Just finished first part. Definitely not worth it

what the fuck man

What makes you say that, OP? For me the book was consistently fascinating and engaging.

Look, if someone had told me "this is a good book from 17 century" I'd have said "Ok, I get it", because it has the "independent" woman (grisóstomos' part I think), the funny scenes Sancho shitting in the forest was hilarious, the great discourses (weapons vs letters and history vs art were really good)... but for the most part this was a slog and a chore, I lasted 15 days in reading it (and I had to force myself to read, this doesn't happen often), usually the classics "contribute" something to my worldview, but this... I don't know, I've heard the second part is a lot better, but judging by my experience that still would be shit.
PD: Non native speaker and I read it in spanish (I'm from spain), so I hope you can understand what I say.

I don't know, a lot of events were just boring, and I did not enjoy the "novels".

It's definitely not a bad book, just very long and repetitive.

it's for children. you're probably just too old to get anything out of it.

I found the end of Part I to be the most tedious. Part II is genuinely much better. Keep going OP

> Don Quixote is bad waaaah

People disgust me.

Veeky Forums is full of pseuds, this level of faggotry doesn't surprise me one bit.

I did not continue past the first part. I found it incredibly boring except for the occasional funny bit. It just felt very repetitive. I think the translation might be partially to blame because it was some old paperback. Someday I would like to give it another go because more clever people than I say it's GOAT.

>I think the translation might be partially to blame

Nope, not so much as your lack of perseverance. Your loss

OP
Okay, I'll do it in the future.
But it was boring and vapid. What can you say in favour of part I (indeed, I made this thread to receive this kind of answer). Remember Don quixote is compound by two books (and please, don't make me explain that) so don't talk about the whole ouvre (unless you're going to say something like "read the whole book, it's worth it" or something like that) to argue with me.

not the same guy, but translations can make all the difference.
Also, never skip introductions and notes from translator

i said it was for children, not that it was bad. i loved the book when i was a young man. not nearly as much as an adult.

>Also, never skip introductions
what? always skip, read them at the end if you want, they'll just tell you garbage and tell you what you are about to read and what you should think about it

> and notes from translator
that's ok

Sorry, I don't enjoy gagging on Moorish cock as much as you do.

The best description re: Don Quixote I ever heard was that it's a novel that will wait until you are ready to read it.

>what you should think about it
They don’t tell you what to think of it. Introductions are written by people who are very knowledgable about the subject discussed. They help you understand why some things in the book are written in the way they are (usually with some relevance to historic or personal background). It’s far from indoctrination.
I hope you’re not one of those people who judge books by today’s standards.

Pégate un tiro

Increíble defensa del quijote.

increíble hijo de la gran puta maricón

As if a defense of this masterpiece was necessary

Not a big deal, move one. I suggest try rereading it later in life, you might change your perspective.

Bueno gente, que la primera parte del quijote es una mierda digáis lo que digáis.

It's good but theres a lot of boring slog in it. I really think the only reason it justifies being as long as it is is so it feels like an epic journey. I found that random story they find that gets told in its entirety and then never has any relevance to anything pretty annoying.

I never found it funny.

I haven't read it yet, but you need to put things in historical perspective, OP.

¿No pillaste los juegos de palabras y la ironía sobre el carácter español?

Plebs: The Thread

It's not a comedy.

Not gonna lie, I didn't think it was that good either. I don't regret reading it and I still got something out of it but I wasn't amazed by it.

Things I enjoyed:
>didn't read it in Spanish but kudos to the translator for the truly beautiful turns of phrase and for some truly solid burns that made me kek out loud
>the metafiction aspect of it; a plothole that I had noticed in the first part actually being adressed by the characters in the second part was a fun surprise
>some pretty fun adventures

Things I disliked:
>does get repetitive and boring at times
>huge digressions that aren't that interesting
>Quijote and Sancho were surprisingly unlikable
>most plotlines solved by complete coincidences or deus ex machinas
>was expecting his death to be more feelsy but it just kind of happened abruptly

I agree, especially about the ending. 1000 pages and then he just drops dead suddenly for no reason.