/clg/ - Catholic Literature General

Last thread: Atheists and members of other Christian denominations are welcome to debate theology, faith, etc. But please keep it civil.

>The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. (Lamentations 3:25-26)

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=PU4ycRzwqDc

Recommended Reading:

>New American Bible (Revised Edition)
>Douay–Rheims Bible

Theology and Basics of Catholicism
>Adams, Karl – The Spirit of Catholicism
>Bouyer, Louis – Spirit and Forms of Protestantism
>Catholic Church – Catechism of the Catholic Church
>Guardini, Romano – The End of the Modern World
>Guardini, Romano – The Lord
>Hahn, Scott – Rome Sweet Home
>Kreeft, Peter – Christianity for Modern Pagans
>Newman, John Henry – Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine
>Newman, John Henry – Parochial and Plain Sermons
>Ott, Ludwig – Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma
>Pieper, Josef – The Four Cardinal Virtues

History and Culture
>Belloc, Hilaire – The Great Heresies
>Belloc, Hilaire – How The Reformation Happened
>Belloc, Hilaire – Survivals and New Arrivals
>Carroll, Warren – Christendom I: Founding of Christendom
>Carroll, Warren – Christendom II: The Building of Christendom
>Carroll, Warren – Christendom III: The Glory of Christendom
>Carroll, Warren – Christendom IV: The Cleaving of Christendom
>Crocker III, H.W. – Triumph
>Dawson, Christopher – Christianity and European Culture
>Knox, Ronald – Enthusiasm
>Leclercq, Jean – Love of Learning and the Desire for God
>Walsh, William – Our Lady of Fatima

Holy Men and Women
>Chesterton, G.K. – St. Francis of Assisi
>Chesterton, G.K. – St. Thomas Aquinas: The Dumb Ox
>Day, Dorothy – The Long Loneliness
>John XXIII, Pope John – Journal of a Soul
>Merton, Thomas – The Seven Storey Mountain
>Muggeridge, Malcolm – Something Beautiful for God
>Newman, John Henry – Apologia Pro Vita Sua
>Suarez, Federico – Mary of Nazareth
>Trochu, F. – The Cure of Ars
>Wegemer, Gerard – Thomas More: A Portrait of Courage
>Weigel, George – Witness to Hope

Literary Classics
>Alighieri, Dante – The Divine Comedy
>Benson, Robert Hugh – Lord of the World
>Bernanos, George – The Diary of a Country Priest
>de Cervantes, Miguel – Don Quixote
>Eliot, T.S. – Christianity and Culture
>Endo, Shusaku – Silence
>Hopkins, Gerard Manley – Poems and Prose
>Newman, John Henry – The Idea of a University
>O’Conner, Flannery – The Complete Stories
>Percy, Walker – Lost in the Cosmos
>Percy, Walker – Love in the Ruins
>Sienkiewicz, Henryk – Quo Vadis
>Tolkien, J.R.R. – The Lord of the Rings
>Undset, Sigrid – Kristin Lavransdatter I: The Bridal Wreath
>Undset, Sigrid – Kristin Lavransdatter II : The Wife
>Undset, Sigrid – Kristin Lavransdatter III: The Cross
>Waugh, Evelyn – Brideshead Revisited
>Wolfe, Gene – The Book of the New Sun
>Wolfe, Gene – The Fifth Head of Cerberus

