The Idiot

>The Idiot
>he's actually really smart

>Notes from Underground
>he's not actually a moleman

The characters do look and judge most things very superficially, and are always scheming to advance their lot. Myshkin doesn't want anything to do with that, and so is looked upon as an idiot.

>Infinite Jest
>book actually ends

>The House of the Dead
>characters aren't dead

>Les Miserables
>characters actually get more miserable as the story continues

>House of Leaves
>it's just some gay ass house

>Catch-22
>Emmitt Smith isn't even in the book

>Leaves of Grass
>It's paper

>I Am A Cat
>He's actually a cat

>thread about titles being "misleading"
>posts about titles that aren't

>user is somehow more of a faggot than OP

>Dick amo
>they dont ship in tnno pbop

>Brave New World
>everyone's a pussy

>King James Bible
>was actually written by over a dozen men

*including Shakespeare

An 'idiot' does not mean a 'stupid' person, but someone antisocial.

> Lonesome Dove
>not about a lonely dove looking for a mate

Idiot literally means stupid person, according to several dictionaries. I checked.

> English

etymologically, english 'idiot' implying stupidity, is related to the greek 'idios' meaning (overly) personal or possessive, with the implication being that a particular person is stupid in the sense of being debilitatingly solipsistic, of not being able to conceive or account for the existence of others, differentiable minds outside of their own individual projection; a person who is 'all in their own world', practically incapable of genuine dialogue, the slobbering fool etc

I always thought this was a precise description of Myshkin. He isn't stupid in the sense of being a dullard, and while lucid, he is well overly attentive to the concerns of others- but in such a way that is he is not able to really conceive how others will interpret his actions, nor recognize how they understand and become in the world (giving everyone too much credit, easily taken advantage of etc), and expects the society normies in his vicinity to accept and support the eschatological imperatives he puts forward- 'idios' in the metaphorical sense of innocent solipsism brought on by social isolation; acute naivety. Then after his degeneration, he again becomes the slobbering half wit that is closer to the literal 'idios': material, neurological impairment.

>idiotes
>not idiot
>6th definition says idiot
you're a fucking moron.

Didn't he have huge trouble getting his ideas across, being ridiculed and slandered for talking about a better world he himself could only picture as a distant dream?

>Of Human Bondage
>not a single reference to BDSM in 600 pages

> Genesis
> No mention of either Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel!

>American Psycho
>he's really a high functioning sociopath

really makes me think

Yesh. It might be hard to understand but words can have several meanings and the meaning might change.

if this is even a half decent interpretation, then i need to read this book TODAY

>The Outsider
>goes inside a jail