The state of Veeky Forums: permitted meta thread

How do we create nodes of quality seriousposting amidst the nonstop shitty low-effort joke threads?

I don't mind shitposting but nearly every thread is now a dumb gay little reference to the Wikipedia summary of a book or author. It isn't even funny shitposting.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/thread/S426778
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

run naked through the forest and see if the wood nymphs snatch you and then try to supplicate them for the answer, possibly in return for use of your asshole.
always works for me, waterhouseposter

make a thread on an actual book that proles wont have some immediate politicized take on

i'd be more likely to do quality seriousposting if i thought the thread wouldn't be randomly deleted by the mods and replaced with a peterson advertisement or dfw face dump, you only have to get burned a few times by writing a 10 minute reply, hit post and get "404 specified thread does not exist" before you never invest more than 30 seconds in a reply again

Can we end the misogyny already. For a board who complains about /pol/ so much you guys are just as worse.

holy fuck this

My diary desu

Do us a favour and stop posting entirely.

it's misanthropy and people were a mistake.

Nope, its quite clearly aimed at women.

i don't know

Bugs...

In all serious though I feel like i'm the only one here who makes good seriousposts, probably because I'm better than all of you. But that's ok because this is Veeky Forums, which is foremost an internet humor site .

Quiet, hole.

If you're only aiming it at women then you're doing it wrong. Or are you only aiming your sympathy at women and their existence? Stop calling only women failed abortions, and look at your godawful life, man. You need to realize the centaur was right and things would be better if momma never met poppa.

>which is foremost an internet humor site .
It's not, please go back to redd*t.

Stricter moderation.

Permaban everyone on /pol/ at this very moment. Doesn't matter what's actually going on right now on /pol/, hit them all with the banhammer. Instant upgrade.

rangeban america, canada, UK. monolinguals out, no more /pol/ thinking anyone cares about their problems.

>Stop responding to obvious /pol/ bait threads.
>Don't talk about books you haven't read as if you've read them
>keep it Veeky Forums. I don't wanna hear your shitty complaints about millennial and feminism.
It's easy desu

Bitch I could post a billion examples of internet humor derived from this site. Every single board is 75% humorous shitposting or attempts at it.

If you take Veeky Forums seriously you're extremely out of touch and probably somewhere on the spectrum.

what the fuck do you post on that this happens
never happened to me
eat shit; stop lurking in shit threads

JUST USE THE FUCKING CATALOG

>here let me post my r/Veeky Forums screenshots
Please don't. And since your new: not every board is /b/ or /tv/. Nobody claims funny posts are bad but just forcing offtopic joke threads to have an EPIC screenshot for upvotes is destructive and annoying.

>If you take Veeky Forums seriously you're extremely out of touch
Then stay on the random boards. Some boards ARE for people who take interest in these things and tend to produce high quality content for what it's worth.

This. At least allow flags so we can filter them

Veeky Forums is terminal.

use it /r/literature. its actually on topic and moderated to stay on topic. only problem is its slow moving.

we could fix that

inb4 moaning about leddit.....its better than here. 420chan has a better /literature board than Veeky Forums for fucks sake.

>Veeky Forums turns out to be just brazil, finland, one guy in china (probably you know who), and greeks.
no, let's just range ban the anglophones

Then why not stay there? This would also fix the slow rate if you posted more on there.
Why the fuck do redditors do this "it's actually better there" and then proceed to drag this website into the shitter?
Reddit the redditors. I for one prefer a place with as little reddit as possible.

define high quality content

The Veeky Forums sticky for example.

Veeky Forums's biggest problem is it's seeming nonexistent moderation. Do we have no jannies?

You really think that would prevent them from expressing their stupidity? They stir up shit even where there is none. And that's all of Veeky Forums.

>mods

This is a good place to start. Do moderators even care about the quality of this board? Consider that before posing your questions, OP. Because it can be an impressive thing indeed if the whole of Veeky Forums can suddenly finish the reading list and come together to discuss the finer points of literature, BUT this is much much harder if you have a "valve" controlling the "flow" of the "tap"

not a definition, broken youtube links, different links within sticky contradict each other, complete disregard for calisthenics

There's one or two autists who keep posting Jewish conspiracy threads, or threads that conveniently set up someone else to respond with "I recommend Culture of Critique!!!"
It doesn't bother me when it pops up now and then but the painfully obvious samefagging and attempts to influence the board with the same shit again and again are getting very irritating and details threads often.