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/PUWNWYyG
rorate-caeli.blogspot.hr/2017/09/CORRECTION.html?m=1
amazon.com/Compendium-United-States-Conference-Bishops/dp/1574557203
youtube.com/watch?v=HKpk-oNla84
youtu.be/sE1InDAnxT0
catholic.com/tract/immaculate-conception-and-assumption
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Spiritual Classics
>Aquinas, St. Thomas – My Way of Life/Summa Theologica
>Augustine, St. – The City of God
>Augustine, St. – Confessions
>Catherine of Siena, St. – Little Talks with God
>Chesterton, G.K. – The Everlasting Man
>Chesterton, G.K. – Orthodoxy
>John of the Cross, St. – Dark Night of the Soul
>Lewis, C.S. – Mere Christianity
>Lewis, C.S. – The Problem of Pain
>Lewis, C.S. – The Screwtape Letters
>Oursler, Fulton – The Greatest Story Ever Told
>Teresa, Bl. Mother – Meditations from a Simple Path
>Teresa of Avila, St. – Interior Castle
>Teresa of Avila, St. – The Way of Perfection
>Therese of Lisieux, St. – Story of a Soul

Spiritual Reading
>A’Kempis, Thomas – The Imitation of Christ
>Aumann, Jordan – Spiritual Theology
>Baur, Benedict – Frequent Confession
>Baur, Benedict – In Silence with God
>Boylan, Eugene – Difficulties in Mental Prayer
>Boylan, Eugene – This Tremendous Lover
>Burke, Cormac – Covenanted Happiness
>Chautard, Jean-Baptiste – The Soul of the Apostolate
>de Caussade, Jean-Pierre – Abandonment to Divine Providence
>de Montfort, Louis-Marie – True Devotion to Mary
>de Sales, St. Francis – An Introduction to the Devout Life
>de Sales, St. Francis – Treatise on the Love of God
>Escriva, Jose Maria – Christ is Passing By
>Escriva, Jose Maria – Friends of God
>Escriva, Jose Maria – The Way, Furrow, The Forge
>Escriva, Jose Maria – The Way of the Cross
>Faber, Frederick – All for Jesus
>Garrigou-Lagrange, Fr. Reginald – Three Ages of Interior Life
>Liguori, Alphonso – The Great Means of Salvation and Perfection
>Liguori, Alphonso – Uniformity with God’s Will
>Louis of Grenada, Venerable – The Sinner’s Guide
>Lovasik, Lawrence – The Hidden Power of Kindness
>Manzoni, Alessandro – The Betrothed
>Martinez, Luis – True Devotion to the Holy Spirit
>More, St. Thomas – The Sadness of Christ
>Perquin, Bonaventure – Abba Father
>Rohrbach, Peter – Conversation with Christ
>Scupoli, Lorenzo – Spiritual Combat
>Sheed, Frank – Theology and Sanity
>Sheed, Frank – Theology for Beginners
>Sheed, Frank – To Know Christ Jesus
>Sheen, Fulton – Life of Christ
>Sheen, Fulton – Three to Get Married
>Tanqueray, Adolphe – The Spiritual Life
>von Hildebrand, Dietrich – Transformation in Christ

Miscellaneous
>John Paul II, Bl. Pope – Crossing the Threshold of Hope
>Masson, Georgina – The Companion Guide to Rome
>Monti, James – The King’s Good Servant but God’s First
>Rice, Charles – 50 Questions on the Natural Law
>Sertillanges, A.G. – The Intellectual Life

Nice ty

Is this really necessary?

Let's bump it and slide some threads.

This is great OP. Thank you.

Do you have any XXI century recommendations?

Quali sono le migliori edizioni della bibbia in lingua italiana?

Based OP.

I finished the complete works of Augustine. Where do I go from here? I was thinking of heading back into Plato for a better grasp of the Forms and the soul's immortality, mainly the Meno, Timaeus, Republic, and the Phaedrus.

[-]

Just finished the first chapter of Il Gattopardo(The Leopard). I almost cried at the part where the house priest is saying to the MC that they the aristocrats are fast to appease the liberals for a few generation of safety by giving up their alliance with the Church.

I can't believe they translated this in 1969 in a soviet sphere country.

Better if you got into some history of the period augustine lived or read about the various forms of Christianity from 100AD - 500AD. I personally went into HRE history and papal relations after that.

Not OP but check out The Submerged Reality: Sophiology and the Turn to a Poetic Metaphysics

Do you guys fear Judgement?

