Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread

Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread

Should I read Urfaust?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrolabe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if you want to

To be more precise, is there anything to gain from after I've read Faust?

Yes, but be sure to pay for Myfaust if you would be so kind

Which Should I buy

none. garbage-tier kicks

what race are you

What would you recommend brother
Georgian

which edition of A portratraitoftheartistasayoungman should i get (with foot-notes)

what look are you trying to go for? those shoes are both in the "i want more hips sneaks than new balances, so im going for the most vanilla shits that many white people have worn before me and that black people wont make fun of me for."

if youre cool, get sketchers ironically. if you want something flashier, get foamposites. if youre going to a show, get all black hi top chucks. always wear socks that go past your ankles unless you are a woman. the truth is that the only part of a man's outfit that matter are [1] how the pants meet the shoe [2] how handsome you are and [3] how tall you are. if done wrong, number 1 will make anything look like shit. the more 2 and 3 you have, the more ironic you can get. i wear a pumpkin colored hollister polo with hemp bracelets and black jeans because my bone structure tells people its a joke in an instant, but if you look like someone who would be in an american mall, then maybe just go normcore. next step for me is going to be to start dressing menswear (the faggots with the shiny light-leather shoes and pants that stop at their ankles) as a joke

What's regarded as the best edition of Paradise Lost to read?

Why did no one reply to my thread about Fichte?

fichte and schelling really get the short end. ive studied philsophy for years and dont really know shit about them. are they worth reading

what shoes do u swear

hands down number 4
What shoes are they?

depends what im doing. i was jsut doing yardwork and have new balance 998s on

off white air max 90

Schelling I would say certainly.
I am of the opinion his influence is for the most part underappreciated, at least in English speaking places.
His work is a lot more cohesive than people tend to give credit for, and I regard him as one of the greatest critics of Hegel.
And I hold this in relation to the fact that most Western philosophy for a while was in essence a critique and reaction to Hegel.
He was the first "post-metaphysical" philosopher, one could say, and at the very least it situates him in a very interesting place
in the development of philosophy.

Fichte, I am unsure of.
Most of my familiarity with him is derived from Hegel and Schelling, of course one should take such interpretations from the mouths
of intellectual enemies, who were very anti-Fichtean with a grain of salt. He does seem to have interesting ideas about politics and
economy, but it seems that his metaphysics were more or less superseded.
There is a void of quality secondary literature for Fichte, which gives rise to some hesitance on my part.

He was probably the most handsome of those called German Idealists though, Schelling looks like a reptile.

I tried a memeier op; maybe that will bait people into discussing him.

>Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread
Has anyone got a digital copy of Juarez, The Laboratory of Our Future by Charles Bowden?

If I'm writing something that ends up with themes and commentary that would only really appeal to a certain demographic, but that demographic happens to be in an entirely different country, would getting it published in my home country be a bad idea? Do people usually get their work published outside of their home country for reasons like this?

It seems like everything I've gotten down would be lost on people here.

Bespoke leather shoes.

are harold blooms gnosticism books any good

Why is Veeky Forums full of pseuds?

Why are you a pseud?

>not wanting to be pseud
All the appearance of being smart with none of the effort, what's not to like?

Because most posters here are 16-21 year olds who have read a few pieces of classic literature and think that qualifies them as intellectuals

>reading
I watched 20 minutes of Jordan Peterson, you can't test me you brainlet.

Anyone here who owns The Major Works of Percy Shelley bu Oxford, could please upload pics from the index?

Yeezys

>first day of English literature class
>professor asks what your favorite book is

What's your answer?

chinua achebe by zadie smith

How old are you?

why does this thread exist

The Oxford English Dictionary

They're all normie tier.

Buy skate shoes.
Pic related are my current.

Best English translations for
>Aeneid.
>Oedipus Rex.
>Immanuel Kant.
>Hegel's non-POS work.
>Iliad & Odyssey

Also, if there are any Europeans which sellers in Amazon are trustworthy inside Europe?

I got one the other day and it hasnt any footnotes. How necessary are them? Am i dun goofed?

>Urfaust
I own the book (it's in the same volume than Faust I and II) and never bothered reading it.

What are some good philosophy textbooks in german.
Went for the STEMmeme and I want to see what I'm missing out on.

GERMAN IDEALISM ALL OF IT

I would like to start with textbooks and not original texts, if possible.

Look, I just want to make the cannon. Therefore, I need to read and write a lot.

I am going to read Hamlet cover to cover - is this good enough practice to make the cannon.

Thanks.