*derails

The mods have ruined everything by deleting good threads about Cleveland or Writing Advice and allowing the /pol/lest /pol/ trash.

I'd like to find out if there was a place to go to find out the MEGA sites that have epubs and pdfs of books we can download. Looking for some good sci fi books like Dune

>not a definition
See this is why you should stay on the epic screenshot boards.
>define high quality content
Content of high quality. It is undoubtably clear from context that I meant content about the respective boards subject that gives great insight into the subject.
And from the beginning I said this can also mean humorous light-hearted threads.
But this "haha lol this is the epic Veeky Forums with all those crazy screenshots i saw" is completely wrong and it's people like you that drive the quality of the boards down

There are more than enough boards for random posting. Going to the literature board and then say "if you want to discuss literature don't come to Veeky Forums" should be bannable.

Your parents made a horrible mistake in not mashing you up with a coat hanger when you were just a little fetus.

>Prude-ass janny deletes and spoilers provocatively dressed women and peaches
>Does not give a fuck about totally non literature related politics threads

Moot should have just closed this site.

>Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature. If you want to discuss politics, go to /pol/.

Fuckin finally

this

Veeky Forums is a board for people that want to seem smart
and that is why it is shit. Opinions are cheap, the laziest kind of OC outside of parroted opinions.

>Moot should have just closed this site.

naw! it acts as a containment site so that other parts of the internet don't turn to shit.
Can you imagine how bad reddit would be if Veeky Forums got shut down?

Then leave. It's not like you'll be missed. You can have all your epin funposts on the random boards, and all the literature discussion on better places than Veeky Forums. It sounds like the perfect solution for you.

No I'm going to keep shitting up this board because it pisses off pretentious pseudo-intellectuals like you. BTW, you fucks keep suggesting literature every time video games or anime is brought up as a 'mature and enlightened' alternative. I crap on your quality and smear it all over you and your high horse

The only thing you can really do is continue to read and educate yourself while contributing only quality posts and responses to the sincere and never greentexting or engaging in Veeky Forums humor.

What point are you ultimately trying to make

Seriously, what the fuck is with the jannies and lewdness?

It's literally the only thing I've seen them delete. I've gotten warned for posting a cute girl in a swimsuit yet there's still totally off-topic threads and low-effort shitposts all over the place.

Does Veeky Forums have Shariah law or something?

As this is a meta thread, what's the bugs meme?

This

There's no explanation. One time someone posted a thread with fat bugs in the OP, someone said the meme, everyone laughed for no good reason.

I heard old Greek people would nitpick on each other all the time for fun and I thought I should give it a try. I also like being concise.

Two threads that were kinda humorous last night were deleted.
-My thread where I and other anons were re-purposing Bukowski lines to convert them to the bugs meme.
-A >Stoner >doesn't smoke weed thread
Meanwhile we have /pol/ bait and a thread where people are arguing about whether it's worse to be an ugly man or an ugly woman. The mods have deemed that these threads are more lit related than the two I mentioned.

remove the christian forum sliders
there's literally an entire board for the discussion of religion, and they spam Veeky Forums with the exact same "what bible should I get" threads. Not to mention the two separate """christian literature""" generals

>Opinions are cheap, the laziest kind of OC outside of parroted opinions.
I would fucking love it if people came here and regurgitated opinions of people they;ve read and standard summaries of texts written in their own words. That would be fucking great actually.

>Seriously, what the fuck is with the jannies and lewdness?

moot used to say that the only thing that shouldn't be on blue boards is pussy and dick.

I post a gif of a woman eating a bnana and get b&.

what sort of fucktard wants to be a janitor anyway?

haven't seen d&e, fabulous etc for a long while....do you think they became janitors?