No, I'm a Catholic who receives the sacraments.

make this a pastebin

pastebin.com/PUWNWYyG

Not an atheist but what justifies your belief in the Devil? Why can't God beat him? Why does he leave him there if he can beat him?

Anyone here considering becoming a priest? I'm going to a come and see weekend at a religious order nearby.

Also, who /Divine Comedy/ here?

God permits the Devil to exist in order to test our faith and tempt us to sin. Christian life is a long race to be run, not a gift to be given.

>Not an atheist but what justifies your belief in the Devil?

Scripture, in part. Jesus talks about Satan in the Gospels, and he doesn't seem to be speaking metaphorically. He also talks about a fiery netherworld of eternal torment for unrepentant sinners, and that doesn't seem to be a metaphor, either.

Beyond that, the long history of possessions and exorcisms indicate the reality of demonic forces at work in the world.

Someone, please recommend me some Traditional Catholic literature.

I believe in Hell I just don't buy into the whole idea that the Devil is somehow at war with God and is His adversary that he just cant seem to beat.

Was considering it, but feel I am drawn towards Eastern spirituality more than Western. But I can't seem to feel comfortable in an Eastern spiritual center/temple as much as a western church.

But isn't God at odds with the Devil? Why wouldn't he work with him if God wants him to exist? Idk I just don't get it. I do get that there are 'devilish' things in the world that tempt us away from God. I just don't buy that there is a guy who's at odds with God in charge of all things 'devilish.'

On another note, how do Christians justify some people having shit lives and others having good ones if they don't believe in reincarnation?

Oh, well, that's absolutely false. God's already won. He won at the Resurrection. Satan can't hope to defeat or overthrow God. God keeps him around for some reasons we don't know, and perhaps also to give mankind something to do, to sharpen our devotion to Christ. At the Second Coming the Devil will be even further defeated, unable to tempt souls any more.

God doesn't even fight the Devil himself when it comes to actual fighting. That's Michael's job.

That makes more sense than my previous understanding. Why did the Devil ever have a chance? Or did he not? God is all-powerful.

On an unrelated note, why is the Abrahamic God jealous?

As far as actually beating God, there never was any chance. God's omnipotent and omniscient, and Satan, for all his power, is limited. As far as ruling the universe himself goes, Satan has never had a chance. So, Satan essentially does all he does for spite. He saw that humanity was God's most favorite creation in the Garden of Eden, so he decided to ruin things by causing the Fall. Corrupting souls, ruining lives, leading men to Hell--Satan does it all for no other reason than spite. It doesn't actually harm God in any way, but Satan is a petty fuck so he tries to ruin the things God does purely to stick it to him. It's essentially a child throwing a tantrum.

But doesn't Satan often succeed in tempting men and getting them to go to hell, where they wouldn't absent his interference? And doesn't God say that that which is done to the least of His people, is done unto Him? So isn't God harmed by seeing his creations being led to hell?

God is not at odds with the Devil, he seems to be simply uninterested in having the Devil around. The idea of being, "at odds," simply does not apply to God. The very phrase, "at odds," implies that God can be defeated. He cannot, and never will be. Thus, when Lucifer tried to overthrow God, He simply threw him out. But, since all things in the universe have a place in the divine plan, God made use of him as the keeper of Hell and sinners

>On another note, how do Christians justify some people having shit lives and others having good ones if they don't believe in reincarnation?

By, "shit," and, "good," lives, I presume you mean material wealth. One possible answer is that man's purpose on this Earth is to learn how to love one another so that they can also learn how to love God and spend eternity with him (Catechism of the Catholic Church, Prologue, Section I). This is a very important fact about the world, as evinced by the fact that it is stated at the very beginning of the Catechism. You should also keep in mind that God simply is not that interested in the number of material goods and experiences we manage to collect on Earth, which is often what materially minded humans think is the purpose of life.

rorate-caeli.blogspot.hr/2017/09/CORRECTION.html?m=1
Francis has officially been accused of heresy.

