How does one become wise?

How does a person get recognized by their community as being wise, or as having prophetic ability?

There are people whose words are taken for gold by any one. Even if the person isn't smart, people place importance on certain individuals' words based on who that person already is. Is there a way to transcend superficial adornments such as prestige and popularity, and become objectively wise based on one's own insight?

Similar to how somebody can act as the "voice of reason" in a group, there can also be that one dude with Asperger's who is necessarily acknowledged partly out of solicitude, and partly because that person notices important shit that the rest of us don't.

I aspire to be like Tiresias, basically. Do I have to give up my eyesight? Make a deal with the devil? What books should I read?

talk vagely and never be caught out saying anything wrong.
Actually being wise is different to just appearing wise to a social group.
48 laws of power.

you can start by leaving this shithole

You need to go outside and meet more people, learn more about the world, and gain more experience. Every teenager thinks they have "insight"

>have a huge beard. Dye it white. Wear esoteric artifacts

You certainly won't ever be wise with that attitude

Dude, just...

Is this what Veeky Forums is about? Trying to look intelectual in front of your friends?

No way. It is about trying to look like an intellectual online without revealing your identity

this

Intelligence has nothing to do with it. The aim is to be a Tiresias if the modern age, the wise man of the hills who the community turns to when the barbarians are at the gates.

It's impossible to be this in the modern world. But the first step you can take is never using a computer again.

First you have to clearly define to yourself what it means to be wise, give strict criteria, and find out what most people consider as wise. After that you need to go out and experience the world and make conclusions based on careful observations, and you actually need to go out and talk to people otherwise you're never gonna get a broader perspective of the world and people.

One may become pennywise but pound foolish. Forget it. Begin with the a, b, c.

What does that mean?

Wisdom is applied reflection. It all leads to discipline anyways, so don't fool yourself thinking that wisdom is great.
Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday is probably the quickest way to 'get wise'. That's because the main point is that you realize the reality in front of you and your interaction with it directly.
It's not about telling others what to do. You tell yourself what to do, do it, and you do that for the rest of your life. If you want recognition you give talks about the work you're doing, the talks are work, then you do more work to figure out what to tell people and then do more work writing books.
That's how to be called wise, how to be wise, and how to do wise.

I new sincerely think this guy looks fucking badass

Pennywise is the clown in It; the ABC of Reading is a relatively easy and short work of Ezra Pound. It's just silly.

Will bear these in mind, thanks.

This, I'd also add Epictetus too as something good to read. Oxford has a nice edition of all his writings. The Handbook is a great reference, but you should really dive into his discourses to understand what he's on about. He's much better than Marcus Aurelius imo.