ITT: Books that are better than their movie counterparts?

ITT: Books that are better than their movie counterparts?

The movie was way too brooding after having listened to the audiobook narrator (I listened to inherent vice at work). But that's PTA for you. Cloud Atlas was a shitty montage of a movie compared to the much more comprehensive book.

That movie was so all over the place. Sure, I like Can and the hatefuck scene was hot, but I didn't really feel that PTA captured the spirit of Pynchon.

There was one scene that I liked more than the book, and it was one that PTA innovated. The bit at the end where Bigfoot eats all of Doc's weed was just hilarious to me. Not in the book at all, and funnier than almost every other scene in the movie. But at the same time it almost felt like a spiritual rehash of "I drink your milkshake."

Come to think about it, Punch Drunk Love, There will Be Blood, The Master, and Inherent Vice all center on a relationship between two weird dudes.

Almost all of them

>relationship between two weird dudes.
PTA confirmed gender binary.

I've always wanted a Looney-Tunes style 2D animated adaptation of Gravity's Rainbow. But I suppose that's asking too much.

I still hope Pynchon pulls off some kind of publicity stunt before he dies.

99.99999% of them

even Ready Player One, the worst book ever written, will probably count

I just hope he writes something

Most books are better than the movie counterparts.

This thread would be better if we're talking about the opposite.

Fuck off troll.

Gone Girl is a better movie, but that's not surprising I am sure.

The book was shit

"Let's repeat the same chapter over 20 times and call it a post-modern masterpiece"

Didnt know I wanted this but that would fit really well

Matrix trilogy and animatrix

the looney tunes thing is apt af

Can't count trashy airport novels that good directors like Fincher direct, that's too easy.

I was thinking an anime in the style of JoJo, especially with no CGI (always ruins an anime for me) but that's also good.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this one.

Is pemulis /effay/?

This book would have to be REALLY good if I am understanding you correctly.

Ive lived my entire life by this book

I like neuromancer more than the matrix ok

Though I really enjoyed both the film and book, I appreciate the book slightly more
simply because Hugh Glass has to wade through more shit than he does in the movie. The plots are slightly different as well.

the super saiyans have super saiyan beards now? What's next? saiyan ass pubes?

unpopular opinion coming through

Did you misinterpret the OP? I don't think I've met anyone who preferred the movie.

Another unpopular opinion coming through

I don't know if this is a popular opinion

I think Blade Runner's plot and story is pretty weak. The visuals of that movie, and the mood are the thing that people remember it for... but not everyone's willing to admit that, or even realize it.

>reading for the plot
The Revenant is a visual movie. You know, like all of them. Juxtapositions of vengeance and mercy (both from pity) are found throughout.

Yes, this is one where I disagree: the film is better than the book, though I would also suggest that they were not even attempting to do the same thing so comparison is largely pointless.

They're so different though.

pemulis was an absolute lad why did dfw dick him over so hard in the end

Go read it and find out. It's not very long.

The American Psycho book is indeed better

Blade Runner is the best example of this. Dick has some interesting ideas, but can't follow through with them for shit, and his prose is pulp-tier. Probably why Ridley Scott jettisoned half the book and wound up with something decent.

Is the movie better than the book? Haven't tried either yet

Loved both, can't tell.

Nah, no loli and worse cop chase.