Man Booker 2017 Thread

Let's have a Man Booker thread!

How many have you read? Which ones did you like? Who do you think will win this year? Which one are refusing to read because you don't like the authors race/gender/creed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UTC4gMxivII
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It died when they started letting Americans into the competition, let it go

Has anyone read Autumn? My boy Baz Pierce said it was amazing so I'm keen.

that Ali Smith novel sounds absolutely awful

Come on now, user. It's only by a twist of fate that they aren't still part of the Empire, and we all know deep down they regret their rash desertion of mother Britannica. Let's not be rude for no reason.

nah, the USA has plenty of their own literary awards and is the centre of English literature, the whole point of the Booker prize was to give recognition to the Commonwealth, now it has no identity and just feels like every other shitty award

I think they let burgers into the main prize so they'd stop out-competing the third-world in the International category.

No one on Veeky Forums actually reads. This board is for discussing pseudo-philosophy skimmed from quick wikipedia searches.

This to an extent although 2015 was a good year.

Last Exit West and Dark at the Crossing looks(ed) like the only good one(s), Lincoln in the Bardo will make some Veeky Forums fans happy but its not my cup of tea.

Super weak longlist tho

>novel about a paki writing about muslim refugees
lol nope, it's just literary awards giving props to writers who write about "current issues" rather than good stories, they're cancerous and the type of thing Bloom and Nabokov warned us about

Exit West - refugee propaganda
Autumn - sentimental feminist trash with some some brexit tears
4 3 2 1: sounds pretty good actually
History of Wolves: not sure but it's a debut novel, sounds vaguely interesting
Lincoln in the Bardo: the most likely novel on this list to be good
Elmet: another debut novel? strange but it doesn't sound as good History of Wolves, feminist undertones

>History of Wolves
how far would you go to belong?

Holy Crap that tagline.

not the authors fault desu, you can imagine some shitty publisher intern throwing it out there.

I am looking forward to the lit of of the refugee diaspora, either from monstrous terrorists or sad little doe-eyed girls.

are Arab women even allowed to write? I can't think of any female arab writers

Pic related, and shes cute, and shes putting out a lot of work, both lit and essays.

On the other side, for all the Sweden jokes, do you think that muslim girls in western schools wont start to internalize our values as well? Any cultural integration in history shows that melting pots are just that.

I look forward to 2040 when some 6 year old yazidi who was married to an isis sheikh till the age of 13 escaped to germany and went to oxford and gets published

I guess they'll pretty much have to because Muslim men are getting themselves killed in religious wars or marrying native European women, if Muslim girls want to get married a lot of them will have to put Islam aside and marry a European man

I am not convinced of the /pol/ tier arguments that Islam is the stronger culture.

iCulture and McCulture are scientifically formulated to addict. Islam in Europe is going to face real challenges to maintain cohesiveness.

Western culture is more addictive but it's sterile, Islam reproduces more

does western "reproduction" count if a muslim 12 year old in Belgium sneaks a peak at her friends phone for an instagram selfie and suddenly finds herself wishing she could take off her headscarf and wear a bellyshirt?

no not really, you can like selfies but still be a Muslim terrorist who hates the West

If Westerners had children at the same rate as Muslims and the immigration was controlled yeah, they would be absorbed into Europe no problem but the sheer numbers of them are allowing Muslims to set up ghettos where they take over large areas and practice sharia law, they never have to adapt to European life

The entire list sounds awful tbqh.

I read Lincoln in the Bardo b/c it sounded interesting and the author was coming through my city's bookstore like four blocks from me. It's pretty good, definitely seems like the kind of book that could win an award like this.

This thread seems to be super /pol/ so I guess I'll clarify that LITB is a little less left-leaning than the other books sound but there is still your usual 2017 stuff (gay ghost, racist ghost to call dumb, slave ghosts operating under different rules than normal ghosts). It doesn't feel forced in so it didn't bother me too much but it is there

>This thread seems to be super /pol/
Such is the state of modern Veeky Forums

Any discussion of contemporary literature on this board leads to accusations of multicultural conspiracy, and sometimes it is warranted (getting minority sob stories shoved in our face is little different then flopsy women's novels in the 19th century).

Unfortunately this years long and shortlists were incredibly weak.

More like Man Fucker, am I right?

>man booker
>not black woman booker

it's not about /pol/ I dislike it whenever a writer shoves their political opinions in a book, left or right wing

How embarrassing for you.

Are those women or trans? I genuinely can't tell.

>implying there's a difference

Where did Nabokov warn of this? Genuinely curious.

read Strong Opinions, Nabokov hated politics and morals and psychological ramblings in fiction, he felt the narrator should be neutral

>only complaint is it sounds too feminist

youtube.com/watch?v=UTC4gMxivII

feminist writers are always bad without exception

.t guy with girlfriend

>female writers have feminine undertones to them

NEWS AT 11

feminine undertones are very different to the feminist political ideology, if you weren't stupid you'd understand that

Autumn clearly isn't a raging feminist political piece you mong, even if it has some sentiments leaning towards that its most likely nuanced and not the raging SJW-tumblr tier shit, so calm down.

History of Wolves is a coming of age story about a girl in the woods, why wouldn't there be an inkling of feminist thought in that. Whats wrong with that?

Literally judging books by their covers

Well shit guess I'm throwing all my Tolstoy, Joyce, Faulkner, Dickens, Shakespeare, Mann, Austen, Dante, Dostoevsky, Gogol, Blake, Goethe, Marquez, Moliere, and Yeats in the fucking garbage then cause Nabokov told me to.

there's unironically a SJW rant about Brexit in it, I mean a really out of place breaking the fourth wall quote, the book is trash

Fun fact, I met Fiona Mozley the other day. She works in the city where I live

fitting, half of those are writers are quite overrated

tell me what she is like

I'm glad The Underground Railroad didn't get on the shortlist. It's such an average book that everyone hails as a masterpiece. It's timely middlebrow fiction but it isn't that good.

what pushes a middlebrow book into highbrow?

Complexity and uniqueness of style, in part. Seibo There Below by Laszlo Krasznahorkai, for instance, is highbrow.

She's nice, just a small shop bookseller.

would you bang?

Brexit is literally cancer and has done nothing but ruined the nation. And art should reflect that sentiment