He doesn't read contemporary poetry

>he doesn't read contemporary poetry

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=AxIsSKU0wLY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i can't imagine anything as pathetic and meaningless as contemporary poetry. poetry is dead.

Contemporary poetry is boring. Dead art. Simply didn't have enough worthwhile to sustain itself.

reading 14th snail-garden manuscripts doesn't make you an expert on meaning.

I'm sure you say this as someone who has read much of anything that could be considered contemporary.

Well, I need not have said anything at all. The sales for contemporary poetry are... Well, not there. If you want contemporary poetry, fine. You're welcome to it. Not many of you out there, though. Better to find a community of three or so people that like poetry (they may be the only ones besides you on the planet, too).

>he enjoys modern poetry

mfw

>sales are an accurate measure of worth in art

Instead of strawmanning with instagram poets, consider actually looking into the art your mocking.

Slam poetry is good desu

Who are you quoting?
Why don't you just post your poetry?
It better not be in English, the language is fucking disgusting.

>my poetry
You mean the poetry I like?

I've found very few spoken word pieces I like, but I'm hoping it'll happen.

Gib me an example right now monsoir

Whether it is not literally yours or it is, it does not matter, I didn't mean to use the possessive with a literal sense.

woops

>instead of posting good points, consider reading dogshit and being a 90 IQ faggot like me
Nah

>reading potery at all

Stop baiting me, right now.

>reading anything
laughinggirls.jpg

>your mocking
good bait

No, it really isn't. You could argue a slump, but if you think it's dead you haven't looked hard enough.

Who are some you would recommend OP? Tracy K. Smith is solid from what I've read so far, but to me her style needs a good deal of refinement (granted, what do I know compared to her).

I've read some Chard deNiord, the poet laureate of Vermont (currently?), and I liked everything I read by him.

Have you read Fredreick Glaysher's epic, "The Parliament of Poets?" I haven't yet, but it is on my list to read soon.

Please, I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

dumbb phoneposter

*you're

>It's short for "you are," while "your" is possessive - as in, "This is your shirt," vs. "You're a good poet."
>I'm assuming a lot of you aren't native English speakers, and that is why I see this mistake on Veeky Forums.

>Fredreick Glaysher's epic, "The Parliament of Poets?"

I haven't, but I'll check it out.

These are two people I've read a little bit from recently.
>tfw ashbery died
:(

I'll check out deNiord

Hasn't been any good poetry since Wallace Stevens. I heard Ashbery died because he was such a shit poet

THE ROMANTICS WERE THE BEST

THE PREMODERNISTS WERE THE BEST

DICKINSON WAS A GENIUS

WORDSWORTH WAS A GENIUS

>'contemporary poetry should be more diverse!'
>this means more brown and trans poets but not diversity in technique or form

This is a fair criticism, but I think it is also fair to point out that there legitimately are more "brown" poets now, due to the fact that the residual effects of segregation are gradually wearing away as the generations which grew up in those circumstances die out and the modern West becomes continually more integrated, and, on the part of Blacks, more truly assimilated - in the sense that their culture adapts to the opportunities and information now available to them. These processes are generally slow, unless catalyzed by some extenuating circumstance(s), but they are happening.

There are also the increased migrations happening worldwide, due to an increased capacity for culture-sharing and travel. This phenomenon also increases the number of "brown" poets, of ethnicities not categorized as Black, who may be writing in English, or for the Western world - which they may have become a part of (though perhaps it is more accurately the Northern Hemisphere which many of them will have entered - already having been a part of the "West").

Diversity of technique is certainly something I wish to see more of as well, but for my part, I think we may have more diversity of technique within English poetry now than has ever existed before. I suppose what I truly feel is lacking is greater sophistication of technique rather than diversity of.

>As for trans, I consider it a sign of great cognitive instability and unwellness, and although some consider the works done by artists who are in malfunctioning mental states to be of great interest, I do not.

Hypothetically, more diversity in people should give more diversity in ideas but also more diversity in technique and form. That probably only happens if they're not trained in western institutes though, because they'd then just do the same things as everybody else

It seems like all black authors write about is being black.

It's a major component of the human experience for them, so its not unexpected it is a theme that's significantly more common than the equivalent in theworks of white people

>white people talk about being white
I cum to that.
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=AxIsSKU0wLY

Fuck of nigger lover. There are more brown poets because poetry has went to shit and applaudes people who write about trash. White folk ( the only decent writers) are off earning a living or doing something productive while generic nig nog writes a verse which all the degenerates at their pc university (Why niggers are aloud into university in the first place is beyond me) tell them it's great despite knowing next to nothing about poetry

If you don't write in meter I don't care about your poetry. There is very few exceptions to this

Yet, I know, without a doubt, that I could immediately produce a list of Black poets with skill far beyond any you might possess.