I haven't read any general textbooks but I can recommend the philosophical dictionary published by Meiner Felix Verlag. It's single-volume, concise, and covers what to me looks like all the terms with which you're likely to come into contact, both from mainstream philosophy and more niche stuff like Stirner. It's indexed alphabetically like most dictionaries but also has an 'Autoren- und Werkeverzeichnis' and a 'Sachregister'. Also has a section with suggestions for supplementary 'Literatur zur Begriffsgeschichte'. Meiner Felix has a lot of high-quality philosophy publications in general so they're worth looking into.
Pic related is not a textbook but a collection of essays on the 'Klassiker der Philosophie heute', starting with Plato and published by Reclam, if you can find it I'd say it's a solid buy.

Felix Meiner*
shit

lol did you get the idea of wearing sketchers from ian connor

what is this device sean connery uses in the name of the rose, looking up at the moon?

how do I read poetry

pretty sure that's an astrolabe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrolabe

thanks a lot. asked in /his and /sci but got 0 replies. re-watching the name of the rose (in italian, to practice) and got curious

Damn you're good

aportratraitoftheartistasayoungman

Can you write a good story without any allusions? I was thinking about making one about dog domestication and animism, and allusions wouldn't seem appropriate with that kind of setting.

Do people actually read books?

Should I read any of Sophocles' non-oedipus plays? I never see them written about.

Books to read by HB--
Anxiety, Map, Repression, Figures, Agon, J and Y, Religion, Daemon.
I enjoyed Visionary Company which came before all these, and in which he begins to emerge as 'Harold Bloom.' Have yet to read the book on Falstaff out this year.
Of the 8 books mentioned the first five are heavy with gnostic elements. The real Harold Bloom is enormously fun to read, especially in light of his own most productive times, the 70's and early 80's.

Why do people get so angry when you ask them questions about the things they believe? They get entirely too defensive and they all feel like they can read my mind and see nefarious motives behind my questions when I'm genuinely just interested in what they think and why, and despite never taking a position on anything I constantly get accused of trying to debate or "score points".

Help me understand humans.

(You) write well, perhaps they fear what they perceive to be your intellect?
Forums IRL are modetated for a reason, as are debates, with varying degrees of success.
What (you) want is a friend. Not just anybody can be that.

Recommend me some Southern Gothic books that aren't written by William Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor, or Cormac McCarthy.

toni memerson

Many persons who check in here read books, but only 30 or so (these days) READ. The latter bunch are here only infrequently, and as if by turns.

JR (it's really Infinite Jest, but people will judge me if I say that)

How do I strike a balance between carefully scheduling everything I read and letting my interest devolve into capricious anarchy?

Strike bargains with yourself, or become manageably superstitious.
I'll let /you figure out the praxis. It could take many forms.

Other Voices, Other Rooms
Hand-carved Coffins
both by Truman Capote
Ambrose Bierce's Short Stories

a baker's dozen in Veeky Forums

are we all the last men?

scares me

Longboi...I mean -man. One of those books where the footnotes take up 4/5 of the page.

>Why do people get so angry when you ask them questions about the things they believe?
Does your autistic mind ever entertain the notion that churchgoers don't ask each other: "Who is this God you speak of and why do you believe in him?", or Clinton voters may never go: "Why would Clinton ever be a good president?" at their fellow clintonians?

They think only enemies question their beliefs because friendlies and neutrals never do, the latter two just shut up.

>Help me understand humans.
Don't assume philosophers are humans or that humans are philosophers, meditate on Socrates' capital punishment, research how anthropologists investigate foreign belief systems (i.e. not like you do), get your autism treated.

I'm not asking people things like that and its only online when they get angry. I never bring up any of the subjects I question people about either. As an example I was talking to a BLM supporter and they said racism is the reason blacks are disproportionately targeted and arrested. My only question was why they believed that to be true and that's all it took for them to get angry. I was even accused of racism when I provided a non-racist reason why police may target blacks. This isn't high brow philosophy that I'm doing here.

There's a lot of connection in the thought of late romanticism with Goethe's ideas expressed in Faust. Even dissagreeing ones, for example the influence that Hegel had through Faust is quite different than the reading that Schopenhauer had of it. It also influenced the works of Novalis and Jacobi. So, to put it bluntly, if you are interested in German Romanticism Faust is a must read.

are Iain M. Banks The Culture books as boring as they sound?

>I'm not asking people things like that
>My only question was why they believed that to be true
What great way to start a conversation lmao

>My only question was why they believed that to be true and that's all it took for them to get angry.
When, in the BLM's supporter's own experience and imagination, would a non-racist ever ask such a question?

>This isn't high brow philosophy that I'm doing here.
Agreed, it's mere autism.

>When, in the BLM's supporter's own experience and imagination, would a non-racist ever ask such a question?

Here's a scenario. A non BLM supporter who is considering becoming a BLM supporter wants to know the reasons for being a BLM supporter. If the belief that cops are targeting blacks for racist reasons is necessary for being a BLM supporter then asking for reasons to believe that's true is a fair question. I don't think people should blindly accept assertions like that.

