Non-literary works that could be considered to contain literary merit?

I know this sounds like an oxymoron, but consider this. What is it that gives a literary work literary merit? Themes, prose, representative of its own culture and time period, etc (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_merit). What non-literary works have these? Pic related because it's my opinion.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_merit).
youtu.be/M6VT2ri0UFM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>literary merit
Merit that relates to the way letters are used in the work.

A Tarkovsky film, although unique, does have literary merits.

>posts a literary work

Comics are not literary works

my diary.

Unironicly MGS2

Who cares about a comic's literary merit? Watchmen is a great comic because it does things that can only be done in comics. I think you've been reading too many books and now are looking at everything with literary lens.

>muh literary merit
other forms of art are their own thing and i don't see there's no need to reduce everything to literature you stupid morons

> What is it that gives a literary work literary merit? Themes, prose, representative of its own culture and time period, etc (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_merit). What non-literary works have these?

You don't have to say anything if you have nothing to contribute.

Persona 2 and Neon Genesis Evangelion

Agree with both of these wholeheartedly

Anything by Chris Nolan.

Why not? There are plenty of novels with illustrations accompanying them. Where is this definitive threshold that must be crossed to turn a piece of literature into something else by adding artwork?

This. Watched Solaris not that long ago and was amazed by how Veeky Forums it was.

bob dylan's lyrics, apparently

So you're saying that a subtitled film is a literary work?

This seems tough. Does a literary merit have to stand alone? I agree with the choice but a lot of its best qualities are in conversation with MGS1, which definitely isn't Veeky Forums.

Serious question can anyone think of some video games that would fall under OP's criteria?

Some tried. It's shit. Videogames only shine if they actually make use of their own medium rather than try to imitate litterature. Papers please did great.

> What are Visual Novels

Hot garbage

K-On, as the apotheosis of the homo ludens, as defined by Dutch historian Johan Huizinga.

I kek'd

I for one like this thread. The pseuds should have a place where they are all contained so they can discuss their own pleb ideas of what constitutes literature without mucking up discussions in the rest of the Veeky Forums threads.

Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill Downpour
Final fantasy 8
Second Sight

Mr Robot S1 is literally fight club, without the transparent foreshadowing and an actual exploration of the culture, beyond presentation of the zeitgeist(yes, I’m talking about Fight Club as in the book, pseuds don’t feel bad - the movie is practically word for word, barring minor changes to simplify the plot).

Pic related

Man watching Mr. Robot Season 1, and even 2 for the first time was one of the best TV experiences I've ever had. But I've been trying to rewatch season 2 before the new season starts, and I'm just not interested anymore and can't get through it

literature is anybody of written work idiot, this is literature

Dear Esther is a short story told through a game engine. The Protago ist does little but wander around a deserted island and muse out loud about his life and the history of his surroundings. Its an early experiment in what can be done in this new medium of expression,and I look foward to more of its kind...

youtu.be/M6VT2ri0UFM

S2 is a lot like S2 of The Wire, in that it needs to lay the groundwork. S1 is an amazing oneshot, and S2 is transitioning it into a viable series. I’d recommend just rewatching S1(that’s what I did, and the foreshadowing of the reveal is incredible).

Season one of Legion also hits many similar beats to Mr Robot, but it’s not quite as good.

I Love Kanye by Kanye West

You know it could be

Thief: The Dark Project
Thief: The Metal Age

Do you even read the text you utter retard?

> Everyone too smart for me or who discusses stuff I'm not interested in is a pseudo intellectual: an autistic retard's guide to Veeky Forums

You take that back you nigger

The Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus

MGS2

Agreed.

That's an interesting question. I would say that MGS2 stands on its own, but is complimented with MGS1. MGS1 is more of a blockbuster movie than a novel, but I'd argue that there are lit aspects of the first one. I find the stuff with Grey Fox, especially during the fight with Rex, to be well written (at the very least well acted). There is also some great dialogue with Sniper Wolf and Liquid. Plus that Psycho Mantis is pretty po-mo if you ask me.

MGS1 is definitely a fun game on its own. But MGS2 is more than just a fun game, the way it plays off the structuralism of the first game is so unique among games. I'm sure you've read that blog I'm referring to.

Oh yes I have, or at least one similar. That's a good point. Mgs2 in a sense plays the player. Mgs1 is more like a movie, a good movie, but a film none the less. Although I argue some aspects are pretty lit.

godly taste user

Thief is the pinnacle of stealth games, with unparalleled atmosphere and oodles of worldbuilding and detail

Deus Ex (the original)

I would agree until the last 2 seasons.
But the execution was always shittier than the concepts.
Most people miss the lit references. There are literally tons.

Well, references are missed even in literature.
I read some explanations and reviews on Lostpedia and other places and rewatched episodes.

Pic related. As far as I'm concerned, it has the scope, emotional pallate, refinement and artistic ambition of any great novel. I would equate it to reading Cormac McCarthy, when he's at his most epic.

It is, actually. Academics have considered films to be literature for years. It resolves a lot of issues surrounding how we speak about the general trends of culture when you become more inclusive.

For example, did the works of Homer only become literature at the instant in which they were solidified in writing?

Black Mirror feels like a nice anthology of short stories.

Most movies and series have literary mertit. Even the greatest snob has to admit that if Shakespeare or the Greek playwrights were alive today they would have made movies.

Unironically Undertale if the tumblr elements were removed
The leitmotifs and story really sell it to me tbdesu

blood o borne

my magnum opus I'm currently working on that will be the first universally regarded masterpiece of the medium