Misogyny is Veeky Forums
A troubled man with any depth will almost always have spite toward women. Having to see such beauty everyday and knowing they will never love or even associate with you. Gorgeous young girls don't care how poetically you can express you appreciation for them, and will even look down on you for it. It's hard not be resentful when faced with this

This is the first step. Until we get major issues fixed like moderation, just follow this

Or be gay like Auden

Serious question, how do we fix moderation?

This. The sorry state of Veeky Forums is due to the userbase above all, which isn't going to change any time soon, so simply adjust your standards, read a lot, contribute a little, and be the change you wish to see in the board. Don't stress over things outside of your reach.

General threads should be unconditionally banned. No Christian generals, no classical conservatism generals, no SFFG, no writing critique generals, no generals whatsoever. Generals are a tumor on any board they appear on, growing from a benign cyst to a terminally cancerous fifth-limb.

If your thread is not about a specific piece of literature or author it should not be allowed.

Because I've made peace with my role in life. I am not a participant, I am a spectator. It is my job to be on the outside looking in, but never touching.

>no SFFG
No these are needed. There has to be genre fiction containment

I've never found this desu. Most generals seem to tidy the boards up.

If you allow one you leave yourself open to the question of where is the limit. If /sffg/ is allowed then are threads for other genres allowed? If genre specific generals are allowed does this also extend to non-fiction? Could there be a general for a specific philosophy, historical interest or religion? Then soon enough political ideology generals rear their ugly head.

Allowing any generals requires placing a lot of trust in the jannies, better to have none at the cost of having more genre fiction threads.

It's basically Veeky Forums trying to into /b/ or /tv/ humour, where we pretend to be retarded and make inane comments like seeing a picture of fat bugs and saying he should "go easy on the carrots" even tho it's off-topic and meaningless. Not that it's a majorly bad thing cuz I think the memes on those boards are fun and a good time but I'd prefer if we cultivated our own style of meme

Terrible suggestion desu. Generals are the shit

I find generals inevitably over the years will degenerate into /b/-tier enclaves where the stated topic is more of a suggestion than anything and attract low-quality posters to the board.

Kinda like inner city ghettos but for image-boards.

>growing from a benign cyst to a terminally cancerous fifth-limb
>fifth-limb
Listen to this fucking woman try to femsplain compartmentalization to men. Check your privilege you dirty, fishy scrum.

This. Genre fiction threads may be a necessary evil if we can get jannies to handle generals

Not an 'oldfag' by any means but compared to the board population today it seems like I am, as someone who was here 4-3 years ago and left.
The board is beyond repair. It was killed by a double-whammy of Hiro creating Veeky Forums and Hypersphere blowing up on reddit

Two biggest issues on Veeky Forums:

>Userbase
Currently comprised mostly of /pol/, /r9k/, people who don't read at all and just come to make bait threads, and in general just low quality posters. The only way to fix this is to just not be like this. Be the change you want to see in the board, don't respond to bait threads, read and then create thoughtful threads, and try not to get discouraged. This is Veeky Forums after all, this place will always be shitty, you will never be able to rid the board of /pol/ and shitposting unless moderation improves, so just raise your own standards and post better content. This brings us to

>Moderation
Practically no jannies and shit mods. As members of lit we can't change much about this. There are ways to of course, but for the most part the best current solution is just improve the quality of posts on the board as stated above

This board fucking sucks now

>hurr there's a book in this gif...its Veeky Forums related

I'm convinced Hiro is getting paid by the republican party to actively foster a right-wing environment on the site. This is basically what he did with 2ch as well.

It seems far too convenient that off-topic rules do not apply for /pol/, every board is welcome for political discussion that is barely related to the topic.

