Authors you have never seen on Veeky Forums

Nietzsche called him "the most liberated spirit of all time". Laurence Sterne. I've read "A sentimental journey through France and Italy" and found it very good. Haven't read "The life and opinions of Tristam Shandy, gentleman". Have to get around to it.

Post authors that Veeky Forums never talks about.

Marx
>inb4 we talk about all the time
not THIS Marx

Arthur Schnitzler, I love his short stories and I never saw him discussed on lit. I'm not even sure I saw Zweig here, but Schnitzler is usually taken as a lesser Zweig. An austrian guy once told me that Schnitzler in Austria is more of a playwright than a storyteller, but its different here.

Conrad maybe, especially his works that aren't Heart of Darkness.

Randolph Stow. Melancholy mid-century Australian modernist that no one really ever mentions

is a meme and has been discussed to death
Is also a meme and has been discussed to death

Slataper

> is a meme
Why is that so?

You just have to trust this user over Goethe and Nietzsche when it comes to assessing Sterne.

Peter Carey, Penelope Fitzgerald....

It's been a while since I've seen a thread on Carl Mark

where my /schelling/bros at?

Tristram Shandy is...interesting. Read it in March, and while the plot is very nonlinear, I found Sterne’s style humorus at times. Uncle Toby & the theory of obsession related to him were of particular interest to me. Good luck with it OP

I don't think I've ever seen a thread on Flaubert

To be honest I don't think my English is good enough for it. I clearly can understand it if I read it with a dictionary and check out every single archaic word I stumble upon. But I had no patience to do that yet.

David Lynch comes up more than you'd expect user, Eraserhead especially so.

>Nietzsche called him
So what? Nietzsche did not know anything about literature. He thought Baudelaire, Poe, and Byron were great artists.

>He thought Baudelaire, Poe, and Byron were great artists.

Sure they are if you're no nigger.

Kek

Loud and proud Brother! Loud and Proud!

Haven't seen anyone talk much about Raymond Williams or Harold Cruse,

Tristram Shandy is great. The humor is very Veeky Forums like. Its like if Hypersphere was written in the 1700s.

Stanisław Witkiewicz

A couple months ago I was sterne posting. Tristram is easily one of my favorite books and I am excited to read A Sentimental Journey

He's name-dropped quite often but youre right, rarely a substantial thread. Most recently was an image of the cover of Salambo with the head-
>wtf was his problem?

I'm here. I surprised that there is so little discussion about him, I thought his Positive philosophy would interest more people.

Also,
A.N. Whitehead
Lev Shestov
Alasdair MacIntyre
Giacomo Leopardi
Giambattista Vico

it's not an assessment, i don't think. idk i'm not that user. but he's probably referring to sterne used be memed here a lot more as used cioran (cioran more than sterne). Veeky Forums used have a cioran posters problem like dave posting or stirner.
a lot more people had read more of sterne on Veeky Forums and he's not that rare on Veeky Forums is what i took from user's post.
he's old as shit if he remembers when they were hot memes tho. that's years ago.

pretty much any thread which mentions Italian literature will mention Leopardi

Tristram Shandy is a top five English novel. I don't see Sterne threads very often, but he's mentioned quite a bit.

Veeky Forums doesn't talk enough about Patrick O'Brian—arguably the best writer of the latter half of the twentieth-century.

Tristram Sandy is my favorite book. I tried to read At Swim-Two-Birds and didn't even finish it.

Giordano Bruno

>Sterne
Why does he use so many hyphens?

Don't think anyone on Veeky Forums has read him.

Veeky Forums never speak about the greatest of all time

Steven Millhauser, who is a genius and hybrid between the Brothers Grimm and Kafka.

Fuck yeah. Wineburg is a work of art

hes on here constantly

There are MacIntyre threads weekly.

itt: newfags who need to lurk more

I just finished reading all of his novels and was thinking of starting a thread soon. He's remarkable.

I've always had trouble with Tristram Shandy, I'm too much of a pleb for his nonsense, something like Rabelais is more my speed. I do really need a rhythm and some sort of predictability to my books, even if it is about something unusual, or the author is messing with me a little, I can push through and laugh, but Sterne is in a class of his own. I've worked my way through Ulysses, just recently GR, and other somewhat difficult works, and still haven't experienced anything like the barrier that is Tristram Shandy

pretty much anyone who isn't super well known?
Novalis, ETA Hoffmann, Tieck, Adalbert Stifter, Keller, Eichendorff, Schiller etc.ad infinitum

I've read Tristram Shandy this summer and I really loved it, but I kind of feel terrible for loving the book so much when I feel certain things got over my head since I am not well-versed in philosophy (for example, the Locke allusions I didn't recognize almost completely). I want to say it's in my top 10 of all time because of so many genius sentences, how humorous it is, its language, the structure etc, but I feel dirty and like I'm a tryhard.

Kazatzakis.

Konrad Bayer

>le deep frenchman

He was from Austria.

>Nietzsche did not know anything about literature.
Literally trained as a philologist.
>He thought Baudelaire, Poe, and Byron were great artists.
So he was right?

Philology doesn't train you to have an artistic, clown. And of course they're all three children's writers, which matches them up well with Nietzsche, who always remained a large child.

Source on him having read Poe?

I love sterne. Researching Shandy for the past year for my MA thesis has been like making a friend. I love that book. It's not, or shouldn't be a meme.

do you realize you sound like a fucking idiot?

2/10 you can do better than this

Seconding this guy. Also I rarely see Mailer discussed on here. Tom Wolfe’s journalism is rarely brought up (unless I do it)

Not an argument

This baby-faced bastard

Has anyone here ever heard of a Joseph Goebbels?

not funny

>Arguably the greatest living writer with a contrarian, patrician worldview that Veeky Forums would love
> Veeky Forums keeps jerking off DFW and Faulkner

This is profoundly disturbing

fuck me that's an amazing photo. how would one get a photo like this?

Right-click, save as.

nie mówi się o nim nawet w Polsce, a oczekujesz, żeby był dyskutowany na anglojęzycznym image boardzie?

but why feed the troll? just ingnore them and they go away

the best 'discussion' here is usually on Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings. Theyre the only books anyone has really read. Everything else is just 'thats meme' or 'this is better than this is better than this' pissing contests.

I actually bring him up whenever I can but most of the time no one replies.

He's on some of the Veeky Forumscore charts though, so I dunno.

I'm so sorry for non-Frenchies