Prayers for the salvation of all Veeky Forums posters and readers:

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

catholics, a babylonian cult gone rampant, chose the blasphemous church over Christ.

>internet petition against the pope

oh wait you're serious

You can't actually sign it if you aren't a Catholic scholar or a priest.

Currently reading up on Canaanite religion, it's really cool. A lot of similarities to ancient Israelite religion but a lot of big differences too. You can see the commonalities in the gods/God patronising kings, a priestly group who oversee sacrifices, prayers for protection, the gods/God defeating sea monsters like Litan/Leviathan.

Obviously the huge differences are idols and multiple gods, the total aniconic worship of a god is unique for the period as far as I know.

Praying for you

Was getting crucified part of his plan?

Why is the fact that God is 3 separate persons but ultimately 1 God so important to Christianity?

I'm a Protestant (Lutheran), could any of you explain to me how you justify Mary being preserved from original sin (CCC 966)?

If at some point the Pope would contradict the Bible, who's word would you believe?

If there's some French here

also, the last line of this one is Literature but Counter-Revolution thinkers are important too

Have you not heard about the Filial Correction of Pope Francis for the propagating of heresies?

Quite an interesting case. I thought the Pope was believed to be infallible? Or is that only when he speaks from the chair?

Salut user. I'm not French, but I did not know Baudelaire was against the revolution. Thanks for sharing that list. Have you made any others like this?

t. studied the French Revolution in university

He's infallible only ex cathedra.

The Psychedelic Experience and around 200-300ug LSD

Why wait for God when you can be Him

>Quite an interesting case
Sedevacantism is widespread in the Catholic church, the reigning clergy have actively propagated heretical contradictions to dogma. Thus the See of Peter and many other seats are vacant due to heretical imposters.

> I thought the Pope was believed to be infallible.
ex cathedra, from the chair, from the position of power that is the Holy See, as opposed to when he is at the pub or taking a dump.

The problem here is that the Vatican has been occupied by heretics since Pope Pius XII died leaving the Seat of Peter vacant.

fuk u demiurge

I don't necessarily mean material wealth. For example, there are some people who are tortured all their lives inside of a crazy man's basement. I don't know how Christians justify that if you guys don't have a system of karma and reincarnation. Meanwhile, there are other people born into a life of pleasantness and there are those of us who are born into Christian families that are more spiritual than atheistic families. How are those two people to be judged in the same way? With a system of reincarnation and karma this problem is solved. Someone born into a Christian family was a spiritual person in his previous life and was a decent person, which is why he's not in someone's basement being tortured.

A sinner: suffers, dies -loses.
A saint: suffers, dies -loses.
What's the point?

Everything.

It's not widespread at all. How many sedevacantist priests are there? It seems more common over the Internet because it's built around bitching about things, making it the perfect shitposting position.

Why would you have to introduce karma and reincarnation if you presuppose perfect justice and according to it salvation or damnation based on it with the emphasis on perfect.

I just bought Karen Armstrong's A History of God, how big did I fuck up

If your response to an empirical reductio ad absurdum is to simply reassert your position, you're not going to convert or impress anyone.

What's more important for God?
To have 1 billion more people born in Africa until 2050 - majority of them never even hearing about Christianity, living miserable life.
Or to just keep history going so that some random bored dude from western world would convert.

If being a Christian, believing in the dogma and having an active Church life is the condition for everlasting salvation, then it's spread very inefficiently - its preachers barely care about new converts and more and more people are born and die in their sins so to speak - earth servers no purpose but the create untold amount of souls for hell.

Might it just be the case that God doesn't exist? At least the Abrahamic one.

Is it still a branch of Catholicism if I unironically worship Satan for the wise man he is?

