/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Anime in Prose Edition.
In celebration of our patron God Sanderson's upcoming release, list all the sff books with Anime in Prose you read.

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xRQcNbmJ_q0
youtube.com/watch?v=uF7uscfKrjA
forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=553599&hilit=lyonesse
jackvance.com/signatureseries/#vol52
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I dare you to find a more haunting villain than Sephiroth

youtube.com/watch?v=xRQcNbmJ_q0

Who has better anime prose: Robert Jordan or Brandon Sanderson?

Isn't Khaladin banned from using shardblades?

RJ's prose was bretty gud

>Someone writing a webserial with fanfiction tier prose and plot is making thousands off patreon and you aren't

I really liked the first book of The Prince Of Nothing trilogy: I read 54 books last year, and The Darkness That Comes Before was one of the 10 best. The second installment is so much of a disappointment
The plot seems to not move forward. By page 80 not a single new thing has happened. Boring. I thought things would get better when the action starts, but the first big battle scene lacks the poetry of the first book, and feels clunky & predictable. So if even the action isn’t redeeming, why keep on reading?
The characters seem to have lost their depth. In the first chapters Achamian keeps on repeating he is in doubt for pages and pages and pages. We get it. Move on, Bakker. Kellhus is a kind of superman – that was obvious in the previous book too – but it seems his Bene Gesseritish nature only gets more and more cartoonish. As for the side characters, all the nobles and generals seem interchangeable and generic, and seem to behave like children. To me, they felt like names and names and names, not characters.
Fuck this book.

They aren't making enough desu

neal stephenson´s snow crash feel like a like light novel by to aro majutsu no index author; k. kamachi

Red Rising felt like I was reading some 15 year old Jap's isekai story.

>merlon
>don't know what that is
>the solid part of a crenellated parapet between two embrasures.
>don't know what parapets, crenellated or embrasure is
R-ree

Name a more unaesthetic vidya than final fantasy. Protip: you Kant.

>Anime in Prose Edition.
You mean japanese light novels like Haruhi, Durarara adn Trinity Blood?

I want a change of pace for some reason. Could you /r/ me some books that feature a weak and (intentionally) cowardly protagonist? Only criterion besides not sucking. No real picky preferences for genre, setting, tone, etc..

why not just say battlements? it's much more common usage

>not enjoying Akkas wild suffering trip: the book.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

I liked it, but many people don't.

shinji is so fucking cute

Jordan. There's a couple of problems with WoT but Sanderson really butchered the ending, the contrast between his writing and Jordan's was quite jarring.

Because muh thesaurus

>I read 54 books last year
Pleb

>comparing snow snow crash and magical index
Tomoa doesn't fuck the codex.. But the ninjas do fuck the loli...

>recommending that again
Why do you like to trigger me?

What a useless pile of shit. Your reading list is the equivalent of watching 76 Hollywood summer blockbusters.

>76 shit books
>all that pleb trash
You fuckers actually read these brain dead drivel?

I was annoyed by all the tales, campfire stories and songs in Lord of the Rings. I would like to know which authors approach world building similarly to Tolkien so I can avoid them.

>pleb police on patrol

>pleb police
Indeed. Policing plebs like you.

I don't know what you're talking about.

This is the first time I've recommended it.

Is Will Wight good? His books?

Any good books with interspecies romance? It doesn't have to be the main plot/focus of the book, but I'd like if it was included like pic related.

The Girl with all the Gifts is the best by far.

Depends on how much you like anime

Is this a meme?

Is it not a romance? Perhaps you forget how our non-human character views our lead human?

You are a patrician gentleman of the first water.
I haven't noticed any illustrations in the ebooks either and I have over half a dozen at this point. I have noticed the footnotes tend to have asterisks misaligned to the right side, at least on a Kobo (a regrettable purchase).

I downloaded the archive of "Cosmopolis", the newsletter of the VIE. Presumably at least some illustrations were published within; I'll have a look.

Give me the hardest of all hard scifi ever written

Dhalgren

I'm a pleb, sorry. Outer space is where I was expecting. Plus I saw the movie and didn't like it. I didn't even know it was based on a book.

