/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

>"Tom Paine's Age of Reason," Snead said, consulting his list.
>"What were the results?"
>"Two-hundred-sixty-seven blank pages. Except right in the middle the one word bleh."
Add me to the wub fanclub edition

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previously on the adventures of Vance

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?list=PLDUBWzpxa-B_LzhoAcpk_88j-dWkyByWq&time_continue=1&v=S3QmXxw7q8k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for PKD

user, I am unable to countenance this OP pic. Dangos have no relation to SFF. We would be giving people the wrong idea about what we do here.

>download ebook
>11000 pages
W-wew

Uhh, see you in 2018, I guess.

What is it?

>You write like Sanderson
>He's published but you aren't

What does writing like someone have to do with being published

Books where a protagonist enters a game or tournament of great consequence? I suppose it can be like a hunger games type of ordeal but just anything interesting.

Which fantasy books have visual aesthetics that are extremely distinct from the generic medieval drek?

You can try Split Infinity, I have the book but never got around to reading it so I cannot say how good it is.

So I just finished The Thousandfold Thought. Achamian doesn't deserve this. Please tell me that Achamian gets something other than suffering going his way in the next series.

Then you can't be that much like him

I hear Sanderson went like a decade before being published. You aren't bad, user, you just need to keep it up until you break through too :)

"The Player of Games" by Iain M. Banks.

why do all general threads always end up with deleted pictures?

Hello, /sffg/, I come to you with great hope.

I have been very interested in the fantasy genre but it has been difficult to find the sort of things I like.

I'd appreciate recommendations on any of these:

1) A world with detailed history and lineages/genealogies with a heavy focus on culture, clans and the peoples inhabiting the world.
>Example: Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, ASoIaF to some extent

2) A world with detailed descriptions of the fauna, gods, monsters inhabiting it - a fantasy ecology that is delved into in some detail, I guess.
>Example: Something like Jeff Vandemeer's Annihilation, Witcher books, Hellboy

3) Something that focuses on survival and/or nomadic lifestyles. Based perhaps in a wasteland, frozen land or a desert
>Example: Roadside Picnic, Dune, Metro 2033

Added the wrong image.

Has anyone read Tarkin?

I got it for free and normally like star wars shit

I never read it, but it's the book that first featured Sheev as the Emperor's name, so at least it has some meme value.

All of them.
you sped

Wheel of time

It just compares word frequency.

Stormlight Archive

Holy shit, this thread is dead.

Fuck you

Why? For pointing out that nobody was posting in the thread for hours on end?

I didn't say I was happy about it, or that it was going to stay dead.

Anyway, is the Liveship Traders trilogy a decent place to get into Robin Hobb's work?

It was ok. Enjoyable while reading but you'll soon forget it after

user. Be quiet. I am so fucking furious with you right now. Give me a moment to calm down and we'll talk, but for now go to your fucking room

Stumbled across this image, and it made me curious:

Are there any good books about someone from the last, say, 30 years, being frozen or otherwise rendered both immortal and incapacitated, then waking up in the distant future and having to adjust?

*inhales*

2) Edge Chronicles. Creatures out the ass, and there's usually some thought put into how they fit into the world.

petition to change /sffg/ to /spec/
petition to make OP mad

To Wolfeans: I currently have the Book of the New Sun, the Fifth Head of Cerberus, and Peace. I have read none of them. What order should I read them in?

Give me a fantasy series to read.
I've been reading nothing but non-fiction politics and philosophy for the past couple of months and I think I need to change to something different for a bit.
Though I consider my self a huge fan of fantasy as a genre, I can't say I've actually read a ton of fantasy books beside when I young.
I have had much more experience with Fantasy is other forms of media.
So the amount of fantasy series I can give for reference to my taste isn't really all that large

Series I like now:
Mistborn
LotR
Stormlight Archive
BotNS
Night Angel Trilogy (though it's been a long time since I read it)

Series I remember liking when I was young:
Eragon (Don't laugh)
The Chronicles of Prydain
Various Brian Jacques books

And that's all I can think of at the moment

I'd prefer if we just separated them and only talked fantasy here desu. Sci fi posters seem obsessed with rebbit and red pills

You should see the Discord.

The First Law Trilogy

The Wizard Knight desu. Gene "the Meme" Wolfe is always the answer.

What about ASOIAF?

I occasionally try to post about Embassytown and Stephen Baxter, but no one seems interested.

Anyone care to help with this?

Thanks

No. Start with the Farseer Trilogy, if you like the world go from there.

To elaborate, there are some things that happen in the Farseer trilogy that will help things in Liveship Traders make more sense.

There are plenty of people interested in both science fiction and fantasy, and literally nobody mentioned either reddit or "red pills" in this thread before you did.

What do you consider the most creative sci-fi novel in the past five years, whether it's actually a great book or the execution needs work and you're looking forward to watching the author improve?

Same question but for fantasy?

>mfw I read Embassytown as straight SF and didn't see the British politics at all
It was neat stuff, especially the FTL fog-void in the beginning; the split personality thing was really neat, as was the thought-disease. Can't remember any of the characters except for the half-ambassador though.

So? Doesn't stop it from happening fairly often

Best rendition of a space monarchy?
Besides LotGH of course.

pic unrelated

just finished Shadow of the Torturer, it was great but doesn't really pick up to amazing until halfway through

haven't read the others

What fantasy series have good romance in them? Not necessarily the focus, but good romance in its plot.

I already answered you

*cough*
What catches your fancy you could check goodreads for blurb and reviews. If you have a specific taste, just ask for the things you like.

