Literary Confession Thread

Literary Confession Thread

Fitzgerald is the one writer whose style I wish I could ape exactly but I don't like that he was such a pussy boi desu. I've read More than just Gatsby too, Tender is the Night and This Side of Paradise, all have sentences that are smart, nostalgic, and achingly romantic in the perfect sad way. Aesthetically I find his writing near perfect.

I didn't like Hemingway at first but after reading the Sun Also Rises I found that one scene, the bullfighting scene, really hit me. Then I read For Whom the Bell Tolls and loved that. I need to go back and read TSaR again.

I've never read any Joyce

I've never read any Tolstoy

Dostoevsky makes me feel like a brain let, trying to read Crime and Punishment slowly right now so I will understand

East of Eden is the best book I've ever read

I've only read half of Moby Dick (lost my copy and haven't gotten around to starting over) but I now think Melville is the greatest novelist in history, even though I'm not really informed enough to make a judgement on that. Definitely the best American Novel I know of.

nearly all of my literary acumen across the domains of philosophy, literature and art as a broader concept was motivated by the desire to learn
the most odious abuses of a person's thought, and to employ these abuses in service of comedy, amusement and irritation.

i personally do not regret this, as now in virtue of it i have a fairly broad knowledge base, but i am aware that some people may see this as spitting
on the dignity of such pursuits.

Non-fiction blows ass

I have never read a respectable piece of literature in full. Only self-help books.

I halfway resent my wife and child for making me read less by their very existence.

I like Stephen King.

I've only read Beowulf, most of the Iliad, the first 100 pages of Moby Dick, some Lovecraft, and bits and pieces of genre trash.
I enjoy reading, but I'm slow. Slower than reading aloud. I always space or start daydreaming, I think I might have ADD.
Even with as little reading as I do, I still read more than most people I know. None of my friends read. My family only reads genre trash. My mom only reads romance novels and urban fantasy, but she reads the most out of anyone I know.
idk, i don't really have anything to contribute to this board, but I like to think there are other people out there who like the same kind of books I do.

My aesthetic senses are busted. I can force myself through a gorgeous novel like Madame Bovary and not feel a thing. The only literature I care about nowadays is the kind with a direct influence on the real world, which is odd since I only enjoy interacting with the "real" world by means of my thoughts. As of now, the images of things in my head take precedence over the actual things they represent, to the point where real interactions are cumbersome and not pleasurable and totally miss whatever spirit I've conjured up in my head outright.

Dostoevsky is pleb as fuck, Russians make fun of him all the time

Americans mistaking shoddy translation for literary complexity and depth.

nah my gf is Russian, Dostoevsky is for plebs

I don't actually know how to read

Since I started my new job, I haven’t had much time for paper books, so I listen to audiobooks while driving and working. When I discuss the books, I pretend like I read the physical book instead of listened to the audiobook.

I also used to average about 1 book per day, but I’m lucky to finish 2 a week now.

I’m super ashamed of this.

I read on average 10 pages a day

>I've read more in English than in my mother tongue. As a result I struggle less when writing prose in English. My writing is kill by globalism.

>I diss most contemporary writers even though I have read less than 5 books released in the past 20 years.

>I talk about writing as my passion. I LARP as Kafka: "I am literature." I keep telling people that I'd devote myself to writing and nothing else if it was possible. Truth is, it's just a hobby.

>I always say I don't like writing poems. I do but I suck at keeping meter. It takes days to finish a poem. I don't like working so much for so few words, even though I enjoy the process.

>I had a part-time job in high-school that paid more than most full-time jobs in my country. Instead of saving up I lived the literary life meme for months.

>Sometimes I fear the only value I have in the eyes of others is the mystery of knowledge and sophistication I might or might not have. I fear that I might find out that I lack both of its ever tested.

>I love it when others call me eccentric

>I am depressed and I make it worse on purpose a few times a year to serve as inspiration. I timed it wrong once and real issues came up. I attempted suicide by hanging then but the belt came loose.

All in all I'm a self aware meme.

your girlfriend may be Russian, but she isnt very smart. Do you really think her analysis supercedes Nietzche's

1) I've read less than 1 book per year of life since my birth.

2) I think almost all modern poetry is irrelevant and boring.

3) I haven't read a single work of Shakespeare.

4) I think reading is boring because I have an internet addiction.

5) I find writing to the best of my ability feels like shitting glass.

I love A Song of Ice and Fire

Nietzsche and Stoicism can coexist in the form of bettering yourself as a human being

Free will does NOT exist, for how could one be free of his choices if everything leading up to that choice is what decides that choice? Even right now if I decided to deliberate for a moment, and then get up and drive to another city, I would be doing so as a result of a thought process that was only conjured up by everything that has been shown to me in the past.

The Taming of the Shrew is proof enough that Shakespeare is a genius, and along those lines: Comedies > Tragedies

All of Schopenhauer's essays are amazing.

You should have at MINIMUM a couple consecutive hours a day where you're not reading.

you sound like me a couple years ago--literally with the Melville and the East of Eden. Though I finished Moby Dick, I knew halfway it was the greatest.

fucking insufferable.

>self aware

LOL. I guess you're right, since there's a difference between being self aware and doing something about it.

read Shakespeare and stop playing video games--your writing will improve immensely

Where are you from fampai?

I have never read any of Shakespeare's histories. Lear, Hamlet, and Twelfth Night are three of my favorite works of literature ever, but I have never touched a history.

I own more than 25 Barnes & Noble "leatherbound" series.

1. I buy more books than I read. I'm reading about 5, of which I read about 2 daily

2. I haven't read any Anglo classic fiction author.

3. internet addiction is killing my reading time combined with work and house chores

4. For some reason, most American lit bores me.

5. there are days where I'm too depressed/out of it/lazy where I don't read

6. I read more history, operations and TOE books than I do actual literature.

7. I probably won't read DFW and never will.

I think the Dalai Llama is a great writer.
I got memed on and bought The Recognitions .
I think Kafka is funny, including In the Penal Colony.
I come up with shitposts as I'm falling asleep.