Read Job

>the reigning clergy have actively propagated heretical contradictions to dogma. Thus the See of Peter and many other seats are vacant due to heretical imposters.
Schismatism makes you more Catholic? el oh el

>majority of them never even hearing about Christianity, living miserable life.
Christianity is actually pretty big in Africa

But your main point is the problem of evil, which has never fully been answered.

Uh, no

Badly, she massively over-simplifies and presents her views as fact when they're actually not widely accepted in academia.

I'd add the Ignatius Bible (RSV-2CE) to that woefully short translation list

>tfw the correction from Burke and the other dubia cardinals is still coming

Shit's about to get wild, lads. Be sure to go to Confession regularly and also pray the Rosary regularly.

are you guys the same that used to makes threads in /pol/?

I used to participe there.

After Virtue

Actually read the thing user, it is decidedly not a straightforward accusation of heresy.

If you aren't going to even try to understand the position of Catholicism on this and complete ignore the most important aspects of it there's really no point in talking to you anymore.

The problem of evil is rationally non existent- if God allows evil only so he could bring out a greater good in this life or the next (and the proof is irrefutable if you accept the premises, which Christianity does obviously) there is no obstacle at all. This has been such since Augustine and it's an emotional, rather than a rational one.

>Catholic Literature General
>Literature

He's not been accused of conscious heresy, so yeah, he's not considered a heretic. But in a roundabout way they're accusing him of leaving room for people to have heretical ideas about marriage, since Amoris Laetitia has some pretty wishy-washy wording that could be interpreted to mean re-married divorcees should be allowed to receive the eucharist.

>/x/ - Paranormal

someone post this to r/Veeky Forums!!!

They aren't saying that it just could be interpreted, they are saying it is interpreted and he's personally advocating that interpretation (Buenos Aires letter, telling the Lutheran woman to take communion and break the Church law).

What is the most approachable printing of the Catechism for a layman?

>What is the most approachable printing of the Catechism for a layman?
amazon.com/Compendium-United-States-Conference-Bishops/dp/1574557203
This one I'd say.

Thank you that seems simpe enough

>heretical clergy/pope don't support priests that deny the legitimacy of the clergy/pope

Interesting, perhaps the massive depopulation of "catholic" churches is indicative of something.

Not compromising on facts makes you more Catholic.

The biggest fedoralords on this board are all fucking christians

It is the mark of a true schismatic to run from the Church when she is in the greatest danger.

It's worse now God is an asshole, we're his game - why have you forced me to think less of God now, fuck it - it's clear as fuck that we invented God.

>read Job
>this is pretty cool I wonder how God will answer Job's questions
>"I fought a giant dragon now shut the fuck up"
wtf the problem of evil is solved now

The point is not to doubt God because he was here before you and knows infinitely better than you.

>not having the Bruckner Te Deum as thread theme

I've read Augustine and Aquinas, and I've concluded that Catholicism is way too confusing and irrational for any one to believe in unless they just blindly put their faith in it. Am I missing something?

He's got nothing on the classics
youtube.com/watch?v=HKpk-oNla84

You forgot to read the bible

/x/ isn't literate enough to talk about Catholicism in a serious way, though they are more amenable to miracles, healings, and apparitions.

[citation needed]

What do you think about the distinction of act and potency as an account of causality?

Augustine was the most logical spiritual reading I ever had

>lives in a confusing and irrational world
>doesn't understand how the explanation of that world could be just as confusing and irrational, if not more so

Work your salvation out in fear and trembling, friend.

youtu.be/sE1InDAnxT0

Good video on the topic of humility and against presumption. There are two or three from this channel concerning rudolf hoss, at least one of them hits this topic really well, and I think it is the linked one but I could be wrong.

catholic.com/tract/immaculate-conception-and-assumption

There is quite a bit to it, so you will probably have to read a concise article like the one above than have me stumble through it.

Bump

Imma post some maps you might find useful for bible study

Location of the nations listed in Genesis 10