/sla/ - Second-language acquisition General

Are you making progress in learning a second language?

apps.ankiweb.net/

memrise.com/

duolingo.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0Xrr9mcdFvw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

learning Gàidhlig is difficult yet rewarding. I wont be fluent for a long time and I'm okay with that. I have to stay motivated to study on a day to day basis. I'm teaching myself, its daunting.

Trying to learn Russian and/or French. What's better, duolingo or memrise?

use Duolingo first, it has explanations of each lesson and teaches you simple grammar

Memerise is basically just vocabulary grinding, it's useful but Duolingo gives a better introduction to the language

aren't you supposed to learn a second language in school?

I learned Spanish not because I wanted to because it was required.

Then your question is really about learning a third language.

Did anybody here wait to learn a second language until college? Is it a fruitful endeavor?

>implying that learning a second language fluently wouldn't permanently divide your psyche and make you schizo.

Reading already does that. One more voice doesn't change much.

I wanna learn an East Asian language, but I'm not sure which one. Chinese seems practical but my desire to visit China is not high. I would like to visit Japan, but the language itself seems pants on head hard to learn. Lukewarm thoughts about Korea, but I know the characters and word structure already.
Brushing up on French because when I learned it in secondary, I was retarded and ignored a lot of concepts.

Between duolingo and lingvst I got a vocab of about 4 thousand in only a couple of months. It took me a little bit to really come to grips with the grammer which I started maybe a month before duolingo and lingvst. So all in all about maybe 16 weeks to be able to read wiki articles, the news, play paradox grand strategy games and novels written for teenagers pretty easily. To be honest if I knew learning another language was this easy I would have done it years ago.

Not in America

Second language teaching is so pitiful here that it might as well not be counted

I have a feeling like I already know the answer to this, ajd I'm going to be made fun of, but
How do you feel about esperanto?

It's clearly failed in the creator's purpose but it does at least have a following unlike every other auxlang. I see no purpose in learning it but if you want to learn a constructed language that's the one.

Autism tier, go learn Latin if you want to go the "not-so-useless-so-I-may-impress-someone-tier" and secure your patrician status.

What is the language to learn?

I'm Korean so I know English and Korean quite fluently and know a little bit of Japanese although I would quickly remember a lot more if I revised again.

Whats a nice Latin-based language to learn? Thinking about German

German isn't Latin based.... it uses the Latin alphabet, sure, but.

I learned French in university. Don't buy into the meme that you must learn it from childhood.

read e.m. cioran: cahiers 1957-1972, not wholly schizo, but he agonizes
a lot about how it is to live with a second language and to write in it
professionally (though he would hate that word).

some points I remember:
- having read a book in german or english, he can't into French anymore which
is agony, he can't get any work done and feels miserable.
- positive: says he knew an American who would only be able to really think
and talk freely in French while in English all the acquired automatisms
would drag him down and shut him down so to say.
- feels ambiguous about Rumanian (his first language), can't handle the emotions anymore
- says Andre Breton (whom he hates otherwise) showed great instinct as a writer
(of his native French) when he refused, during the war, to learn English.

English also is not Latin based ("romanic"). However, both German and English still use a large number of words of Latin origin.

Are you college-aged or older? That's inspirational. I lived for a couple years in India and tried to learn Hindi - didn't happen.

You still have the same core inner voice, just more ways of expressing it.

Duolingo first as an introduction, Memrise for medium-term vocab grinding.

For the long term, get a couple of easy books and French movies subtitled in French

In what language??

>a human bean somewhere in united states of america actually believes this

>Start particular classes with a former Japanese teacher
>Started good, understanding everything. Classes are once a week
>30 mins of kanji and an hour of grammar and conversation
>I run out of easy kanji to identify (like tree, fire and mountain)
>"Fuck, this is getting harder"
>Every 2 weeks i get a 22 new kanjis
>At 140~160 kanji right now. I forgot the ones I previously learned just to keep up to the ones i currently received
Is there a method that helps you remember kanji more easily? like exercises that asks you to write sentences with kanji over and over until you memorize them?
I know learning kanji is a meme and is not required for a foreigner to learn them thoroughly, but still.

