What's the freakonomics of maths?

Economics has a lot of nice accessible books for the layman that explain economic concepts in a simpler fashion. Freakonomics is probably the best known example (although it's maybe not the best book)

Are there any for maths? Accessible books about maths that aren't textbooks?

The first book I thought of was Ruskin's Stones of Venice as a great introduction toward beginning to study architecture. Also his Elements of Drawing as a like primer for sketching (amazingly helpful for one with no talent in that direction).
Love him or hate him what Ruskin does in Stones is identify and explain the use of almost every architectural member before initiating a discussion concerning his views, and knowing these elements prepares one enormously for any discussion or book on classical architecture whatsoever.
So far as maths are concerned a great stumbling block for Veeky Forums types is notation. What I would look for first would be a book about that. Other than that books like Enzensberger's The Number Devil, Abbot's classic Flatland, or even Devlin's The Math Instinct are all accesible. A little more advanced but only slightly more difficult is Danzig's old Number- The Language of Science (old Anchor pb's are out there- A67). Good luck.

Also, depending on HOW (you) think, (you) may find R&W's Principia enlightening, despite the forbidding title. Whitehead himself penned a little Math primer. Check that out as well.

Bump

What (you) want is Robert Kaplan's The Nothing That Is: A Natural History of Zero. Trust me. Start there.

You are right about there being a lot of good accessible books about economics, but Freakonomics isn't one of them. You might want to ensure that any accessible maths books you're recommended are actually on the level and not to maths what Freakonomics is to economics.

I've not read it, but A Mind for Numbers by Barbara Oakley is supposedly superb

how is freakonomics not an accessible book about economics? it literally explains interesting concepts for absolute laymen.

>it literally explains interesting concepts for absolute laymen

Such as?

Mathematician's Delight is an excellent little book that runs through really basic math all the way up to calculus and relates it all with really easy to understand physical examples.

Calculus Made Easy is sorta like that, but just for calculus. Explains it in a really bottom up, simple way.

Both books are available for free in PDF form online, I'd recommend at least checking out the first one, it was the book that really got me into math.

There is nothing inherently difficult to understand about fundamental economics. These books are fashion statements for the average idiot who pretends like they care about economics in front of their normie friends, so they openly display books like this.

Godel, Escher, Bach is a very readable maths book.

this is a book for bugmen

HOW NOT TO BE WRONG-- THE POWER OF MATHEMATICAL THINKING by jordan ellenberg

freakonomics, XKCD and their ilk represent one of the worst trends in culture. they fetishize calculation estimations and use their incomplete knowledge to come to completely pointless conclusions that never get turned into anything

Godel, Escher, Bach

you need to go to Veeky Forums fuck these philosopher kings meng
need to learn math you need to practice and read and read and innovate

Anything by Martin Gardner. It's on the very accessible end of accessible.

did you even read the book? literally every chapter explains an economic phenomenon

Mathematics is typically taught in a layman fashion, so any non tertiary school textbooks should work. Proper mathematics starts with studying logic, set theory, proof theory, and so on.

This