I get b& from /pol/ all the time if I utter anything vaguely anti-american or anything that counters the /pol/ group-think trends.

wouldn't cost much to buy off hiro and a few mods

Practically speaking Veeky Forums's problem comes from the inherent nature of general, non book specific threads. If you want to discus a book it requires a prerequisite: Having actually read the book. In this sense, book specific threads are bound to get only a small portion of the general users discussing it. Furthermore, people who are able to discuss it are generally people who actually read as a hobby, a small percentage of people. Now take the general, non book specific discussion; There are less prerequisites required to discuss it. This is why you see Jordan Peterson threads (which have nothing to do with literature) getting 200+ replies while actual book discussions barely peaking 50—The only thing you need to do to discuss Jordan Peterson is watch a 20 minute video. This in turn creates a snowball effect, where new people come to the board, see that it's filled with general, non book related discussions, and jump in straight away with their inane opinions. There is no reason to have, as there is right now in the catalog, a thread titled "How to become impulsive and blindly passionate? I need my animal side to arise because I'm falling into a void of apathy and passiveness" as it has nothing to do with literature, a book, a work of philosophy, or anything like that. Another problem comes in the form of generalized philosophy discussions, as it has the same effect of allowing low-investment posters to self-perpetuate their existence on the board without having to read anything. If the sticky was actually adhered to—that philosophy discussion has to be about a specific book—then this wouldn't be a problem.
Then you have the "ideological battleground" posters who think the entire internet is a grand-strategy game of turning one website/board "left-leaning" or "right-leaning" by engaging in pathetic bait threads, ironically acting like a caricature of their ideological enemy, and generally shitting up the board. It baffles me that someone would spend their time posting variations on the theme of "culture of critique" in every thread, pretending to be a retarded /pol/ user, attempting to turn people against /pol/. The same goes for /pol/ fuckers posting Marxism bait threads. We don't want to discuss politics.
As long as moderation remains so passive, anyone who wants to actually discuss literature is fighting an uphill battle against a horde of low-investment posters. There isn't much you can do to stop that.

Nah, generals are good because they are easier to filter.

The board is fine and it's a positive thing to have moderators who don't rule with a heavy hand and allow a free-range of discussion. That is what distinguishes this place from reddit, lest we forget. What the same handful of people are complaining about is the increase in users who are aware of and speak openly about the jewish question in related threads dealing with postmodernism, Marxism, and a few other topics. But that comes up because it's impossible to separate those topics from the heavy jewish involvement in their origins and cultural perpetuation, and only bothers a small subset that seems larger than it really is because they are more prone to whine and complain loudly: jews and numale-type kids whose postmodern identities are tethered to the contemporary leftist zeitgeist. The issue, however, ultimately lies within these people and results from their inability to grasp or confront reality; the facts are the facts, the information is in, these people just don't want to accept it for whatever reason.

Other than that gorilla in the room, there is usually good advice given and often decent discussion about important books in the western canon, so I don't really see a big problem other than that which revolves around the posters mentioned above, who are far more of an issue, as they often scream at the top of their lungs and cause disruptions when those wiser and better-read than themselves present information that challenges the mainstream narrative embedded within them. But again, such antics and childish behavior stem from a small cohort. This is a board dedicated to the discussion of white culture. It's very natural that those who are the most educated on and passionate about it have a strong sense of who they are and a desire to protect it from those whom it doesn't belong to, or who mistakenly believe this bred-in-the-bone aspect can or should be left out or not spoken of. If you want to live in that type of fantasy realm, you don't belong here, you belong over at reddit; and you are doing a disservice to others and demeaning the spread of knowledge itself when you try to stifle discussion and promote censorship policies that would only cause this place to resemble reddit. We only need one reddit. More moderation is not the answer and I'd like to see more shaming on here when posters advocate for more moderation, which of course implies more moderation of the viewpoints in opposition to their own.

>As long as moderation remains so passive, anyone who wants to actually discuss literature is fighting an uphill battle against a horde of low-investment posters.

I always knew it was fundamentally the mods fault.

>there is usually good advice given and often decent discussion about important books in the western canon

you can't be this new. either that or you're an easily impressed brainlet.

>The board is fine
Dropped.

>I'm convinced Hiro is getting paid by the republican party to actively foster a right-wing environment on the site.

i think you're onto something, Veeky Forums traffic was declining when moot sold it, then suddenly it's the meeting place for every redpill rightwing jackass on the internet and traffic is back up because it gets into the mainstream media like nytimes and wsj every other day when they do stories on trump and the alt-right etc.

to be honest, the latest /pol/ type meme threads have been such good bait, i think we have to consider it's the opening hook for our novel we've been looking for.
we might cause a werther effect type classic sensation.

