Who is the greatest short story writer of all time?

Who is the greatest short story writer of all time?

Johnny Hotcakes

Cortázar.

Seconding this, wanna know good references in short stories

And while I do love Poe, he has some real shit pieces and his great works don't compensate for it, so ain't no fucking way he's the best at it

George Louie Burgess

some of Poe's stories are just weird ramblings he seemed to write when he was drunk

Nabokov, Chekhov, Hemingway wrote great short stories (better than his novels), Raymond Carver, Joyce, Roald Dahl was actually very good at short stories

Not only the painful self-inserts the ethereal women stories where, ( Berenice, Ligeia and Eleonora, even tho its mostly on Eleonora ) but The Mystery of Marie Roget

Holy hell, it looked like he was just copying from some crime file and not actually writing, it was so fucking shitty

yes, I thought only the fist Dupin story, The Murders in the Rue Morgue, was good. The sequels were dull

Edgar Allen Poe was the greatest writer of all time

nah he died fairly young and only left one novel, some short stories and poems (not all of which are good)

but he was a very influential writer, one the most important in American history

Hemingway

>no one has mentioned Kafka yet

For shame, Veeky Forums

this

I am desu

This guy.

borges is a forced meme by pushed insecure south americans

I'm tempted to say Flannery O'Connor.

Guy de Maupassant or Chekhov

1. Kafka
2. Fitzgerald
3. Lovecraft
4. The New Yorker Fiction pages

Ambrose Bierce is excellent.

O Henry, Katherine Mansfield, and let's face it, Joyce

This dude

Either Franz Kafka, Anton Chekhov, or Steven Millhauser.

>short
for you

CHARLES FUCKING BUKOWSKI!!

Raymond Carver

It would depend on what type of short story your into. I think Lovecraft's stories were critical in the evolution of horror and are still chilling today.

Carver. What We Talk About and Cathedral are the finest collections of short stories I've ever read. Although Lish helped him to hone his craft in the former, by the latter his genius is abundantly clear.