a good starting point

Eh, could be worse. At least it's not a dumpster fire like /r/books top 100.

"Philosophy"

As it should be, you retard

Psst... they're owned by Amazon.

...so?

> wuthering heights
> breakfast at tiffanys
> catch 22
> all quiet on the western front
> Frankenstein
> Stephen fucking King
> a suitable boy
> lost illusions
> les miserables
> Freud
> Marx
> the art of war
> John Green
> Jung
> Portnoys Complaint
> Goodbye to Berlin
> Eichman in Jerusalem
> Anne Frank

So this is what being a good goy pleb is about. Holy shit, it's like half this list was compiled by first year sociology undergrads.

I hope to God the one with the strawberry isn't fucking Twilight

How did Svejk get popular in the first place with normies enough for it to be on a list like this? Always thought he and Czech literature were good but a little undervalued in the mainstream eye.

Remove the pop sci-lit like Hawking, and Green and it's a legit decent list. I think IT deserves to be on there since it's one of King's novels with the most depth I think and I could see them studying it in classrooms 100s of years to come.

so which of the other continents are you from?

> catch 22
> all quiet on the western front

these two are great

>They said it couldn't be done, but we did it; we put together a list of the best books of all time.
no you didn't

>When we say best books ever, we're talking top tier stuff; bucket list material, books that you'd save in a fire
kek

>But when we published this list, a strange thing happened. You (whisper it quietly) disagreed with us... and sent in your own selection of the greatest novels of all time
ohhhh, you pussies caved to the unwashed masses... i should have known.

I think we should all be grateful Harry Potter isn't on there for once. I'm honestly surprised about that. Figured that or ASOIAF would somehow make it in, surprised about IT but that's probably due with the new movie being out.

>Catch 22
Go read Journey to the End of the Night, it's a less Reddit version of Catch 22

fuck, i fell for a god damn meme.

"Most popular" would be a better title, as this is probably just designed to sell books off the site. As a whole it's ludicrous, but if it introduces a kid to Midnight's Children or Dickens, so what?

>wuthering heights
>catch 22
>les miserables
>the art of war
>Jung

What's wrong with these? They are a bit entry-level but they are all good books.

What do you mean... "(((so)))" ? It's self explanatory