Freelance writer/getting published

Is being a freelance writer a waste of time compared to trying to get published?
I've done work as a freelance writer and it feels like I can't sustain myself doing it, would I be better off writing what I want and trying to find a publisher?
How hard is it to get published these days and what are some things to watch out for?

I know a writer translated into several languages. He is also an editor, translator, and writes some stuff for newspapers etc. He told me he is barely able to get by.

So he's published and freelancing?

Publishing market is pretty fierce, I've sent roughly 50 letters and only got progressed (not accepted) maybe twice.

Be sure your first chapters are gold, and more importantly that it responds to the market sentiment at the time.

I'll say this right now. If you are defying tropes in your genre even a little bit, you have next to /no/ chance of being picked up if it's your first project.

What's the best way to keep in touch on what the market wants?

If you're going to play that game just get into self-publishing. At least you'll have more control over your funds.

Any tips on that? I know how to published on Amazon and that you can put it as free for a while, but that's it

There's plenty resources on YT, I recommend Joanna Penn's channel/books, they're pretty concise and practical

It's alright if you also have a real job and just use it to stay sharp and make a little extra cash here and there.

Thanks user I'll look into her

The only way to make money as a writer is doing TV. It's actually infuriating how much money you get by being a relatively unsuccessful TV writer. I talked to a guy who does TV rewrites, doesn't even have to write the fuckin scripts himself, just fixes em up a bit. Anyways, he told me he gets most of his money from scripts his that don't get picked up.
Here's how he explained it:
>Make pilot script
>Get it to FX through a good agent
>FX likes it, but isn't sure whether they'll take it yet
>While they decide, they have to pay you a pretty hefty sum in exchange you can't go to other networks.
>They pass on it, you're released from the contract but keep the money
>Get pilot to Fox through agent
>Repeat...

That sounds fantastic, but what kind of background do you need to not have your pilot script immediately thrown in the trash? Previously published writing, smaller credits on other shows?

Speaking of television, does anyone here recommend any books on screenwriting?

The format stuff you can just look up, but Invisible Ink is a pretty good one regarding stories and structure.

I feel like there's no book that will get you the experience of a live class, especially with something like screenwriting. You should look at one of your local community colleges to see if there's a good screenwriting class available; they usually come cheap.

How do I get involved in this if I'm not wealthy/Jewish?

Please speak more on this topic.
I've noticed editors for hire who run youtube channels connected with publishing companies. I was begining to think that it was simply a pay to win sentiment much like music is now a days.
I run my own music label. Many people do, that's just for the novelty and no one will ever hear it buried under all the other shit.

A good spec script put in the right hands with a lot of luck can get you a job in a writers room which can get you an agent who can get your script to a network

Ok but how do I find the right hands to put it in?

I know someone who has a similar deal. The year his book came out it was the only short story collection published by his major publisher, and it even won some awards and got picked up in 8 or so different languages. He makes better money abroad than here, but it still isn't enough alone. He even has a deal for his upcoming novel, with an advance. He teaches full time at an MFA and publishes short stories fairly regularly in major pubs to make a decent living, in addition to paid speaking engagements.

Follow contemporary work in your chosen genre. If you want a big deal, monitor what the big event books are at the time. Ie award nominees, or just things you see getting pushed a lot. The Millions is good for that, their most anticipated lists as well as their best sellers are a good indicator with what is popular with literary-ish fiction. If you're doing something more difficult/innovative small presses are your friend.
And tons or people here forget the MOST IMPORTANT first step: FIND AN AGENT. Most publishers won't look at you without one. It greatly increases your chances.

Feet on the ground in LA helps a lot. A friend of mine does a similar deal to what does, and it scored her a gig writing jokes for shows. Her stuff has been in stuff from Two Broke Girls to NCIS: New Orleans.
You do have to be a pretty religious TV watcher, but not let it take iver your life.

So basically "you need to know someone and it helps if you have the resources to move 3,000 miles away from what little support network you even have to live a new life as a complete stranger in an expensive city in an expensive state."

:(