Story without conflict?

Life itself does not follow a narrative, so should our stories? What about a novel about a guy that lives his life and then dies? No more drama than a normal life, and no more conflict than the average person goes through. Like the biography and memoirs of a fictional character. Would it just be boring slop?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.tewaters.com/2013/01/on-narrative-structure-kishotenketsu.html
youtube.com/watch?v=JHVqxD8PNq8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The death of Ivan Ilych

The whole point of a story is having something to tell.

Damn, this womanlet has some thick, smooth thighs. O! Why must you torment me so?

Looking this up
A life is a collection of stories. I'm picturing a story with many small conflicts and plot lines and many, many characters that come in and out of the main characters life. Maybe even parts told from another normal perspective.

Proust

That cross tattoo is so fucking vulgar

Is this /legs/?

The Tale of Genji. I think Japanese stuff in general might have that down-to-earth feeling you're talking about.

Ivan Ilych very much has a narrative and a conflict though, it's more of a case study of the malaises of 19th century bureaucratic life than a regular life. Still amazing nonetheless.

Except shes always been a rake.

One can dream of a thicc, HayleyPrime of the mid to late 2000s though. One can dream...

Your life can be dissected into a series of overlapping stories. Your love life follows a narrative. Friendships. Jobs. Any Interaction With The World has a beginning middle and end. Life is a big ass pile of narratives.

Stoner is kind of like that but the drama is exaggerated even if its "normal"

Fucking /thread/

But life is conflict.

The more you study the more you'll realize conflict is an essential factor of narrative, some just pronounce it more than others. That even applies to your chill slice of life stuff.

You can say the kishotenketsu form dosent use conflict, but it does, just in a way we Westerners aren't typically used to.

>You can say the kishotenketsu form dosent use conflict, but it does, just in a way we Westerners aren't typically used to.
How so?

Tattoos make women disgusting

Replying because I have the same question: how?

Women are inherently disgusting.

Consider how the form works.

>Ki - Opening
>Sho - Development
>Ten - Twist
>Ketsu - Resolution

The first two points introduce you to the basic parameters of the scenario like any story. But then the Twist comes, and, like our Western "inciting incident" it generates a shock that creates intrigue. And the Resolution in turn reveals the synthesis of these two seemingly jarring elements; just like our Climax and Denoument.

Western dramatic form makes its point through protracted conflict between opposing forces, while Kishotenketsu makes its point through shifting context. But that shifting can only occur by challenging your perception of the scene at hand, which by all reason is a conflict, but very indirect.

blog.tewaters.com/2013/01/on-narrative-structure-kishotenketsu.html

The example on this site (scroll a bit) is a VERY good look at how it works in lyrical/poetry form, whereas pic related is the form as it's usually found in a 4koma.

This form is god tier for flash fictions, but for longer works I personally found the usual western dramatic form more practical. However, I've heard that Miyazaki's (Ghibli) movies apply this form pretty well, but I've yet to study them hands on.

Also for you gamers out there, Drakengard/Nier's weapons stories also apply this form. Some are meh, others are really good.

Every life is conflict. At its core, life is the world of personal experience coming in conflict with the world of shared experience, conquering and categorising/conceptualising it or being conquered and adapting its systems of semiotic mediation accoring to new rule.

>that shifting can only occur by challenging your perception of the scene at hand, which by all reason is a conflict
Is it? It seems to me it's just presentation of new information on a large scale.

If shifting context in itself is conflict, then isn't any movement at all conflict? It seems to me that conflict requires an explicit contradiction or contesting which by its own nature must come to a resolution. I guess you could say the twist is a sort of contradiction, but there isn't something that necessarily has to link it to the previous scenes (at least until the resolution), is there?

>I guess you could say the twist is a sort of contradiction, but there isn't something that necessarily has to link it to the previous scenes (at least until the resolution), is there?

I've noticed the best stories using the KSTK form do have their twists totally re-frame what the first to points built up, and then its all settled in the resolution. Thats what makes the twist effective to begin with. If it's completely non-sequitur then you lose much of the potential impact.

Your opinions are what is disgusting. I bet you don't talk like that in real life

Of course I don't talk like that in real life, women are childish and won't accept what they really are, and the men that want to get inside their pants are ready to beat up anyone who opposes them, so why bother? All I'd get out of it would be trouble. And considering I'm one of those men that want to get inside those dirty two-mouths, there's even less of a reason to do it. Better for them to think me getting played by them by playing with them, isn't really me playing with them by playing at being played by playing with them.

Have you ever come across a story without some form of physical, spiritual or mental conflict? That's because they're fucking tedious and offer no real substance.

I'm open to being disproven about this, but just because a story's conflict isn't a typical antagonist doesn't mean there isn't conflict there. Conflict drives your narrative.

Ever consider you just have a lot of insecurity?

He's not a mentally infantile man child who never realized that cooties aren't real, he's red pilled. Because that's what that matrix is all about, reactionary hugboxes for white men who are scared of change.

Man in the holocene

This is what you're looking for

>Better for them to think me getting played by them by playing with them, isn't really me playing with them by playing at being played by playing with them.

Ever consider you're incapable of detecting irony?

Oh wow I just watched this movie

youtube.com/watch?v=JHVqxD8PNq8

>mfw tattooed women are almost always better lays than non-tattooed women