What did Nietzsche mean by "God is Dead"

What did Nietzsche mean by "God is Dead"

he meant OP is a faggot

That there was never a god in the first place

He meant that he was euphoric,not because of any spooky God's blessing , but because he was enlightened by his own intelligence.

Hegel unironically said this first.

But Nietzsche meant it as something along the lines of the irrelevance of faith in a secular culture.

>Nietzsche said it ironically

He always was a kidder.

He always was a PYNCHer

If there wasn't one, there couldn't have been the death of one.

This

Hes not saying god was alive and now is dead,just that the sheepish christians no longer have faith (the kind kierkegaard strives for), and gods relevance in society is dissipating

More relevant than ever nowadays

He said, verbatim, God is dead. That event is an impossibility if God was not alive prior.

Why do niggas have so much trouble getting this?

>tfw Christianity has become the exclusive pervue of the intellectual elite

You are making the mistake of taking the quotation literally, when it was (clearly!) not intended in that way. So you can keep doubling down on the literal read all you want, and it won't win you your argument, because the consensus and context militate toward the conclusion of your own misreading.

imagine being this guy

>You are making the mistake of taking the quotation literally, when it was (clearly!) not intended in that way.
I'm not taking it literally. You aren't getting it right, in the literal or metaphorical or any level of analysis sense. The logic of your conclusion doesn't add up with what is written:

>God is dead.

Death requires there to once be life, no matter in what sense the passage is intended to be interpreted.

>has it calmly explained to him why and in what sense he's got no place to go, and the futility of doubling-down
>doubles down while ignorning the fact that to make the point that he's just made entails a literal read of the text which is his initial mistake
>doesn't realize that his concluding statement is rendered false exactly due to his misread and doubling-down

kek

You can't read, can you?

there was a new belief system, a belief in the scientific method. Christianity is a complete structure and to not believe in God is to reject the structure entirely. God being directly contradictory to the scientific method meant that more and more people would live outside of the structure of Christianity. This is not a good thing, as it would take a superhuman, a God, to live without something to worship. The result of this would be the worship of the state, which could be seen in the Soviet Union - we know how that turned out. Those who are Godless search for something to fill that void, and this truth is very dangerous. Nietzche didn't say God is dead in victory, it was in terror and regret of what we had done. the introduction of the scientific method to the masses had killed God. No longer is Christianity a complete structure.

God was alive in the sense that religion was truly relevant to society. Today, it is either a moral accessory or an ideology - the latter being what replaced it.

I didn't know it was possible to interpret Nietzche's words so literally.

It was the literary equivalent of clickbait and the book has nothing to do with the theological questions of wether or not God is dead/alive or if He exists/doesn't exist.

"Pass the butter."

>just that the sheepish christians no longer have faith
Nigga he made fun of the faithful literally all the time and thought christianity was shit when it still was relevant
>Show me someone who's more godless than me that I can learn from him
Christlarpers take one thing of him and blow it out of proportion to avoid the rest of his criticism

>God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.
>And we have killed him
Stop spreading around the fucking cut down quote that ruins the message user. We have killed him, meaning we allowed atheism and liberalism to root themselves in our society and normalize a hatred of God.

And that life is obviously large scale,relevant organised religion

He meant that the way we treat God is dead. That God no longer is an excuse for war, nor is a way of government. He meant that the moral authority of Christianity is dead - that the world will be consumed in the flames of materialism if society cannot create their own values and become, as he phrased it: übermench.

i dont think it was meant in a hatred of god, but moreso the ascension of spiritless rationality and morality over something that helped society actually develop cohesively

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

>God was alive in the sense that religion was truly relevant to society.
God =/= religion, but you have the jist of it right.

ackchyually the post

He meant actions speak louder than words on the one hand, and that church attendance guaranteed nothing on the other. What he meant was that God was dead in the heart of Western man. Note further that he preferred Islam.
>t. not a Muslim.

ITT: people who haven't read Nietzsche arguing about what one of the most context-reliant quotes in his work means

That's not what's in this thread at all projection man,