What are your thoughts on Dune?

What are your thoughts on Dune?
I finished reading the first book - I think it started off as my favourite book. It was very slow paced, but it was great.
However, around the time of the sandstorm I thought the slow pace was thrown out of the window, with most chapters afterwards taking place long after each other.
I just thought it all seemed a bit rushed.

I haven't read it in a long time but that sounds familiar.

I found it really easy to lose any kind of a sense of time after Paul goes to the Fremen

I loved it, though I though Paul himself was boring, I was far more invested when the focus was on any other character.
I've avoided seeing any of the adaptations (and even fan art) because I'm cotent with how I imagined the story and characters myself.
I'm reading Messiah right now. It should be interesting.

>I loved it, though I though Paul himself was boring, I was far more invested when the focus was on any other character.
This

OP, I loved Dune so much that I made it to the end of Chapterhouse expecting to read something as good as the first book. If someday you happen to do the same, you'll know what I mean.

user, is reading anything after the original first book recommended? I love the story but don't know how much i wanna invest on the sequels.

>I found it really easy to lose any kind of a sense of time after Paul goes to the Fremen
Yeah - thought the 2 year time skip was fine between parts 2 and 3, but the time skips between the chapters just left it feeling disjointed.
>I loved it, though I though Paul himself was boring, I was far more invested when the focus was on any other character.
Yeah, I agree. I actually really liked the chapters with the Baron - maybe because they were a breath of fresh air.
I think Dune has proven to me that I lack imagination, because any location I thought of didn't seem like it would fit with a desert setting. Characters were alright though - I only knew who played Paul in the film, and that was it.
Parts of Dune just really felt incomplete/rushed to me. Liek Herbert knew he was going to write a series of novels, so he just started throwing things in to give his future books material to work with.
>The inevitable Hijad
>Paul beleiving his mother is his enemy/problem (was anything ever really done about that, other than bickering about Chani?)
>The death of Paul's son seemed rather glossed over
>What became of the Harknonnens seemed very rushed, almost as if Herbert didn't want to bring them up again in later books (the Baron just dies with almost no text given to it;
fair enough Rabban wasn't dwelled on,
Feyda-Rautha just has a standard fight with Paul - why would he even think he'd win,
given that he'd never won a fight like that before? The whole Harkonnen plan just went nowhere. A shame because their chapters were the best.
>We read passages written by Irulan throughout the book, but she is around for like 20 pages, with like 3 lines. Sure we see that she is carrying out her role, but is that it?
>Count Fenring is apparently a failed Kwisatz Haderach - we'll just throw that detail in for a sequel
I even thought the makers (worms) would have had a bigger role. Herbert loved bringing up that shields attract the worms. Could that have not been part of Paul's plan, or could the Fremen have used them in battle?
I really just thought there was a big difference between how the beginning was written and how it finished.

I don't really read when I'm in uni unfortunately, and I'm a really slow reader at that, so I don't know if I'll ever read more. Do the rest not live up to the first one? I've seen people say not to bother with the books not written by Frank.
Dune really does have a cool world though. I'm surprised there's been very little tv shows/films made of it. Even a video game would see promising.

I liked it but I don't think it was amazing or anything. I had more fun reading the appendices and the lore than I did with the whole novel. The fact that the authors of the orange Catholic Bible were lynched, the Butler jihad, leto II living for 3,500 years. That shit is great. I wish I had read I had read it in high school so I'd have a different (better) impression of science fiction. It's definitely one of the better science fiction novels I've read

>user, is reading anything after the original first book recommended? I love the story but don't know how much i wanna invest on the sequels.

It's very irregular

Messiah is a huge meh, but it's short, so it doesn't hurt.

Children is shit.

God Emperor is wonderful, almost first book level, and the dialogues are the best in the series.

Heretics is good.

Chapterhouse is the worst. One of the biggest pieces of shit I've read. Frank Herbert was losing it by then.

Reading up to IV or V is a good idea if you really loved I and want to dwell more on the universe and lore. I think that enduring the pain of Children is worth just to get into God Emperor. Heretics is a nice cherry on top. And you'll be better reading the plot of Chapterhouse in the wikipedia page.

>I don't really read when I'm in uni unfortunately, and I'm a really slow reader at that, so I don't know if I'll ever read more. Do the rest not live up to the first one? I've seen people say not to bother with the books not written by Frank.
Forgot to include you on my previous post reply

Not to mention that chapterhouse ends on a cliffhanger while iv has a nice conclusion l

>What are your thoughts on Dune?
Forgettable.

>tfw I will never have sex with Murbella

I read it recently and didn't like it, but I'm not a fan of Sci-Fi.

That might seem pointless to you, but I am a big David Lynch fan and thought the film was rubbish, but the studio cut so much it made it a convoluted mess so my reason for reading it was to try and fill in the blanks from the film. It didn't work.

