>The Aeneid
>Dante

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=iliad translation Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>translation
Don't bother.

DO fuck off

For The Iliad and the Odyssey, Lattimore is renown for his translations. Many consider them the best possible translations since he adheres closely to the original Greek.

For The Divine Comedy, I've heard good things about Ciardi and many consider his version the best.

I'm not sure about the Aeneid. Fagles did a translation but I don't know anything about it. His version is pretty common but I didn't like Fagles' rendition of the Iliad/the Odyssey so I don't trust him much. I'd research this one more.

But definitely go with Lattimore for Homer, and Ciardi for Dante.

Learning greek is too hard for me
Spoonfeed me the translations Veeky Forums

fagles and ciardi

Thank you, I'll definitely look up Lattimore and Ciardi

>adheres closely to the original Greek.
isn't that a bad thing in poetry?

use the chart newfags

Do you have the chart for Homer too?

Fagles for Aeneid
Lattimore for Homer
Kirkpatrick for Dante

Fagles for straightforward
Pope for dank verse

Iliad/Odyssey, Lattimore
Aeneid, Fitzgerald

EVERYTHING is inferior. Fagles is terrible.

I've got the Samuel Butler translation, and it was a bother to think to myself every time I read the name "Jove" to think Jupiter/Zeus and Juno as Hera, etc. Trying to keep track of characters with different names is just one step farther away from enjoying the book fully.

No reason not to go with the Mandelbaum Everyman unless you're looking for a poetic version, than Ciardi.

i agree with this 100%. i read dante in various translations, and the one i enjoyed most was mandelbaum's, even over the ones that are more "renowned" than his. ciardi's is good for its poetic voice, and a handful of key quotes are translated with a little more flair and gravitas in ciardi, but i think the best overall translation for most readers is mandelbaum's.

I took the coward's approach and purchased Mandelbaum's translations as well as the Oxford one by Sisson's, which I feel lies halfway between the pair in terms of fidelity and license. I could be wrong though - I'm not an expert and I'm only just now through Inferno and moving into Purgatorio. Both of these anons sum up my feelings on Ciardi/Mandelbaum - it's different things for different people. Both of them have sections which really shine, and I feel better for having read them both.

>sisson's
fuck my spelling

Lattimore for the Homers, maybe Fagles for the Virgil (not sure), Durling, Singleton, Bickersteth, Musa, Hollander, or Binyon for Dante.

Forgot Madelbaum or Ciardi for Dante

IF YOU DON'T READ POPE AND DRYDEN POETIC TRANSLATIONS YOU ARE A FUCKING PLEB AND THAT IS FINAL I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PEOPLE ARE ON MY BOARD RECOMENDING FAGLES

>not reading multiple translations at once
I dunno man.

Agreed. You're all plebs.

lmgtfy.com/?q=iliad translation Veeky Forums+lit

But Veeky Forums usually has the best opinion I don't trust yahoo answers

Dryden's translations are unsurpassed. Particularly his versions of Horace and Ovid, highly recommend, in part bc I think the subject matter and urbane temperament of the Augustan era romans suited him. Nobody has ever surpassed Dryden for sophisticated, powerful diction, and that includes Pope. He is arguably also the first great prose writer in English with his literary criticism.

Reading Sisson's right now and it's really bugging me. It so plain and... unpoetic. I can't compare it to any others but I suspect I made a bad choice.

I gave you link to Veeky Forums opinions.

C. Day Lewis translation of the Aeneid is closer to literal so I prefer that one