Keep your infantile insecurities to yourself. There is wisdom in discretion.

I hadn't expected to be so pleasantly surprised by a contemporary (black!) female poet writing in a metrical verse.
Very nice thank you user.

>he reads poetry

I read the shit in the New Yorker and the Paris Review, but I've never come across something in either publication that made me write down the author's name and seek out their work. It's all middling stuff

the thing about contemporary poetry is that majority of users here are too young to bother themselves with it just yet. kids have over 2,000 years of timeless poetry to study, you have to be specifically interested in something contemporary to pay attention to it

This guy fawkes

Do it faggot

>why niggers are aloud into university in the first place is beyond me
Simple grammar is evidently beyond you, so yet another thing being beyond you isn't surprising

You sure showed him. You also failed to address his point. Good job retard. Now tell me why you are too good to address him.

You sure showed me, a minor grammar mistake caused by autocorrect on an informal forum

Damn ya got me

Please do so

Wait, your praise is solely based upon the opinion of your nigger loving professors opinion you parrot

is this a sincere post? can't tell these days, there really are kids out there on the internet that are this ignorant. the nigger part is amusing on its own but when you added
>If you don't write in meter I don't care about your poetry. There is very few exceptions to this
to the end i began to question your sincerity. go on user, tell me why you think meter is necessary for a poem. i'd love to discuss it.

Why are you so afraid of black people, haha. Anyway, Gwendolyn Brooks, Langston Hughes, Tracy K. Smith, Saul Williams, James Baldwin, W.B. Yeats, Nikki Giovanni, etc. etc.
Poetry Magazine is much better for this, and always remember how many magazines specialize in particular genres/aims.

I think its possible to read the Canon at a healthy rate and still make time for living artists.

yw

how is yeats a black person

he doesn't think

He's Irish.

Tracy K. Smith (OP's pic)
Roger Reeves
Ishmael Reed
Phillip B. Williams
Claudia Rancine

These are all contemporary, living poets. I'd love to see you write one poem on their level; and there are many more (though many of them aren't consistent in producing poems at the height of their own skill).

I could go into all the other ludicrous aspects of your post, but it isn't necessary.

It is convenient for your worldview to imagine it happening that way, but, actually, it is just based on - wait for it (drumroll) READING POETRY.

Who'd have guessed, right?

Had bad/decent is Ploughshares?

I'm submitted to them sometime soon.

>if you don't write in meter I don't care about your poetry

KEK.

Poets, least of all artists, care for public opinion - let alone yours. A poet writes to write, and has little, if any, expectation of fame or fortune - especially in this day and age.

I listened to Tracy K. Smith read her poetry this last summer. Even got the chance to talk to her at a party. She's alright, but I don't think she was even the best poet at the event.

Everyone in this thread complaining about contemporary art has their head shoved too far up the asses of dead men.

SHAKING THE GRASS by JANICE N. HARRINGTON

Evening, and all my ghosts come back to me
like red banty hens to catalpa limbs
and chicken-wired hutches, clucking, clucking,
and falling, at last, into their head-under-wing sleep.

I think about the field of grass I lay in once,
between Omaha and Lincoln. It was summer, I think.
The air smelled green, and wands of windy green, a-sway,
a-sway, swayed over me. I lay on green sod
like a prairie snake letting the sun warm me.

What does a girl think about alone
in a field of grass, beneath a sky as bright
as an Easter dress, beneath a green wind?

Maybe I have not shaken the grass.
All is vanity.

Maybe I never rose from that green field.
All is vanity.

Maybe I did no more than swallow deep, deep breaths
and spill them out into story: all is vanity.

Maybe I listened to the wind sighing and shivered,
spinning, awhirl amidst the bluestem
and green lashes: O my beloved! O my beloved!

I lay in a field of grass once, and then went on.
Even the hollow my body made is gone.

*how bad/decent
*submitting

I'll make sure I'm not drunk when submitting my work.

Here's a good translation of a contemporary Japanese poet's work - Takahashi Shinkichi. The work itself is very good.

White Paper

I was walking on white paper.
However far I went, there
I remained, between the print,
Making no attempt to read, of course,
Part of the paper itself.

She was correcting proofs
with red ink. At a puff of wind
the paper stirred, and I saw
that she badly needed
a haircut. Miserable.

"I'll bring you fame!" I cried,
Then continued to walk
Until, before me, I saw a book,
Unopened. A fossil. I stepped
Over it and, without a glance, moved on.

I doubt wether any of you even care for poetry

You simply only care for the fact that niggers can't write it yet you need to try and vehemently defend it

And yet you contribute nothing to the thread, but a trite and inaccurate /pol/ sentiment. Hmmmm?