To the Lighthouse

> tfw this is the most boring book you've ever read
> tfw you have to read it for class
> tfw you get quizzed on this shit and have to write an essay
> tfw Virginia "muh feminism" Woolf keeps bitching about men who say women can't write in her book while also writing the most boring book ever
> tfw your professor loves Woolf
> tfw soyboy lit has infested academia
> tfw you want to die reading this shit

Fuck my life.

Read "Waves", it's the only Woolf book you need. Academics have a boner for "To the Lighthouse" because there's stuff to be analyzed in there and they need to fill the time in class with something.

>le suidicdal feminist who is remembered becuz she was the only modernist with a vagina lady

What are the merits of "Waves"? Based off To the Lighthouse, which I'm halfway through I never want to read this woman again. I wouldn't have read past the first few pages if I weren't forced to for class

It has a pretty experimental structure. If you're into shit like "liberature" or Mark Z. Danielewski, or even Joyce, then you'll probably like it.

Hey fuck of m8, I loved that book.

What did you like about it? Just curious. I don't like to entirely close off my mind to things, so if I'm missing something in my reading, let me know.

I haven't read those books. Some of my favorite writers are Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Cervantes, Shakespeare, Solzhenitsyn, Nietzsche, etc. I have pretty high standards for literature and Woolf doesn't get anywhere near them.

I'm a prosefag, so that's probably why.

But lines like;
>[Mr. Ramsay, stumbling along a passage one dark morning, stretched his arms out, but Mrs. Ramsay having died rather suddenly the night before, his arms, though stretched out, remained empty.]

Stuck with me pretty well. She captures a certain mood of loss and longing for a meaningful life that only a few other writers I've seen can capture.

I like prose as well. But some of Woolf seems really try hard. She'll describe little things like some child playing in the most grandiose of ways, and it comes off as pretentious. Maybe she might be trying to get into the psychology of a mother, with a tendency to exaggerate her own child's mannerism but I don't know. It comes off as really stilted to me.

I take it you don't like Faulkner either then?
But that's fair enough. To each their own.

I haven't read any Faulkner but it's assigned reading for this same class. haha so we'll see.

Are you the same guy who kept memeing about how much you fucking HATED Great Expectations and then made a discussion thread talking about how much you enjoyed it when you finished? These threads feel suspiciously similar to those.

Anyway, To the Lighthouse is fucking amazing.

I'm not that guy but I did not enjoy Great Expectations. My expectations were great going into it, and they were not met at all.

>Solzhenitsyn
>high standards
crank who put firecamp tales haphazardly on pages with cheap bombastic oratorical style, high standards indeed

Just about to start part two and thus far it's extremely engrossing. You need patience to get used to her style at first but once you do it's great.

As for bitching about guys who say women can't right, if anyone can't tell that Charles Tansley is a multi layered character they aren't reading properly. He pisses everyone off because he's an elitist dick with no social skills, but even Mrs Ramsey can't decide if she hates him that much.

It's like Simon said : Woolf est une emmerdeuse.

Hang yourself

not sure if bait or just high school

That line was such a weird one to read for the first time. I checked my page numbers to make sure I hadn't missed something.

I think you're right, it's about that motherly sense of pride and adoration for everything your child does. I enjoyed it, but I can see why it's not for everybody. For what it's worth, I'm neither a woman or a parent, so it's not like a kind of bias on my part.

no Euripides? You're a man of good taste.

This. The lighthouse was boring, and I like slow books.

youtube bros unite

After reading the tripe that was Sons and lovers I grew to hate modernism. Absolute boring stuff to read that could have been told in far less words. I had to read To The Lighthouse for the same class and said fuck it after reading 50 pages.