You can only choose one

You can only choose one.

Easy saul

Bellow was a better writer than le angry jewish masturbation man

> In the protests in the beginning of Norman Mailer's Armies of the Night, when Mailer, Robert Lowell and Paul Goodman were marching to protest the Vietnam War, Bellow was invited to a sort of counter-gathering. He said, 'Of course I'll attend'. But he made a big thing of it. Instead of just saying OK, he was proud of it. So I wrote him a letter and he didn't like it. He wrote me a letter back. He called me a Stalinist.

Bellow, no contest.

Mature Roth > any Bellow >>>>> any other Roth

the proper rivalry is updike and roth

Roth is going to die on Halloween.

He'll die on the last day of Rosh Hashanah, September 22, when Joshua Cohen takes his heart out and eats it.

Bellow

Just finished Goodbye Columbus and I was thoroughly let down. Does Roth "become" good at some point in his career? Is there a defining text of late-Roth?

American Pastoral. It's like Underworld except actually good.

Portnoy's Complaint was when he really made the news and shocked everyone, after that he starts really coming into his own. His best books were all published during the '90s, though

I loved pic related but part of me wishes it were an essay instead, so after I finished it, I read Closing of the American Mind again.

>wow, i sure love reading longwinded passages about the finer points of sheepskin glove manufacturing!

>Not unironically enjoying learning about the finer points of sheepskin glove manufacturing only to find out that the applicant is ruining his daughter's life and also wants to fuck him as a sexual rebuke of the traditional American ideal

Found the pleb who skipped Cetology.

I'm with this guy. The good parts of that book were few and far between.

I got the point, but the setup was unnecessarily, gruellingly long. Not to mention that some parts read like the ramblings of a dementia patient.

I can't believe it's the same guy who wrote Portnoy's Complaint, which is about as succinct and lively as a novel can be.

Did it really stick in your mind? It took me a minute to remember what you even meant

He peaked around the 90s

really though he is overrated, Updike and Bellow are both better, Harold Bloom just has a Roth boner for some reason

bellow

Essential Bellow?

Published only two years after Sabbath's Theater, which is like the director's cut of Portnoy's Complaint

>tfw too intelligent for postmodernism

I thought we liked DeLillo

I liked it

JOKE: The status quo is just natural.
WOKE: The status quo is socially constructed and not natural or given at all.
BESPOKE: Social construction is natural.
Or as Mr. Sammler puts it: civilization rests on consent. The goddamn thing collapses if we stop believing in it and then you have insane Holocaust survivors beating muggers to death in the middle of 7th Avenue and Indian physicists writing books about traveling to the moon and your insane daughter looking for a crooked doctor's hidden millions.

Also this.

How about neither of the neurotic bastards? But bellow- Roth sucks. Appeals to Veeky Forums and bloom for masturbating a lot, probably.

wew

>he reads authors who AREN'T neurotic

I have fond memories of reading Henderson the Rain King on a hot day, so Bellow

That's an autistically specific memory

The Adventures of Augie March, Seize the Day (it's short and you might need to know a little about commodities trading ... but trust me, you'll like it) and More Die of Heartbreak are the ones I've read and enjoyed. He won the Pulitzer for Humboldt's Gift but I never read it