I thought the world-building was effective, but the characters were mostly bland and the prose was probably best described as functional.

I'm glad I've read it given its importance, but it didn't excite me that much. Some sequences were nicely written, but on the whole none of it really stuck in my mind.

Overall I enjoyed it.

A lot of Frank Herbert's earlier pulp fiction was pretty bad, it's interesting to read it and see how he developed as a writer.

Soul Catcher was really good though.

Hellstrom's Hive is great

I appreciate what it did for the genre (despite the fact that it inspired so many of today's sci-fi tropes, it still feels incredibly original), but Herbert was a bad writer

I stopped at the 3rd part of the first book: I like it but I just can't compel mysef to read further or be entertained by it. How do I keep reading

Know that the point of the book is that Paul is not actually the savior he tries to be.

It's not that, but that it just gets slow or boring at that point. I realize Paul is a helpless kid. But it's just hard to read and the characters talk stupidly. "Uhmmm, aaaaa, yea, aaa, that's aaaa good" who the fuck talks like that

Yeah that's true. The Santaroga Barrier, The Green Brain, and his many of his earlier serialized/short stories are pretty bad.

The Padishah emperor is the shah of Persia. The Atreides are the mycenean dynasty during the trojan war. Paul becoming mua dib is like when Alexander the Great became pharoah, he is literally a living god when he lives out his conquests, also he's conflated with the islamic Mah'di.

At first glance one might think it's just about islam, but the story is a syncretic blend of just about everything.

Can somebody post the image of all the uses of the word "betray" in Dune? Anybody have that one handy?

my opinion is that it can be the best story in the world - but if you cannot write, it's useless (unless the reader is autistic)
same problem as orson scott card really

Went to google images and typed "Dune betray". First row of results.

You're welcome.

More like House BETRAYDES! lmao

The whole series were my favorites in Sci-Fi before I started reading books by Gene Wolfe.

I read them recently. I think I would have enjoyed them much more as a teenager.
The first one holds well. One of the best sci-fi novels (some barely consider it sci-fi). I've read the next three and while God Emperor is alright, it never gets to the level of the first. Unless you have loads of time or are particularly enamored with the universe, stick to the original Dune.
I have a few grievances with the sequels. One faction becomes ridiculously overpowered, the moral dilemmas of the all powerful faction didn't interest me at all muh end of the universe I've seen in a dream so I have to launch a 4000 year long series of retarded actions but that will avoid the apocalypse,
but I can't say it outright because the plebs wouldn't understand.
I felt a disconnect between the almost campy power levels displayed (from Dune Messiah on, you'll see bullshit that would better fit Warhammer 40k) and Herbert maintaining a pseudo-intellectual tone.

>my opinion is that it can be the best story in the world - but if you cannot write, it's useless (unless the reader is autistic)
what do you mean?

i know warhammer 40k is based on a lot of different sources, but leto ii is the direct inspiration for the 40k emperor

>i know warhammer 40k is based on a lot of different sources, but leto ii is the direct inspiration for the 40k emperor
Yes. What I meant is, the ridiculous things you see in Dune fit better a world like 40k.

I believe he means it's a story with potential, but it's wasted on somebody who isn't a good writer.

No matter how great the novel's strengths might be, if you can't write, it's always going to be inferior.

Essentially it's why my projects never take off. My ideas and ambition are far exceeded by my mediocrity.

Eh. Something that isn't very well written can inspire people to try to do it better, to ponder how to improve it, if they liked something about it. Meanwhile something too well written can be intimidating.
That's what I think at least.

>I found it really easy to lose any kind of a sense of time after Paul goes to the Fremen
i think that's kinda the point. that's when paul first develops his oracular powers. his sense of time becomes skewed and thus so does the reader's

>"Uhmmm, aaaaa, yea, aaa, that's aaaa good" who the fuck talks like that
literally just count fenring. and theres a reason why

What's the good reason?

Conveying second meaning through tone, length and pauses of "uhhhs" to his Gesserit whore. He was literally talking to two people simultaneously, words for baron, "uuh"s and "aaa"s for his companion.
Plus it infuriated both the baron and the reader, keeping the low-power party of the dialogue off-balance.

Does he not do that shit when he's alone with the baron in the cone of silence?
Was that purely to annoy the baron?

Is that stated in the text? I missed it and theres no other reference to gesserit humming.

Need fish men getting high of fomented worm-shit to use FTL lol.

Dumb overrated crap.

The insane lore is the best part.

Machines gave women abortions
Paul killed 6 billion people
Leto II was a giant 3500 year old worm who liked to do drugs and wanted to bone down

that's interesting. as the person who made this posti was just thinking it's because he's psychologically fucked from the whole failed Kwisatz Haderach thing

Is any of the books not written by Herbert worth it? Would you read a new entry?