What was the point of God giving Adam and Eve free will without the ability to know good from evil?

What was the point of God giving Adam and Eve free will without the ability to know good from evil?
>To test their obedience
How would they have known? Isn't it like putting a bone before a dog and instructing it to abstain from chewing? If they were innocent, how would they have known the difference? Sorry for my lack of theological knowledge, or any knowledge for that matter.

Other urls found in this thread:

ancient-origins.net/human-origins-folklore/origins-human-beings-according-ancient-sumerian-texts-0065
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It wasn't a test. God made Adam and Eve as laborers to take care of his garden, and just told them not to eat from his cool trees because it would cause problems, but they disobeyed. That's it. There's no moral to the story.

Read the Sumerian Genesis documents if you want something closer to the original spirit of the tale.

to paraphrase zizek, the best functioning ideology is invisible

remember the bible is just stories you tell your kids to get them to behave

So how would He really have loved them as his children then? Why give them the freedom of choice at all in the first place?

The whole debate about free will and all that is without the shred of a doubt a later reading into the story.
Remember that God throws them out before they eat from the tree of life because otherwise they'd become immortal.
All these dumb allegories Paul and later christians read into it are not defensible from the text while the actual content of the text gets ignored.

So humanity always been stupid, not eating from the tree that makes them immortal first?

>God wants man to have free will
>But if man doesn't do exactly what God wants, an eternity of torture awaits

Is God retarded or just an asshole?

God has given man free will as a challenge to abstain from sinning. God is also omniscient so he knows exactly what humanity will do. His purpose for our creation isn't understood to us since he has multiple other ones that worship him unconditionally. However our reason for existence is clarified as abstaining from sins to gain his pleasure and enter Paradise.

To use a metaphor, if all creation is a word, then anything that is unsaid by that word (but could have been said), is evil. Therefore, God himself cannot truly consider evil.
Thus he made beings who CAN choose evil, to gain new insights that can improve creation.

>inb4 all-powerful paradoxes
read up on gnosticism you shits.

>Sumerian Genesis
Yeah, it's an interesting read.
ancient-origins.net/human-origins-folklore/origins-human-beings-according-ancient-sumerian-texts-0065
Much about the Sumerians is, actually.

But with the other choice being perdition, wouldn't any other sane being abstain from sinning not out of the love for Him, but fear? If one exerts his freedom to choose the contrary and be persecuted for such, isn't this freedom a mere phantasm? In that case, I do not see how the system God has created is different from an authoritarian state where all liberties are only nominal, since there is only one correct path, or am I wrong to assume that man is more than just an entity of obedience?

Why would you want to please such a Creator?

>what was the point

There is no point in creation.

>how would they have known that eating from the tree is evil if they don't have knowledge of good and evil?
It's as if you understood it but didn't understand you understood it. As if you were an idiot.

why does the girl in that picture have PS1 lara croft titties... dems some triangular titties, nigga

>literally what is omniscience

Nah, you don't understand. It's just tough love, like when a husband beats his wife to make her a better cumslut

That's the point of the question, really

Because you get to burn in eternity forever if you dont

Christian Apology is indistinguishable from parody.

god is new at his job. these are the first humans. he really doesn't know what a creation that is built in his image will do.

turns out they fucking suck and they don't really ever stop sucking ass.

pretty much all creation myths start out with everything all chill and shit before people fuck it up. there was one exception, maybe hesiod?

nigga stop suckin ya own dic fo a minute

Adam did not have free will and neither do any other humans. At least not in the sense that you mean it.

the authoritarian state is so evil because it is a perversion of man's proper relationship to God, bringing it from it's rightful place, heaven, down to earth, and replacing God with a very fallible being.

From what little I know of theology, the idea is that yes, all liberties are basically nominal, that is, arbitrary. All that matters is whether you place your trust in Jesus or not. In that respect, man is an entity of obedience, but Christians don't think that that is all he is. The choice to love God or not is perhaps the most important (or at least currently the most relevant) part of man's being, however.

Disclaimer: I know very little about theology. Moreover, I don't do good, and I don't say that out of false humility. I give very little to charity and I'm very cold, even around children.

apples. you can't live with em, you can't live without em

>I'm very cold, even around children
Then wear a jumper or something lmao

I'll break it down for you, OP.

Everything that has or will ever occur has been decreed by God. The fall of man, like everything else, was decreed by God. Adam possessed a will that was free in the sense that it was capable of willing both good and evil. So in Adam's action of eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, despite the fact that the only possible outcome was that decreed by God, he was acting in accord with his will.

God decreed that man would fall so that he could demonstrate his love and mercy in the forgiveness of some, and his justice and holiness in the due punishment of rest. All of humanity is created for the purpose of glorifying God, either through their salvation or their damnation. Due to original sin, the human will has been corrupted such that it is only capable of willing evil. So all of the evil which men do, despite being decreed by God, is also in accord with our will. If we are given the gift our faith, our will is restored to a state in which it is also capable of also willing good, and in our state of glorification in heaven it will be capable of willing good only.

Because that's not what you're reading, dimwit.

>God decreed that man would fall so that he could demonstrate his love and mercy in the forgiveness

This is the worst thing.

The nordic creation myth was a guy being spawned out of steam in a void and then being killed by his asshole offspring

What am I reading then?

>he has multiple other ones that worship him unconditionally.
How do you know that? You're literally trying to describe parallel universes here, you sound slightly insane.

>God himself cannot truly consider evil.
Then he isn't omnipotent?

free will is the biggest spook there is

why the fuck do you listen to a calvanist and don't read the bible and then on judgement day like a cuck you're going to say "but muh calvanist Veeky Forums user said it so it had to be truuuuu" fucking moron

false premise, you assume they did not have the ability to know good from evil, when clearly they knew that disobeying God was wrong

moron thread, get a fucking job

>why the fuck do you listen to a calvanist and don't read the bible
If he read the Bible he'd end up a Calvinist as well.

Its like the priest in a clockwork orange

I know nothing about Sumerian texts other than the Epic of Gilgamesh. I'm really interested about their civilization and mythology. What do you or other anons recommend?

Calvinism is an abomination.

>why the fuck

The other apologies are just as grim. Salvation itself, never mind its details, is irrelevant in the face of the abomination of damnation.

If there's one thing I admire about Calvinism, it's that it doesn't try to weasel out of this shit, but just presents everything straight. You can see the same thing with arguments about the Old Testament genocides and any number of things.

Consider you have a five year old child. You told him not to enter in a particular room in your house. You told him ‘if you enter you will die’. After you leave the home, one your cousin came and told your child that it OK to enter the room. Your son may have told him that dad restricted to enter. But when your cousin said ‘it is OK, I will manage dad when he will know about it’, your son entered the room. Now my question is how you gonna deal with your child? Will you claim it sin and kill him? Or will you just advise him what is right and what is wrong and fogive him as considering his mental capability of understanding good and bad?

Please, I prefer reference of Bible rather than interpretations.

the serpent was the good guy