What are your thoughts on 1984?

What are your thoughts on 1984?

should've been more like Feed

It's a book written by a human being on the planet earth, what else do you want to know?

Good read, but overrated. Soured by over-politicization/mass-misinterpretation.

It is really good. The second half really made me think

one half of the coin. brave new world is the other half.
most likely only one will appeal to you.
i preferred animal farm anyway.

This

But Brave New World doesn't have the same cover design heft.

That Penguin edition 1984 with the printing blacked out but it's still debossed, hot diggety daffodil.

Makes me hot for words.

they should just use a baby orgy as the cover art for brave new world, that'd be plenty of heft

before trump was elected it was fiction, now it becomed non fiction

ebin

It is a book, consisting of pages with letters printed on the pages with some kind of ink.

Shitty fanfiction of We. I hate Orwell for the single reason that 1984 is more popular than We.

Wrong.

i related to the spite filled sexual tension for julia in the beginning of the book.

We is dogshit stop being a contrarian

The only reason it has ANY popularity is because it was the first true dystopian novel of its kind but the narrative just sucks and the book doesn't have the subtelties of brave new world or the interesting concepts of 1984

I was memed into reading it and strongly regret it

It wasn't supposed to be a guide!

It has nice worldbuilding and an explanation of how the world is that way. The plot however, is mediocre. Absolutely no idea what he had in mind with the dream sequences and the "we will meet where there is light."

Decent year for Port. The book is good too.

Haven't read it in years but it's good. Really enjoyed the first half. Brave New World was much more of a slog to get through, but both have interesting ideas.

Quoted a lot for the wrong reasons by people who haven't read it, but good read

This. It pisses me off to no end when people compare slang to "new speak."

if you were an idiot and bought in to the party propaganda it would probably be a pretty good life

You would survive but there would be no pleasure. There's no sex, basically no entertainment, and even though there's constant war (if that's true), you can't even celebrate victories because the war never ends.

Earthly pleasure is sinful, comrade

Or 'double speak', which isn't even in the book

that's no different from real life though

but it is

Read it quite a while ago. I distinctly remember thinking of the book less as a continuous narrative and more of a collection of bits that yell THIS IS WHAT COULD HAPPEN WATCH OUT. Like, not all of it has to happen simultaneously but distinct elements might appear in society.
I don't know if it's overrated or anything but it's definitely required reading in my opinion desu