Has anyone read the Legend of the Galactic Heroes novels?

Has anyone read the Legend of the Galactic Heroes novels?
I finished the anime recently and was wondering if the books are worth reading, since a major part of what I enjoyed was the visuals and aesthetics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lXEm5aaWHgI
youtube.com/watch?v=IZkfgTM-_fE&list=PL8x1xWMgYM_HY_yhmufRFl8OzjLn7pXPy&index=25
youtube.com/watch?v=bEjJBZwuxDI
youtube.com/watch?v=BHn-EJtYwd8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I assume it would be better without the retarded ass anticlimactic classical music but I only watched one episode so what do I know?

Not much, keep watching

Yes.
They will release a remastered anime next year by the way.
youtube.com/watch?v=lXEm5aaWHgI

anime is fucking degenerate
are there any shows where the characters actually have more than three facial expressions?
the lack of information given by facial movements is literally why autistic people love japanese cartoons because god forbid they ever learn how to read body language or understand WHY acting is considered an artform

I've read the first book but the translation seems dry and uninteresting in some areas what I did like was all the information on the historical side of stuff like Goldenbaum's rise to power and his war with the FPA, those were fantastic. I've got books two and three but I haven't read them yet, I've flipped through them but the translation seems a little better compared to the first one.

Appalling.
Why is modern anime aesthetics so garbage?

Digital switch over was the end of the 80s and 90s aesthetic but at least GITS:SAC and Mushishi didn't look like total shit. This is why manga will always be superior to anime

There are several art forms, several mediums, and there are Strong points and weak points to all of them. One example: theater X movies. A Shakespearean play depends heavily on language, and, on screen, the audience is not as willing to listen as in a theater. The consequence is that even the greatest movie scripts don’t offer the same richness of poetry that a Shakespeare play contains, although it can do much more with the images and close ups and especial effects etc. So in drama the language can be much more demanding and inventive than in the screen, yet the screen has many other favorable points that aren’t available even to the best theatrical companies.

Legend of The Galactic Heroes is a great work of art. It is as satisfying as any of the great TV series: there is a lot of time for character development, and after a while you feel as if you actually knew those people, as if they were part of your life.

If you give Legend of The Galactic Heroes a chance, I really think you will not be disappointed.

Are you retarded? I'm not going to bother explaining this board was created for anime fans to discuss literature and you should get out if you think it's degenerate, but whether you like anime or not, you should be intelligent enough to admit one of the things it gets right is the extreme variety of facial expressions. Because it is cartoonish, and because some facial features (like the size of the eyes and the overall head) are exaggerated, anime's facial expressions are some of the richest in all art mediums, expressing a wide variety of emotions, feelings etc. This variety of facial expressions has always been one of the defining aspects of Japanese art. So if anyone is autistic that would be you for you fail to absorb what the many faces of anime express.

Parts of it. It's good. But I found it more linear, meaning that the anime starts right in the middle of a battle, while in the books you get a nice introduction to the political situation in the logh universe and how it came to be.

>since a major part of what I enjoyed was the visuals and aesthetics
Well, I watched it for the plot.

I liked the classical music.

There are some events moved around, like the history episode detailing Rudolf's rise to power was the very beginning of the first book and like episode 40 in the anime.

BTW, it's on humble bundle DRM-free for $20, or Libgen for $0.

Also Merkatz is with the FPA from the start rather than changing over during battle and Yang and Julian are at the dome I think where Jessica Edwards was beaten by the PKA.

>replying to someone who unironically uses the word "degenerate"

>retarded ass anticlimactic classical music

This is a surprisingly accurate description of how music is used in the context of the series. If I recall correctly, the producers managed to get the license to use a bunch of public domain classical records for free, as everything else they wanted to use otherwise would have forced them to pay royalties.

So they took what they could and just dumped it into the series to act as a kind of regal feeling background music. Of course, because it is treated as background music, no care is taken to follow its development or resolution or have that match up in any way with the dramatic goings on on screen. This is, actually, retarding and anti-climactic, regardless of the quality of the actual compositions.