Any female urban fantasy novel. Males don't write much romance.
If you want I can list some from those I read.

any books that treat superheroes as mythology?

red rising
ready player one

Quantum thief trilogy

Do you guys ever listen to audiobooks while playing video games?

I want to read some of these but never read a book off my PC, any specific programs you guys use?

I skipped the liveship and went straight to Tawny Man. Did I miss anything that wasn't explained to Fitz in some way?

Just use whatever you use to play music?
mpd+ncmpcpp master race

did i get trolled into reading this shit? i'm only a few pages in and i'm close to calling it quits. it's so fucking cheesy and bad. it's a neckbeard fantasy in the worst way possible.

>"What . . . what are you?" The guard's voice had lost its certainty. "Spirit or man?"
>"What am I?" Szeth whispered, a bit of Light leaking from his lips as he looked past the man down the long hallway. "I'm . . . sorry."

The bible.
Anything dealing with greek deities
The Bhagavad Gita

Depth of lore refers to complexity and sheer quantity.
Keeping this in mind, what has the deepest lore?

It seems that our patron God Sanderson isn't for you. Please leave sffg immediately. Don't let the tab hit you on the way out.

Sanderson is shit. I can't believe /sffg/ love him but shit on people like Gaiman and Mieville. Even Patrick Rothfuss is better than Sanderson imo.
I can only assume people like him because of his "anime style"

>that feel when you will never get to dick Donkey's 50plus housewife wet walls
>that feel when she will never read to you while your head is in her lap, and her kids and husband is out
>that feel when she will never look my way because my dick isn't of "donkey" proportions the way she likes em (where she got the idea for the trip)
just! me lads. Any books about unrequited love between a young bookish boy and a mature married woman?

Sanderson is not good. Stop trying to mislead the newfags with Mormon autism.

I thought Sanderson love was ironic, because everyone here talks about how stilted his dialogue is and compares his work to anime.

Hey, I like Mieville. Gay-man's kind of hit or miss though.

>Sanderson is shit.
*ahem* WRONG

Rothfuss is the best author in that postI actually believe that . I agree though

am I a retard for enjoying drew karpyshyn books?

What is it with mormons and the works of Elrond Hubbard?

youtube.com/watch?list=PLDUBWzpxa-B_LzhoAcpk_88j-dWkyByWq&time_continue=1&v=S3QmXxw7q8k

>because everyone here talks
>a couple persons talked
>no one couldn't be arsed to contradict them
>omg the whole sffg hates Brandonson

Donkey boy isn't female....

Yikes. His voice sounds exactly like you'd expect it to.

>start reading Hyperion
>that fucking prose that stays out of the way (by which I mean is never distracting, clunky, or purple) and yet is evocative as fuck
>the fucking pilgrims' introductions
>Silenus is so believably annoying and likeable at the same time
This is amazing.

Anyway, Brawne is totally my type and I expect to develop a crush on her pretty quickly. Assuming I do, without any explicit spoilers, how much anguish/pain should I brace for, on a scale of 1-10?

>why does one religious sect hate other
>why did the romans hate rah
>why did the Christian hate allah
>why do the Hindus hate the sheiks
>why do Mormons hate scientology

You clearly didn't even bother watching the (less than a minute long) video.

Sanderson fucking loves the book. He calls it "an action movie in book form, and a good action movie."

Has anyone read all of Gor or will I have to do it?

He loves Battlefield Earth in the same way Romney loves it.

I'm missing the first couple, otherwise I'd give it a try. There's too many though.

Just finished The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch – were false awakening / dreams within dreams / 'Inception' plots common in sci-fi prior to the 60's, or did that come around with all the dude weed?

Yes she is. Only housewives read books after 40. Donkey admits she is middle aged. Older guys don't read fiction after 30. They too busy making money and setting up a nest egg.

I believe anything is possible if you put your mind to it user.

I'll go check if they're on Mobilism. My journey begins now.

If you've read a couple of them, can you tell me how abysmal they get?

Asking again.
Any sff books with a younger male and an older female? Asking for a friend.

iirc The Stand

Fifth Head -> BotNS -> Peace

Unlike some other posters I don't think that reading Fifth Head is "necessary" before BotNS, but if you've already got it then might as well.

SF: The Eschaton Sequence books by John C. Wright. Execution has some flaws but overall pretty solid. The last book comes out in December and I'm pretty hyped to see how it all ends.

Lord of Light is pretty close, and you should read it anyway.

BotNS

www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/6xpgfn/is_there_a_fantasy_book_that_features_older_women/

How the dragons are coming back, mostly.

I mean, Tintaglia is in Tawny Man, didn't you ever wonder where she came from?

>having to use that red place to find books

>crying over this
Not him.

I'll tell you what the meaning of desperation is, it's using motherfucking goodreads new releases to find books because you've already exhausted the similar books on this thread, warosu, /lit, the thead's charts, r/printsf, book reviews, comparison sites on random blogs and tumblr.

Thankfully I found out that SF Masterworks don't have shit taste and there's very conveniently a 162 retail torrent collection of it on a site I'm on and I just go through all of the ones that look interesting.

>meme of time
>self published books
>croaker and lady
>dagger and shill series
Reddites are tame. Give me~ i mean my friend some real milf stories.
I read the stand (i want an older walking onahole during a post apocalyptic scenario)
i read bakker

Gib my friend supple milfs who charm younger males into their beds(read Tampa too)

What specifically are you looking for, maybe I can help?

You aren't that retarded autistic user who was crying all of last year that he can't find books to read because he needs this "specific exact thing" in his books, are you?

You're the one dredging for fetish bait, frogman.

I don't know. Can't start until I have the beginning y'know?

>wanting to fuck and cuddle with qt supple older women is fetish bait
Look at this uncultured swine