Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

Who will get the Noble this time?

Other urls found in this thread:

bustle.com/p/betting-for-the-nobel-prize-in-literature-2017-show-that-ngugi-wa-thiongo-is-most-favored-to-win-2465427
newsweek.com/2013/11/08/lush-life-william-t-vollmann-243896.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's going to be determined by whoever can come up with the funniest joke about drumpf

Whoever writes the late night comedian's scripts

Calling it now:

Ngugi Wa Thiong'o

I was right about Svetlana Alexievich so you might as well believe me.

Probably some ooga booga anglo nigger rapper.

obviously Rupi "I was one salty museum" Kaur. without a single doubt in my mind.

this is gold

William T Vollmann

roth is still alive

not murukami

>giving it to V, someone who actually deserves it
Ha. It's goin to Kanye and you know it.

Not him, but I'd be happy if Kanye won the Nobel.
He's a good artist imo, probably the only worthy modern rapper.

i would be happy if he won as well, it would at least dismantle the pressure of winning a nobel, as the artifice will have crumbled well before i had the ability to succeed in acquiring the prize.

Trump for his Twitter mesage

>roth
Not this year.They dont like to give Nobel to the same country two years in a row.

I can not comprehend why anyone here would give a single flying fuck after Bob Dylan won last year.

Billy Joel or Shakira

Eminem

Chester Bennington posthumously

I too wonder who the (((Swedish Academy))) will tell me to respect this year. I hope I can buy their book and regurgitate their ideology like a farm animal waiting to be fed!

>edggyyyyy

Just give it to Pyncherino already

this is the correct answer.

I cheated - last time Alexievich had the best odds of winning on most online betting pages, it's the same for Ngugi Wa Thiong'o this time around

Nas

Anyone here read her books, specifically the Chernobyl one? Looks cool.

Henning Mankell

Please stop. Your rambling only makes me like Jews even more out of spite.

Yoko Ogawa
And I mean it

>novels that are not very long (which is a trend: Modiano, Alexevitch [journalist lol], Munro, Dylan
>Woman
>Good writer actually
>From outside Europe/US
>she got every possible prize in her yellow country

>online betting pages
link pls

You fool! tat is exactly what the false flagger is trying to achieve!

Me. It's been a long time coming. Also, I am not white. [I also like to cook pasta.]

Ladies first, Murakami-senpai

No idea, but I guarantee they won't be a native Brit or have an Anglo name.

Somebody Muslim is my bet.

He definitely deserves it and has for years.

Boualem Sansal
for the novel "2084" about the islamic dystopia (and when I say dystopia he really criticizes it)
he is very succesful in France and in Maghreb

>Murakami
>Deserving of anything
>Let alone a Nobel

Pynchon

>Just transposing Islam onto Orwell's 1984

Seems kind of hacky desu. At least Houellebecq's novel had some nuance

I read Voices from Chernobyl and Secondhand Time (about what happened to 'normal Russians' during and after the fall of the USSR)

Both are absolutely great, but be aware that the structure isn't everybody's cup of tea. It's essentially many mini-interviews followed by 'scenes' like with a Greek drama's choir. It gives you a really good insight into what actually happened (and it's so depressing). I'd recommend if you're into history, but again, the structure doesn't make it really feel like novels, more like experimental non-fiction.

Veeky Forums won't let me post betting pages, but here's some magazine's summary with links: bustle.com/p/betting-for-the-nobel-prize-in-literature-2017-show-that-ngugi-wa-thiongo-is-most-favored-to-win-2465427

Why does he deserve it? He's an average author who appeals to low-brow audiences.

>n near-future Abistan, where history has been eradicated and other cultures banned, Ati finds cracks in the world constructed by the prophet Abi and the rulers, the Just Brotherhood. He and a friend, Koa, investigate the legitimacy of the government and religion.

