ITT: criminally underrated philosophers

>His work include Aristotelian and islamic philosophy, theology, logic, mathematics, physics, medicine, astronomy, politics, law, geography, music
>His commentaries were crucial for Europeans to understand some of Aristotle and Plato's work
>Had a comical beef with Al-ghazali, responding to his book: The incoherence of philosophers with The incoherence of incoherence
>Has his own plant
>Has his own lunar crator
Islamic polymaths were vital in the process of understanding the achievements of the greeks, and they had their own contributions to many subject of scientific value, namely medicine, astronomy, philosophy and mathematics and pseudo-scientific subjects like Alchemy and divine mechanics.
Is there a reason why they are always absent when discussing philosophy?

Picture unrelated. You don't know what you're talking about.

Elaborate, no need to post like an edgy teenager.

>Non-Western philosophy

Averroes was very popular in the west, though.
He had his own movement in the west, Averroism which discussed his work, and consequently the work of artistotle, this was vital in paving the way to the renaissance.
His work in reconciling between religion and philosophy, and between God and doubt of God is unmatched.
Your arguement is lacking.

Islamic scholars preserved classical knowledge when Europe was in the depths of the dark ages...but still its the Classical knowledge thats 'the thing'...

So, all the work of muslim scholars added nothing to the work of ancient greeks?
Greeks sucked at medicine, astronomy, but I'm not exactly sure about philosophy, islamic philosphy often discussed theology, which I assume is what differentiates it from western philosophy.

The Muslims never evolved because they continued to have recourse to the Gods for every phenomenon that they encountered, whereas even the very first Greek philosophers understood that a Pantheon of gods is retarded.

So their religious identity itself put a halt to their philosophical efforts? That's pretty sad.
I've read that later, and with the rise of Al-Ghazali's opinions on science, philosphy almost became heretical within their ranks.
It's sad to see that eastern philosophy never matching it's western counterpart, it would've been a sight to behold.

>dark ages
Leave.

And they found those texts in christian parts of the roman empire they conquered?So how were they lost?

t. brainlet
Read Mulla Sadra

I've never understood this meme of denying one of the most well-documented and historically accurate periods of fanatical in European history.
Were the torture chambers and tools, the documented witch hunting and burning, and the literal burning of scientist not enough for you? "dark" is a big word, but feudal Europe sucked.
I dunno how to tell you this, Mr.goodly Christian, but Europeans after the fall of the Roman empire were too retarded to translate and/or understand the work of the ancient greeks.
They used the commentaries of many muslim scholars.
Will do, how the fuck did I miss this guy.

Torture happened in ancient times, what's your point? Denying it was a period of inquiry is absurd. Islamic fanaticism banished Averroes and burned his works. Religious fanaticism seems to be common during the Middle Ages.

Also Middle East≠eastern

>astronomy
Are you illiterate or just baiting?

you

Strauss, in certain corners. Unamuno by homo-suicide teens.
Stanley Rosen.

Plotinus

Fight me. To the death. I'm even writing a musical about him.

sup ignatius?

>but Europeans after the fall of the Roman empire were too retarded to translate and/or understand the work of the ancient greeks.
>not knowing an academic language makes you retarded
I don't know Hebrew or Aramaic or Sanskrit but I'm sure not retarded. You, on the other hand...

Donald Davidson, McDowell, other post-Witty analytics

>Is there a reason why they are always absent when discussing philosophy?
he isn't
he is in every philosophy college studies that I know of

>I dunno how to tell you this, Mr.goodly Christian, but Europeans after the fall of the Roman empire were too retarded to translate and/or understand the work of the ancient greeks.
>They used the commentaries of many muslim scholars.

Reminder that Muslims themselves were too retarded to do the translations. It was sassanid elites and sassanid culture that allowed for storing and translation of libraries. When the sassanid's were taken over, the arab elites allowed them to continue their library traditions in order to keep parts of sassanid culture. Muslim culture literally have to steal and conquer shit to get anything done.

I'd say that's mostly contingent on where you are. I know some lost-their-jackoff-virginity-to-quine types who love those dudes.
That being said 'continental' dudes and flatulent, Frankfurt School, would be axel honneth motherfuckers don't read analytic.

>look up Sassanid on wikipedia
>The Sasanians' cultural influence extended far beyond the empire's territorial borders, reaching as far as Western Europe,[20] Africa,[21] China and India.[22] It played a prominent role in the formation of both European and Asian medieval art.[23] Much of what later became known as Islamic culture in art, architecture, music and other subject matter was transferred from the Sasanians throughout the Muslim world.[24]

Damn, I did not know this. Why does the education system say the exact opposite?

>the entirety of alleged muslim high culture is stolen from another culture

LOL

>"transferred"

wikipedia nerd editors with the nice pc euphemisms

Now let me see.
These names are overlooked, belayed, and to the layman; unheard-of, they aren't seen as part of the "great philosophers", they are but footnotes.
>T. Underrated.
>Cicero (known and famous historically, now he's just history)
>Canetti
>Alasdair
>Byron
>Mencius
>Spengler
>Bertrand De Jouvenel
>Michelstaedter, Carlo
>Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn
>Edward O. Wilson
>Emil M. Cioran
>Rummel, R.J.
>Giordano Bruno
>>>Montaigne
>Robert Burton

Paul Tillich

He was wrong in almost every conceivable way, but his writings are entertaining. Sometimes it is even hard to accept he was being serious about the shit he wrote, but I guess no one would be willing to burn for a joke.
Anyone who likes shit like Borges should read him.