It's literally solely because of the mod

>you now manually remember the previous mod who for a period of about 3 months removed all bait threads, all politics threads, all threads about youtube videos, all 'look here's something someone said on [social media platform] that I disagree with and is barely related to literature'-threads, all atheism/religion threads, all 'why can't women/blacks write' threads, etc.,
Whatever happened to you, lad? It must have been a full time preoccupation dealing with all the shitposters, but you did well, and for a brief period people were actually discussing literature and not muh liberals vs conservatives shit

This board has always stunk.

Maybe, but there was a time when Veeky Forums actually chiefly talked about books.

I feel like Veeky Forums has always been on a bizarre trajectory where it is always shit, but it is always getting worse. It is impressive in a way, every year it surpasses itself and sets a new standard for shittiness.

Veeky Forums used to be populated by socially awkward teens. A small percentage of them got their shit together and probably left this site for good. The rest stayed here and grew increasingly bitter and hateful

one time we had a massive thread where we wrote poems about birds and it got onto the "popular thread" section of 4chans home page. it was quite the achievement and we were all very excited

>Could there be a general for a specific philosophy, historical interest or religion?
That is not a lit problem

>grew increasingly bitter and hateful

im in my early30's now and I'm pretty sure I've mellowed out since back then

there is plenty of moderation, they delete threads all the time, you just don't feel it because the threads are just gone, it only seems unmoderated because redpill shit is left up, the mods clearly have a political agenda since moot sold it

How many posts do you make a day berating women, jews, or blacks?

The only reason I browse Veeky Forums is simply because it's not reddit. If reddit wasn't filled with the kind of content it has how, I would be there and not here. If reddit wasn't known for having "le hunger games" as recommended literature or something like that then I would have never at started coming to Veeky Forums. This has been why I've stayed for so long but recently I'm just not sure anymore. I'd hate to crawl back to /r/literature after all this fucking time but at least that place has some level of seriousness. It's just that its reddit. Whereas Veeky Forums is the place where intelligent discussion goes to die, reddit is the place where intelligent discussion stays in denial and pretends to be serious before dying.

I've browsed this board since 2010 and it's about the same as it always was. Maybe a little bit better because there is a certain degree of self-awareness and elitism that's expected of posters, unlike the earliest days when you had people making South Park references, trollface posts, and Douglas Adams threads

There are many leftists ITT who are resentful about being purged by their ideological equivalents from /pol/. Now that is different. Marxists used to be a lot more common here and much more comfortable sharing off-topic leftist viewpoints in attempts at on-topic threads, but they've since been pushed to leftypol and the backwaters of Veeky Forums. Some still hang around and poke their heads up occasionally, and they make their whiny voices heard in meta threads like these.

Anyways, they are doing their best to craft this narrative that the days of Brownbear and I'm a huge Orson Welles were some sort of Enlightenment-era French salon where people regularly discussed the complexities of Kant and didn't scoff at black literature. Then, the story goes, pol ruined everything and forced everybody to roll their eyes at Zora Neale Hurston and watch Jordan Peterson interviews with Joe Rogan.

This is just not true. Don't believe me? Check the archive.
warosu.org/lit/thread/S426778
There has always been an undercurrent of racism and rightist thought on Veeky Forums, it's just more explicit now

You're correct that more moderation will turn this board to shit, but it's already shit, just in different way. Too much moderation is bad, yes, but in the current state of this board there isn't enough right now, and because of this, the board has declined

>he doesn't remember when this board consisted solely of Marxists, Catholics, and the occasional Stirner faggot

Well-read Marxists, well-read conservatives, and annoying Stirner fags. Made for interesting threads. Now it's all ironic /pol/ posting and /pol/-tier discourse

the daily "is postmodernism a jewish trick" threads really make the board suck more than anything that sucked before

I don't get why people like you post on Veeky Forums. If you want highly controlled discussion, why the fuck are you even on this website? There are lots of websites on the internet where the mods actively defeat threads if they don't meet the "standard of quality" of the board. Veeky Forums's lax moderation and anonymity are a blessing that, clearly, not everyone can appreciate.