Who's the film equivalent of Joyce?

Who's the film equivalent of Joyce?

Don't post the 60s adaptation of Finnegan's Wake, that's some meme bullshit

there isnt one. sage

Federico Fellini - 8 1/2

I didn't read Jamba Juice, tho, might be wrong. I'm only basing this on excerpts and memes I've seen.

Fantastic film, I haven't seen anything else of Fellini though, if anyone has any suggestions please throw them at me

Funny, it's the first name that came to mind but since I know Joyce just from memes (and Dubliners) I couldn't find a reason for the comparison. I'm guessing there might be something to it now.

i loved nights of cabiria, not as surreal as 8 1/2 but just as much a celebration of life

go back to redddit

La Dolce Vita is similar to 8 1/2 but easier, more "traditional" in its approach. Many people prefer it to 8 1/2, so you should definitely give it a shot. I personally prefer when he goes for a more "difficult" style, such as in Amarcord and Roma, whose narratives barely exist and everything is in service of his surreal, mediterranean sensuality. They aren't actually difficult to understand, you just let them wash over you.

Well, their styles are both very playful, the stories are about existential wanderings but are ultimately life-affirming, the reminiscences and fantasies of the main character remind me of the stream-of-consciousness technique..

the absolute state of /shit/, two guys who haven't read Joyce equating his works to FILMS

As an avid Joycean who recently watched the first half of Otto E Mezzo (in the original Italian), I see no room for comparison at all.

GOODDAY to you, who 'have read little and understood less'

>watched the first half of
You're no better than me desu. I read excerpts, you couldn't watch one whole movie.

sure, I didn't like it. But I wouldn't assume to recommend a book to someone looking for a literature equivalent of 8.5, not knowing the film well

>Who's the film equivalent of Joyce?
There's none. Joyce is all about playing with the ambiguity of words - I can't imagine how you might be playing with the ambiguity of pictures in the same way. Might be possible, but hasn't been done yet.

That's why I wrote explicitly that my recommendation is based on excerpts and memes.

yah, i'm not mad, just having fun jumping on the 'in my day /lit was good' myopic generational meme bandwagon that in a fractal manner resurfaces here, with peaks every few months

--read j.j. though

bunuel and you cancer

I've been on lit for three and a half years, though.
And JJ is pretty low on my to-read list. Seems difficult, English is my second language and there's lots of other good shit that I'd read before him.

Joyce was a very cinematic writer and gave tremendous descriptive attention to the readers' visual orientation and perception of images. He opened the first movie theater in Ireland and there are many passages in his books which practically mimic camera shots

It's maybe possible to argue that there is a distinctive directorial style to his work. I'm sure some grad student has written a paper on it. I would say that if it is present, then it is not exact and succinct like Bresson, nor wild, explicitly personal and violently expressive like Mekas, but observational and bleeding with psychological detail, yet still maintaining a sense of distance and formality, as in the manner of free indirect speech

The best camera shot equivalent I can think of right now to a Joycean description, at least those in the beginning of his career, would be a naturalistic long take that places great emphasis on irony, a characters' psychological experience, and the minutiae of social interactions. So what immediately comes to mind is Altman, in that case

But the comparison falls apart when you consider the more adventurous passages and then of course the avant garde bits and Finnegans Wake. And as entertaining as Altman is, there's rarely a sense of wonder or awe like in the Joycean epiphany

I guess Joyce is ultimately a director in his own class

What's your mother tongue?

If you do decided to read the old boy, start with Portrait, its language is not very challenging but he shows his nerve well, I'd say

>What's your mother tongue?
Croatian

Whatever man this shit's boring who cares

>t. Haven't read Dubliners and Portrait