Forgot the pic

I've seen this image a lot and I can't tell if it's supposed to mean that the poster thinks everything Plato says is right or that Plato thinks everything Plato says is right?

Witch hunts were a late Renaissance thing. Torture still exists in large quantity (Guantanamo is but one). The Romans used to torture people in public sport...

t. damage controlling cathocuck

>well documented
>dark ages
You *literally* couldn't be more wrong

Averros was quite popular with the Catholics, he's the Commentator for Aquinas and his understanding of Aristote was formidable. The problem Catholics had was mostly with the world soul.

go back to Pol you have no idea what you're talking about idiot

Is he holding a dumbbell?

Yes and the sassanids inherited these things from earlier rulers. These things had been part of the middle east for thousands of years already and the Muslims continued that legacy. Am i missing something here or are you a moron?

don't post pictures of things like that

Avveroes was THE greatest philosopher of the entire medevil period.

He was pretty much the only one that was NOT BTFO by Spinoza. Spinoza basically took the basic, primitive concepts Avveroes had and brought them up to Ubermench levels.

Yep. Avveroes was it's inventor.

I've made a typo, I meant to say one of the most well-documented periods of religious fanaticism in Europe, there are hundred of paintings depicting things like torture, and witch burning, these things were more common in the """dark ages""" in comparison to other periods, you're right, we do not know enough about this period, since we lost many documents, it's a period lost to historians, but literally everything we know is terrifying, 100 pages long records of people accused of witch craft in Scotland.
I've personally seen it used when a person says an extremely vague statement, or simple ad hominem.
Muslims, especially ethnic arabs, were never really into anything beyond poetry when it came to literature, seeking scientific discovery isn't their thing. Also, most of the work done in that period was by persians, north Africans and arabised spaniards.

based

he was literally pic related
that turban just kept his big brain warm

>Greeks sucked at medicine, astronomy
lmao, what? You can't be serious.

So, his important works is commentaries about other philosophers works and some muslim religion related stuff? Were the latter even philosophical?
I'm asking because I'm curious, I'm not being sarcastic.

You fucking get it! My dude! It's great they're (maybe northwestern university press?) Rereleasing his stuff!

le ebin cartoon dark ages
turkey legs and fat kingz torturing ppl xD

>but I'm sure not retarded

Almost all great Muslim scholars, philosophers and religious teachers were of Persian or Berber (ie Aryan) descent: Bayazid Bastami, Ibn Arabi, Junayd of Baghdad, Al-Ghazali, Suhrawardi, Mulla Sadra, Avicenna, Al-Farabi, al-Din Tusi, Ibn Hazm etc. Blood, not religion, is the main factor.

>Almost all great Muslim scholars
>great
oh my sides

>Am i missing something here or are you a moron?

You are missing the fact it was responding to a direct claim that has nothing to do with your preceding sentences. Stating there is a historical chain of inheritance is a truism. No one is debating that. The implicature made by the above user was that there was a direct jump from Hellenistic literature to Muslims to the European medievals. And that they were solely responsible for that link with a level of qualitative brilliance in translation. As if somehow the major causal factor in all the cultural transmission was Islam. That's exactly what he implies. When in reality, the core link -- a core transmission link in pretty much all of "Muslim" culture -- was Sassanid culture and continued by "Muslim" philosophers who were mostly ethno-culturally Persian. The whole "Islam brought us western philosophy" is a meme, parroted by either reddit prog soyboys or unibrow inbred snackbars. You know how you smug late night TV comedy watching dudes like to say "'it's a little bit more nuanced than that"? Well that is what is happening here.

Now you arrogant moron, don't you have to go write some apologetic for running down a bunch of children with a truck somewhere?

But the roman empire didnt fall until the ottomans (in the context of storing vital texts).

>well-documented
By ideologues.
>historically accurate
History cannot be accurate, it's narrativization.
>paintings are documentation
Delusion

*laughs in tradition*

Spengler, Byron and Cioran aren't so overlooked. I've gotten interested in Cicero recently, and I'll probably get to Mengzi once I got sometime and shill him if I find something good.

I had no idea they were rereleasing McKeon's works. That's good to hear. I would assume that it would be University of Chicago press, though; most of the works of his I have came from them (which makes sense, given that that's where he taught).

It's the Professor from Sliders, a show that manages to be terrible and underrated at the same time.

I always took it to be the latter

>His work in reconciling between religion and philosophy, and between God and doubt of God is unmatched.

Could somebody please expand on this?

every Catholic should know this man

The muslims never evolved because the converted african countries like sudan and somalia and interbred with them. No civilization has ever survived a browning or the heavy intake of inferior blood.

>Edward O. Wilson

My nigga, sociobiology should be the only sociology.

Another overlooked favorite it's Pascal Blaise

Al-Arabi wasn't Arab

who also "stole" it from a previous culture who also "transferred" it from an even previous(er) culture.