What do we think about this series again?

What do we think about this series again?

The books, not the show.

the more she drank the more she shat

Penny dreadfuls for sword-shit

Tolkien is to creative literary genius what Martin is to hack pulp idiocy. They both so far surpass anyone else in their field that they will be remembered 1,000 years from now as a kind of yin and yang of fantasy, a Manichaen duality of speculative letters. For every sublime, luminous beauty that Tolkien has gifted the world, Martin has cursed us with a tedious, banal ugliness. It is unfair to compare the two directly on any one point, because Martin is in every way the anti-Tolkien, patently sterile, parasitical, and inferior, but so much so that he becomes a monument in his own right, and counterbalances Tolkien. Could one exist without the other? Tolkien obviously could. But it is only by the contrast that Martin offers that we can truly appreciate the full depths and heights of Tolkien. Our understanding of Tolkien would be incomplete if Martin had never set pen to page. It is through only the abject failure and futility of Martin that we can approach an apprehension of the true scope and scale of Tolkien's hitherto inconceivable greatness. Perhaps this is what Tolkien had in mind when he wrote about the Music of the Ainur. If Tolkien is a subcreator in the image of Eru, truly Martin is like unto Melkor. It is only reflected in the awfulness of the one that we can fully see the goodness of the other.

Shaddap dumbass. They're both literary geniuses.

I greatly enjoyed the first three books. The fourth one was okay, and I never read the fifth.

Her cunt became the world

>They're both literary geniuses
Explain how grrm is a literary genius in any capacity. This is the dude that wrote "the sight of their arousal was arousing" and published it.

>The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to shit.
It takes a writer of true vision to come up with a simile like that.

It's an entertaining soap opera. There's little in the way of thematic content, and most of it is crammed into the 4th book.

Steven Erikson is better

The show is better than the books.

The fact that you're still suckin' that meme's cock is baffling. It's like you're back in /b/, regurgitating the same criticism that you already saw the other forty faggots spew. Anyways.
George made fiction highly unpredictable by breaking away from the "Good guys always win!" trope as well as some other tropes that persist through western fiction. He weaves multiple plots into one, making his world look more alive. He may not have been the first to create autistic levels of lore, but that's fine, we can't all be born circa end of 19th century.

Its a meandering mess of a story.You could read the first book and the last book and not really miss anything of the overall story. The books rely on tired cliches to create drama and create an illusion of story progression, the most prominent example of this being the fakeout deaths. Every character that has a chapter named after them has a fake out death. When a main character gets stabbed a dozen times and dies in a cliffhanger ending and nobody in the world believes he's actually going to stay dead we have a problem. Martin also overuses rape and other sexual deviancy to shock an audience that couldn't possibly be shocked by it at this point because its so prevalent. Out of the hundreds of different acts of sex in the series only 2 or 3 take place between a married couple.

I'm not smart, but I know there's stories in Western literature where the good guys didn't win before GRRM started this series. Unless you're referring to something else he did, I don't know how you can believe that.

The writer are horrible bland
The show is better because you dont gonna waste so much time

Feel free to list older books that contain what you're talking about.

My God... my sides.

>Out of the hundreds of different acts of sex in the series only 2 or 3 take place between a married couple.
That just sounds realistic desu.

very boring to read
every chapter is meaningless until the end where something eventful happens but its a cliffhanger so you have to keep reading to see how it pans out
repeat x 100 for each book

I don't think I'm going to belt out a list long enough to please you, so let's just go with Animal Farm. There's also any of a number of Lovecraft and Howard stories, as well as Frankenstein.

SUNSET

>Howard
as Robert E Howard?
As in, Conan?
Conan never dies. Conan is the cartoon alpha male of ooga booga.
He.
Doesn't.
Die.
Or does he?

theres some interesting character
jaime. he has to fight and live with his horrible personality. Antihero as he goes, one just can't stop love him
cersei. not so intelligent but her love to herself and their children are nice
arya. generic revenge dude learn to kill with low shit fantasy but is okay...

other: shit character
the manlet zombie. fuck him
the intelligent manlet. i like him but he is now annoying af
dani, is just a tryhard deus exmachina shit with shitt feminist that my shitty gf got wet..
the obviosly fat selfrepresentation of the writer getting a hot girl. He literally cuck himself. What

Stop writing like a retard

hmmmm no

It doesn't matter because A) losing doesn't necessarily mean dying, and B) Conan stories aren't his only work, and C) I also mentioned non-Howard works.

Shit throw Treasure of the Sierra Madre on the stack. It was popular enough to get a movie so I certainly think it counts. The very best one of the protagonists could hope for is returning to poverty. Of the other two one is shot and the other is robbed and killed by bandits.

Why is Jon not staying dead a problem? What's wrong with fakeout deaths? And hons story did progress, because he left the nights watch

I don't think the rape and sexual deviancy are there to shock, they're just there because that's how his world is.

Marriage is a meme and sex outside of marriage isn't really a sexual deviance

>"the sight of their arousal was arousing"
I love it when I google something too ridiculous to be true and it turns out to be true.

He probably thought of it while he himself was constipated and on the toilet

There is nothing wrong with that sentence at all

Initially the reader mistakes the author's spite towards him for bold world building. The likable Ned dies, the only interesting heroine is sent on a bus to be seen once a decade or so, the awful ones get far too many pages, but it's only when Martin takes you on the shaggy dog story known as Brienne's subplot that suspicion takes hold that no, you're not going towards a great battle for Westeros or factions pulling together in solidarity to fight the evil ice people, the author is tired and bitter, his success has only proved to him how right he is to double down on the demonically entropic theme and gleefully crush every interesting character to prove how much he thinks even dark fantasy is too fantastical unless someone with a birth defect and childhood trauma also gets cancer.

Subpar writing of a pretty average story about a quasi-morally grey world that's overblown by marketing hype, but the world, its history and political interactions are compelling enough to make you want to read on and learn more.

>le morally gray characters xD
Books for babby potter fans and other non-readers