>Here's a scenario
Your scenario is not part of the experience and imagination of a BLM supporter, only enemies ask questions.

>A non BLM supporter who is considering becoming a BLM supporter wants to know the reasons for being a BLM supporter.
Then ask for those you stupid fuck."What's BLM like? What do you do? How's the fight going?"

Or you simply go: "I heard from this racist person that cops target blacks but somehow not out of a racial prejudice bla bla bla..." without going out of your way to get yourself perceived as a supposed racist yourself.

>I don't think people should blindly accept assertions like that.
I don't think people should believe in bullshit either, but it is not a valid reason to assume people can interact with skeptics without accusing them of being enemies, or a valid reason not to learn how to talk to people. You irredeemable, consummate autist.

>As an example I was talking to a BLM supporter and they said racism is the reason blacks are disproportionately targeted and arrested. My only question was why they believed that to be true and that's all it took for them to get angry.
if you run the numbers from any source blacks are killed more per capita than whites. a proportionate dataset would put blacks around 13%, not the 24% it currently rests at. You'd have to be willfully ignorant or dumb to look at the dataset, see the number of whites killed is higher than blacks, and go "see, if anything whites are killed more!" and that's why people are getting angry with you. Especially when many of them have lived experience of racial bias under their belts. To them you're basically saying "no, you did not experience the things you experienced," or "prove to me that you experienced what you experienced," and that would make anyone upset.

tl;dr don't be a sperg

No, they are excellent imo. I loved the Player of Games.

Yes I can agree that blacks are killed or brutalized or arrested more often by police, this in itself is not a reason to believe that racism is the cause because it could be that blacks are targeted more often simply because they commit more crime as a group. This level of crime puts them in a position of having increased contact with police that results in higher numbers of negative interactions. Blacks tend to live in high crime neighborhoods and anyone who lives in a high crime neighborhood will more likely have negative interactions with police regardless of race.

I'm not questioning or denying that individual instances of racism exist, but the BLM position is that this racism is systematic and that's something that I haven't seen reasons to believe that's true. I'm interested in finding the truth of the matter because I actually want to solve the problem. So far I think the best way to lower the arrest rate and the number of incidences of brutality would be to lower the crime rate in the black community, and one of the easiest ways of doing that would be to actually increase the amount of police presence in black communities which is the exact opposite of what BLM wants.

I did not want to make a new thread so i thought I'd ask here.
Does anyone have any recommendations for books about basic medical microbiology. I have found a couple but I don't want to just jump in to one and not have any idea what's being said. I have never read about this and I am wanting to learn about it.

My textbook is Medical Microbiology by Murray, Rosenthal, Pfaller.

I need a particular version of the Iliad, does anyone know where I might find a pdf of it real soon?

You could read the stick and go to bookz or use libgen.

Sorry and thanks user. Never been on Veeky Forums before and I was in a panic. I have a paper due at midnight and need to cite but bought the wrong version

What should I read to learn about Catholic Just War theory?

Matthew 5:44

My crush just fucking asked ME out. W-What should I r-read g-guys?

The Bible so you'll remember that sticking your dick in her before marriage is a sin. Don't go to hell, user. Have fun on your date.

Thoreau's pleasant essay on walking.

Many people would take the fact that black people tend are more likely to live in high crime neighbourhoods as proof of systematic racism or systemic oppression because the alternative would be saying other factors not having to do with discrimination are keeping black people in low income, high crime areas, in other words, saying that black people do in fact get equal opportunities to whites but still do not get proportional representation because they're inferior. Because it seems to many ridiculous to claim that black people are naturally disposed to be inferior with regard to traits that lead to success (economic, social, legal, etc.) in the United States, the obvious response is to claim that the system as a whole, the government, including welfare, taxation, education, law enforcement, criminal justice, and so on, is discriminating against black people and keeping them from getting the same opportunities which white people receive, and which cause white people to succeed.

Also, maybe don't refer to people 'blacks' if you don't want to be received as racist. It can come across as similar to saying phrases like 'the gays' or 'the gay agenda'.

can you recommend books like this movie? or dogtooth

I can't do anything with this. You have to write better.

They deleted my math thread. The mods here are fucking garbage

What is good prose? How do I avoid sounding like GRRM or like an instruction manual?

yeah that was bullshit
I hate how the fucking philosophy threads get to stay up all day when they have their own board

Are you retarded? Take out the word 'tend' in the first sentence and it makes perfect sense.

Pic related

Schelling yes

Fichte yes but interpreting his system is difficult and people aren't really agreed on how to do it

Try reading the Fichte chapter in the book "Hegel's Idealism" to get a sense of how hard it is