How do I get into reading?

How do I get into reading?
Whenever I try reading, I promise to read at least one chapter. Once that chapter is done, I release a huge sigh of relief knowing that I no longer have to read anymore.

You keep doing that, then eventually you die

find something you like reading, which is easy to understand. Dr. Seuss' books have good content and are very easy to read.

Promise yourself to read at leats the entire book.

Read what you want to read.
Jesus Christ no dumb questions my ass

My job forces me to use autoreaders, I use it for non-fiction and it works pretty great.

Basically audiobooks, but not for books that require alot of contemplation.

This desu. Start with children's books. I'm dead serious. Develop a habit.

Why read the book when I can watch a 2 hour movie as opposed to taking 2 weeks/months to read a book?

What you actually said:

"Why engage my mind in a deep process of thinking and imagination when I can spend 2h watch a movie like a zombie?" :D you are all that's wrong with society today :D:D:D:D

got em

哈哈

It's usually like that before you start reading, then after you get into it you will actually want to read more.

How about a list of books to start with that's not Veeky Forums-core 1280 page font size 8 novels?
Like Alice in Wonderland and the like.

Get away from your phone and computer.
I go to the library to read and leave my phone at home.

that's what I did
go to the lit wiki / recommend reading by type and choose something from the novellas section

>tfw too autistic to let any unknown word slip so i underline them, google them and write a synonym/explanation of each word on the page next to the text
>end up with 0-10 unknown words per page, averaging about 2 words per page
>reading is slow as fuck and not as enjoyable, but i persist

I keep a notepad near me when I read then after I read a chapter I look up all of the words and dump them into anki

read something that's actually good. I get tired of doing other shit because it's so boring compared to reading a really good book. Also read before bed. And start with short books, I started getting into reading again with the stranger ( >inb4 "you didnt understand it!" of course not but who cares? fuck off I'll get back to it later)

If it's a really good library they might have a dictionary you can use.

You either have the vocabulary of a toddler or you need to learn how to stop taking words in isolation and start reading the context of how they're being used.

english isn’t my first language

"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle

going back through the last 10 pages..

>pilfering
>simian
>muslin
>pinchbeck
>bunting
>streamer
>wainscoting
>contralto
>loosestrife
>etiolated
>lassitude
>gateleg table
>chimney pot
>no truck with women
>sinecure
>cat-o’-nine-tails
>enema
>aquiline

Yeah, you're a fucking brainlet.

at least i’m not insulting someone over the internet for no reason at all

Everyone I know who has this attitude of "you get the meaning from the context" constantly misuses words in conversion.

Great way of fooling yourself into believing your vocabulary is much more extensive than it actually is.

Reading isn't meant to be mindless fun. Go back to vidya and Doritos if you want entertainment

It's a discipline. Like any discipline it becomes easier with practice.

The only way I've found that consistently works is 1) *not* focusing so much on the overall picture (at least in the first reading and/or when you're trying to convince yourself to keep reading) but 2) trying to understand exactly what the author is saying in the sentence/paragraph/page/chapter in front of you.

This means, for instance, that with even moderately complicated novels, you'll have to give up the "read for 5+ hours in a row uninterrupted" goal and settle for slower, more constrained reading sessions. Is it about understanding every little reference? Maybe, maybe not. But the real focus is in putting forth good effort in good faith to take in the book's concepts/images/etc. in exactly the way the author wants you to.

As this applies to actual good books, this can only bolster your enjoyment and comprehension. As it applies to crappy books, it will reveal their flaws and hopefully get you to put them down sooner rather than later.

>in conversion
Oh, the sincerity

At least half of those are common words you should really know

>1280 page font size 8
Hey, well if you read one of the editions that's actually out, it's only 1192 pages.

Don't listen to these faggots. It's perfectly fine not to know words like "etiolated", "lassitude", "sinecure" and "pilfering". Read novellas with actual plots instead of literary ones. Read Robert Louis Stevenson.

It can be, you shouldnt be angry at others enjoying reading for entertainment purposes only, it shows immaturity on your side.

Reading is hard work, but satisfying.

Read some PKD my man, it's good shit.

Have you tried audiobooks? I know for certain that they are a huge help for children with short attention spans.

>muslin
>bunting
>contralto
>chimney pot
>cat-o'-nine-tails
>enema
i'm a fucking brainlet too but this is just embarrassing

Write the exact definitions of these words as close as you can remember them, then. No, you're not allowed to look them up.

Almost everyone is """familiar""" with tons of words, but to actually KNOW what they mean is entirely different. What said is exactly right: it's all too easy for someone to know words just through context and then get the meaning entirely wrong.

There's nothing wrong with looking words up, imho. Use something like Anki to help build your vocabulary. And while it might "take you out" of reading, I've always found it nice to know exactly what the author meant and to know that their use of a poignant word had interesting/subtle implications.

Isn't that an argument to read more? A book can entertain you for weeks (or months) but a movie's over in two hours?

What the fuck are you reading? A book about people being bored and pale in a 19th century manor house?

hes joking but hes also right

uh oh bad comment

reading feels like a chore
watching movies are fun

Reading is a delight if you're reading something you're interested in. I relish the hour or two I get to spend reading every day. It only becomes a chore if you treat it like one.