>space opera
absolute trash

First off, just read war and peace. stop being a pleb.
I hope you're trolling, if you genuinely believe the majority of people on Veeky Forums come here from /a/ or whatever, you're an insane person. most of these people can't give two shits about anime and don't come here for that and never came here for that, to imply that this website is the same beast as it was when it was created is utter blindness and possibly stupidity. If you want to discuss an anime book series, go to where they discuss that. This place shits on you types constantly, and for good reason, a seemingly entitled sense to inject yourself where you don't belong, and you push out anything that isn't your interest. if this place were for manga, it would say that shit at the top of the board, now wouldn't it? you don't go to the fucking literature section in a library looking for graphic novels. just fuck off.

t. reddit

so it was bait. well that's a relief, i'm glad people aren't that fucking stupid.

you are still posting in an anime website
faggot

sure thing, buddy, and facebook is a harvard exclusive website.

in fact, you can't access part of the site unless you connect from our network

in the immortal words of my great grandmother, god rest her soul, "um urruh"
which implies a thought caught in the gullet of the brain. anyway, Veeky Forums is not for anime. go fuck yourself.
>weeb calls me a faggot
the bitter truth attacks you from within, don't it?
>muh facial expressions are unparalleled
yes, your emojis are compelling in a way no author could ever portray, my man. keep telling yourself that while you take your cartoons seriously.

Facial expressions are considered extremely rude in Asia.

This is how it will look and sound? I guess they have to do something different, but it looks terrible.

The translation is pretty poor. It is okay by LN translation standards but if you only usually read lit tier translations it will be hard to get through. You also need to get used to the differently translated names, depending on which subs you watched. I haven't actually read the fourth novel yet which had a new translator, so I can't comment on if it is an improvement or not.

The visuals in LOGH were pretty weak though

>those seiyuu

dropped

When people say LOGH is ASOIAF in space, are they being serious?

Probably, but only because they are normies with little else to compare it to. It's not anything like ASOIAF, it's just historical warfare but in space with quite a few homo undertones

What is that series of galactic space novels that only started seeing English translations in the past few years?

I dont think so. Just one example:

youtube.com/watch?v=IZkfgTM-_fE&list=PL8x1xWMgYM_HY_yhmufRFl8OzjLn7pXPy&index=25

The music not only suits very well the impression f the immensity of the dark universe, but also – with its crescendo – the gradual emergence and revelation of an enormous fleet of spacecraft’s.

It also gives the dark and tragic overtones of what will happen in the near future.

>youtube.com/watch?v=IZkfgTM-_fE&list=PL8x1xWMgYM_HY_yhmufRFl8OzjLn7pXPy&index=25

I forget to say: I referinfo to the song of Dvorak that plays long in the beginning of the episode, that makes the accompaniment of its first scene.

>The history of the universe is told in the introduction
>Yang's upbringing, his relationship with his father, and his time at the academy are told in the first chapter
>Also how Yang became the "Hero of El Facil"
>Yang and Julian attend to Astarte memorial service
>Dusty Attenborough is noticeably absent in the first 2 books

I mean, is the translation actually poor, or is the writing just not good to begin with?

I thought the novels would have more depth than the OVA, but it's pretty trite. You're not missing anything if you just stick to the OVA.

Pretty sure it is actually the one this thread is about.

bump

So where do I start with Veeky Forums science fiction? How about Veeky Forums weeb science fiction?

I don't see the point. The anime is already pretty faithful and the novels aren't written well. You're not going to get much of them. They aren't even all translated, and many projects of this kind get left unfinished often

I read the first two books
(you can get the first 3 in the current Humble Bundle for $20 along with a bunch of other Japanese SF)

They are alright, I guess? They don't differ much from the anime, the language isn't special in any way, it's still fun to read if you don't look for too much (it's a far cry from more 'dense' series like GOT, for example, only two characters are every truly developed).

Humble Bundles are for vidya games. Nice b8

I'd say it's just advertisement for when the anime remake premiers next year, that's all really but I do like the amount of source material for retro manga being released in the west lately. We're even getting Devil Man in English somehow next year too.

I would say it's more closer to War & Peace than ASOIAF.

Is Yang /ourguy/?

youtube.com/watch?v=bEjJBZwuxDI

youtube.com/watch?v=BHn-EJtYwd8

This, I picked up W&P the other day and what german is to LOGH, French is the same to W&P.

>cg
>this kills the interest

There are many more things that kill the interest.
Like their un-soldierly posture.

Looks like shit but I will watch it anyway, fuck

this