Who here /Deutsch/?

Ja, jungen.

English is grammatically Germanic and the vocabulary is something like 60% latin derivate words.

Here. German is sort of a native language to me, learned it naturally from my parents growing up, but I'm sorely lacking in formal grammar and vocabulary so I'm trying to alleviate this right now by reading as much as I can in German, and doing some writing exercises to so I'm actually producing.

Reading the Luther bible right now, I write down any new words I find and at the end of the day transcribe them into a flashcard set which I will review over the course of the week. It seems to be working fairly well, I am incorporating many of these words into my conversations with my parents, so I see no reason to change my methods.

Hola anónimos!
Empecé a estudiar español hace alrededor tres semanas pero ya puedo leer muchos artículos de periódicos online. Es un idioma maravilloso!

I spent the entire day yesterday reading and speaking German. In the evening I had to sit down and write an essay in English for one of my classes. It took me some time to manually switch myself back into English mode, I had to read a few pages of a book to switch back completely. So, it's not entirely untrue.

I learned Esperanto two years ago. It's not very useful except for shooting the shit in online Esperanto chat groups.
Right now I'd like to learn Italian. I already know Spanish and English. I never learned grammar in school until my Senior year of high school. Every English teacher kind of assumed we had learned from the previous teacher. I should probably focus on fixing my grammar first before moving on.

Perhaps your brain is still adapting to the new language that's taken up residence in it? These things can take some time to settle before it all becomes seamless.

How do you guys feel about learning two languages at the same time? I was thinking German and French

Been bilingual my entire life (English and Swedish), it has brought me a lot of perks. I'd say the only thing that occasionally pops up is that I mix up the spelling in either language when it comes to words that only differ in one or two letters. Started learning a bit of Japanese a couple of years back, sometimes I feel something that is better expressed in one language over the other, even if it is just expressed through my inner voice.

Do you really have that much time? I wish I was you user.

I'm trying to lean both of those. Had a slight head start doing German in school, but I was terrible. So I picked that with a bit of a foundation.
Soon after I started French from nothing. It's kind of difficult to juggle both, but I'm not very good at either.
You can probably do it if you've got some time.

as a guy learning a third language that is not english, aka doesn't have THAT many resources: join a worldwide whatsapp group in the language you are learning, it forces you to practice. I didn't know where/who to talk to in order to practice italian, whereas english I had movies, games (tibia), 4chin...

in this group I'm in, there is people from brazil, usa, mexico, middle east and even italian fellows that corrects our mistakes when possible

>1st portuguese, 2nd english and 3rd italian

I'm taking Russian in uni right now. I wanted to take some Polish classes but I don't think I have room with all the fucking GEs and I'm angry

Any of you make a living teaching? How's it going for you? I'd like to teach languages since it doesn't seem like a soul crushing job

Have been learning Japanese for several years by now.

>tfw you learned finnish because of spurdo memes and ended up reading kalevala

>learning Finnish
But HOW

memrise and clozemaster every day for two years + getting a finnish gf

>go to /int/
>search "lang" on catalog
>???
>Profit

Torrent the pimsleur Russian audio lessons. I just finished lesson 90 last week, it took me 3 years but you can feasibly do it in 90 days. I am so close to being fluent but I need vocab grinding on memrise and subtitled movies. Anyone know any good Russian movies with subtitles?

Anything by Tarkovsky
Cheburashka shorts (youtube.com/watch?v=0Xrr9mcdFvw I don't know how good the subtitles are since i haven't started learning Russian yet)

Currently speak English and Polish, with a little bit of German and Spanish. I want to learn 2 more languages by the time I am done university.

I am thinking of getting my Spanish to a fluent level as an easy and useful language, and taking Mandarin as my minor so that I can learn to be fluent as well. Thoughts?

well, english or russian subtitles?