So I'm with a girl and she has on one of those pointy goddamn sad little cone bras and she asks me to take off my...

So I'm with a girl and she has on one of those pointy goddamn sad little cone bras and she asks me to take off my goddamn shirt before we make out. So I do, and know what the hell she does? She laughs at my back acne for chrissakes, just point and laughs right there in the bedroom and all. So I call her a phony and get up to leave the goddamn room but she grabs me by the arm and looks at me with these big ol' wet movie starlett doe eyes. Christ, that always kills me. It really does. So I make up my mind to stay. and she's giddy and beside herself and all and we start to make out but then I get this feeling, like way deep down in my stomach, this queezy feeling, and I remember jane gallagher in her red and whtie sweater and I realize what I'm doing is just wrong and phony and all and I just up and walk out of there. And then, on the train home, wouldn't you know damn well know it, it just starts up and raining and I feel like gods up there, but not with the apostles, just alone, and he's judging me for what ive just done. But I couldn't help it. That phoebe is just so sexy. She really is.

top american prose

I buy cheap copies of Salinger and destroy them just to save others the bother.

Is nine stories bad too?
never read that one

ummm, no sweetie, sorry, but salinger is top-tier ;)

Hahahaha

lul what a bitch why she gotta laugh at a mans bacne he cant control that shit, but I guess at least holdens gettin some pussy and thats more than can be said of me even if the girl is a bitch

This is a bad shitpost because the FEELS that Holden discusses intimately are what every teenager in the world feels.

The book isn't a masterpiece, and can be pretty shit at times, but I think it really does capture those teenage feels. Unironically, my inner monologue when I was in junior year of HS was a lot like Holden's but with infinitely more autism; I thought about how bad I wanted a gf and obsessed endlessly about the Vietnam War. In between playing Minecraft and doing endless hours of homework to try to boost my GPA and get into Stanford I would think about what it would be like to live in the late 60s and get drafted for Vietnam. I thought about strapping explosives to my chest and jumping right on top of an NVA tank. I had dreams about it at least once a week. Now that I'm in college I don't feel like that anymore, I just go with it, drink the cheapest available vodka, and fuck a girl I knew from high school. I may not be at Stanford like I wanted but at least I am alive and enjoying it.

Last weekend I met a guy in In-N-Out, he was drunk and said he was on cocaine. It was 6 AM, and he had been up all night. He tried to walk over to the drink machine. He stumbled over his own feet, and when he finally reached the machine he overfilled his cup to an extreme degree, spilling soda on his shoes. They were white vans slip ons. He walked back over, almost doing a pirouette, and spilling half of his drink on the floor. He said he wanted a girl to come over to the place to suck his dick in the bathroom and that he had been messaging every thot he knew to come over with no luck. I walked out into the humid air. Something in the air didn't feel right. I swallowed an Adderall.

don't savor the moment, savor a moment from when you still had expectations

It was supposed to be a tribute :(

I'm the OP and I've always thought it a masterpiece. The humor in the vein of Twain and Hemingway, Salinger's skill at sustaining the reader's interest and moving the plot, the beautiful passages about Jane and Phoebe. Very few books even remotely approach it.

>Last weekend I met a guy in In-N-Out

That whole paragraph reads like Bret Easton Ellis (this is a compliment). Nice work.

thanks man, it was based on a real incident

Yourwe a tremendous faggot, kill yourself

ok

Nine Stories is excellent. Catcher in the Rye is Salinger's worst work.

But in-n-out isn't open at 6am

Not if you only read novels. when is the next one coming out, again?

>tfw still Holden in my early 20s

TCITR might be THE most honestly written story ever.

Catcher is the only novel I've read where I felt the protagonist had a really defined voice. Like when you meet people online and you can immediately gather their typing mannerisms and general 'Feel'. After a while you can pick them out of a crowd of text.

Sure you can do that with prose in general, but with dialogue it seems harder, a lot of characters' monologues sort of gel together, but something about Holden really stands out. Maybe it's just le 'It really was xd' meme, but either way I can't deny it's really strong characterization.

Yeah, his pov is perfectly done