What if your character is walking the battlements while inspecting the investing forces and has to duck an arrow or two? What did he duck behind?

syl is his shardblade, and shardshield, and more than likely his shardplate at some point in the future, when his power level increases of course.

>Gay black author

Ah, that sucks, the book is really just a love story and is fantastic. Hate when books get shit rushed adaptions to movies for cash grabs.

I mean, you are literally book by it's cover cancer? "I'm an alt right faggot but I'm ironically not okay with faggots"

"To Live Forever" is such a better name than fucking "Clarges".

Those were my favorite parts, and I'm baffled that people would be turned off by them.

Can anyone recommend me some good right wing fiction?

Trump's pre-election promises.

Drumpf amirite xDD??

It was too obvious, I couldn't help it.

I don't disagree. Perhaps when you or I write enough material that a group of fans spontaneously gathers it up and restores it to manuscript form, then we can choose our favorite names rather than whatever the popped into the editor's head.

Pretty new to reading sci fi and fantasy. I just got done with Hyperion. I'd like to read things to do with pagan religions (particularly European ones), any fiction with good mystery, anything to do with a party of characters going on an adventure, and anything having various religions conflict with each other (like Lions of Al-Rassan).

Snyone got anything?

>General
Starship Troopers
Lucifer's Hammer
The Mote in God's Eye

>Libertarian
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
The Golden Age

Religious
>A Canticle for Leibowitz
>Out of the Silent Planet

The book explains shardblades are remnants of dead spren.

>finally reached the climax of ilium

this is some crazy shit, familias

Call of Duty: Black Nazis

>This is unlike what I consider the norm for a book
>This makes me angry

It's a sign of literally being a pleb

It's content more suited for encyclopedias. Readers also got better at identifying filler that doesn't advance the plot.

>Readers also got better at identifying filler that doesn't advance the plot.
>best-selling fantasy authors
>Jordan
>GRRM
>Sanderson

Yeah, uh, not sure about your assertion there.

>Readers also got better at identifying filler that doesn't advance the plot.
>Chortles externally

yeah. call of duty was a super realistic game with the respawns and kill streaks and shit.

sci-fi is shit

Just because something doesn't advance the plot doesn't mean it's filler. You might as well just read a book's Wikipedia summary if all you consider relevant is what advances the plot.

So is fantasy.

Now, please head back to outer Veeky Forums.

SLOPE SLOPE SLOPE

Your crusty dinosaur ass is just salty af cause people shit on a book you read when first released. Fuck your nostalgia.

when is book 3 coming out???? i cant wait anymore

Nothing wrong with old books. Lotr is dated though. I agree with that.

>LOTR
>Dated
So this... is autism.

Excerpt from the beginning of The Charnel God, a Zothique tale, where a wayfarer falls foul of local religious custom.

---

"Mordiggian is the god of Zul-Bha-Sair," said the innkeeper with unctuous solemnity. "He has been the god from years that are lost to man's memory in shadow deeper than the subterranes of his black temple. There is no other god in Zul-Bha-Sair. And all who die within the walls of the city are sacred to Mordiggian. Even the kings and the optimates, at death, are delivered into the hands of his muffled priests. It is the law and the custom. A little while, and the priests will come for your bride."

"But Elaith is not dead," protested the youth Phariom for the third or fourth time, in piteous desperation. "Her malady is one that assumes the lying likeness of death. Twice before has she lain insensible, with a pallor upon her cheeks and a stillness in her very blood, that could hardly be distinguished from those of the tomb; and twice she has awakened after an interim of days."

The innkeeper peered with an air of ponderous unbelief at the girl who lay white and motionless as a mown lily on the bed in the poorly furnished attic chamber.

"In that case you should not have brought her into Zul-Bha-Sair," he averred in a tone of owlish irony. "The physician has pronounced her dead; and her death has been reported to the priests. She must go to the temple of Mordiggian."

"But we are outlanders, guests of a night. We have come from the land of Xylac, far in the north; and this morning we should have gone on through Tasuun, toward Pharaad, the capital of Yoros, which lies near to the southern sea. Surely your god could have no claim upon Elaith, even if she were truly dead."

"All who die in Zul-Bha-Sair are the property of Mordiggian," insisted the taverner sententiously. "Outlanders are not exempt. The dark maw of his temple yawns eternally, and no man, no child, no woman, throughout the years, has evaded its yawning. All mortal flesh must become, in due time, the provender of the god."

>Lotr is dated though
This is your brain on genre. Any questions?

if you can't wait, tor is shitting out a few chapters of oathbringer every week for free.

last week we learned syl likes breaking into houses too watch people fuck.

>that one guy who hates everything written before he was born
>therefore reads nothing written after 2002

Just search for an alt-right blog or something.

>lying likeness
I feel as if there's a single word for this but I can't find it.
What does he mean here by a 'tone of owlish irony'?

i've worked my way through these books this year too. was sold to me as a metaphysical whodunit, severely letdown.

first trilogy was interesting and different than other fantasy series i've read, so it had that going for it. then we flip to aspect-emperor and it's all the salvation of the world is found through proyas' butthole, the sranc and nonmen are utterly depraved, and let's slog through another 30 pages of esmenet failing to rule competently while her shitstain of a son runs around murdereating people.

it's definitely gone downhill, and bakker is so far up his own asshole. he can't take any criticism and his fansite is a gigantic echo chamber that must stroke his ego in ways that his wife seems unable to

I'll take you up on that challenge.

youtube.com/watch?v=uF7uscfKrjA

Anyone know where to find an omnibus copy of Jack Vance's Lyonesse? The cheapest I'm finding is around 150 for a used copy. Is it either that or buying the individual books?

>I know, with a sureness beyond proof, that you sail into a trap
>and I beg you by the milk I gave you as a child, and the kisses as a man to stay home this one time
h-he fucked his mother didn't he...
These old books are filled with so much rape and incest.

Dune in particular, and then also Book of the New Sun.

forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=553599&hilit=lyonesse

Spatterlight Press has the individual books available as paperbacks on Amazon:
>jackvance.com/signatureseries/#vol52
Looks like US & Canada only. His son or whoever runs the estate probably doesn't have the rights back yet overseas.
>$18 each
Ouch. Yeah, I'm cool with the ebook omnibus @ $15.

Thanks, friends. I'll just buy them individually eventually. I don't like e-books. I've only read Dying Earth so far, and Cugel is one of my favorite characters I've ever encountered. I've got The Demon Princes in omnibus to enjoy before seeking out the individual ones for Lyonesse.

>therefore reads nothing written after 2002
That makes no sense. What you're writing means the person doesn't exist. He is a ghost.

If Sanderson wrote like this he could slip so much rape incest buggery and debauchery into his novels, but he insists to write in his layman's prose. Explaining every fucking thing. Nothing is left to the imagination or misunderstanding.

Hey. Looking for some creative and original Sci Fi after reading Quantum Thief trilogy by Hannu Rajaniemi and loving every bit of it.

>76
Weak. I did around 150.
This is the power of a NEET job in the graveyard shift and free access to my pirated epubs.

Depends. If you're after deep philosophy or great prose, might give him a miss.
But if you want what /sffg/ calls anime, i.e. a high magic setting full of badasses, a protag that goes from nobody to really powerfull by actually training and well written fight scenes full of superpowered swordsmen versus elemental summoners and master ninjas versus mage swashbucklers you might love him.
If you like Brent Weeks, Jim Butcher or Brandon Sanderson, you'll like him.

>Quantum Thief trilogy by Hannu Rajaniemi
Fun fact this book is Veeky Forums in prose. You have memes, autism , roleplaying, d, etc

>Cugel is one of my favorite characters

Is this a troll?
>all those meme books
You guys just make fake accounts and fill them up with nonsense right?

Alright fuckers I need a fun fantasy series to listen to, Harry Potter tier.

>Harry Potter tier

Eragon :^)

YES. It is the most crazy book i ever read. Enjoy it, you will remember this book for your whole life because probably nothing will ever tops it.

The name of the wind.
It's like pretentious Harry Potter.

Anything by Sanderson.
They're fun and light, and the production quality of the audio books is so good they're like radio dramas.

Thanks!
Just finished Radiance, the audiobooks are patrician for sure. Shallan is a qtp2t

>he likes Shallan

Are lefties really this pissy? You guys really do deserve a free helicopter ride