Maybe price for 'most typical YA dystopia'

Huehuehuehuellebec

>Atwood
b..but Munro, another Canadian. Who else, Nancy Huston? lol, fucking no. Canada shouldn't win another Nobel Prize in next 20 years.

Been a while since I saw the brow meme here.

Murakami deserves it but I don't feel like this is his year. Pynchon would be a cool choice, so it'll probably go to someone nobody's heard of but """high brow."""

YA dystopia that got awarded Grand Prix de l'Academie Francaise? I don;t think so.
>young men in books
"Golden Droplet" by Tournier is also Youn Adult, you idiot?

if she wins I will kill myself

>literally appealing to authority, a French one at that

Also nice redirect, I said the story is a typical YA cliche with muslims added (so relevant and topical!!!11!) borrowed from Hunger Games and Maze Runner

Read it first. Not only the description.
Then comment.

No

I forgot where we are. That's OK :)

OK :)

>Magris
Noice, my greek/latin prof in high school said he was one of her favourite writers, but i haven't checked him out yet.
It has also been a while since an Italian won the prize (and the last one who won it was a complete hack) .

You didn't say why he deserves it. Nobel winners in literature do more than write 'good books'.

when the Nobel gets announced you all have a surprise lol

Veeky Forums

Does anyone here actually care who wins?

Murakami winning is the same as Steven King winning.

√'d em

>not wanting some new prime shitposting material

Veeky Forums would go nuts if someone like Pynchon won it

Yeah if they give it to Pynchy he has to give a Nobel lecture; even if its just writing, he's obliged to give something, which is what I would be interested to see. He wont win though.

No. The Nobel's been dead since at least when Toni Morrison won

No. These awards are more political than anything.

Amazing digits friend

if is somebody without a translation in my main language then I will care

Come back to me with something better than Bustle and we can talk. Link an archive of a WSJ article or something.

Literally google any betting page and 'nobel prize literature', the odds are right there

LIL B 'THE BASEDGOD" for his new great achievement BLACK KEN MIXTAPE

Bloom for his masterpiece in fanfiction

I bet they award it to either a North/South Korean. Just to stoke the fire a bit

Karl Ove Knausgaard with congratulatory tweets from Trump to follow.

To North Korea's supreeeeeme leader for standing up to Drumf's aggressive posturing and imperial ambitions in Asia!!!

>akademien will never turn full dadaist and do this
damn shame

Seconding this, although it should be Javier Marías.

hackvier marias is nothing more than a glorified purple prose imbecile

Not a fuckin chance they give it to a white man

>mfw Houllebecq wins

he should.

checked

It's settled then

going to be some rich hookers in san fran
newsweek.com/2013/11/08/lush-life-william-t-vollmann-243896.html

>implying Dylan didn't deserve to win

krasznahorkai or vollmann if they're serious

if not, well, some """poet""" or sjw pick

If it's either of these two I'll be so happy. I'm usually the one shilling Vollmann on here. Even tho I'm sure the masses who flock to bookshops whenever the winner of these prizes are announced will no doubt not even risk opening up The Dying Grass or Melancholy of Resistance

Pope Francis will win

Zinky Boys made me cry like a bitch in public, so if that's your thing then go ahead.

I only want one of my countrymen to win so I get a reason to get drunk and talk about lit shit with plebs who don't really care.

I want Adonis to win

My diary, desu.

>Implying Dylan did deserve to win

One of the following: Magris, Thiong'o, Fosse, Atwood, Lianke, Oz, Marias, Lobo-Antunes, Tokarczuk, Ogawa, Krasznahorkai.

At this rate, maybe it'll be a painter.

Fuck institutional """awards"""

Mira Gonzelaz is going to win this year

Unironically could we ever see Franzen or McCarthy or Pynchon

Out of the realistic options we have, I honestly hope Krasznahorkai gets it. If not, Murakami.

>Franzen
Never
>McCarthy
5%
>Pynchon
1%

Wouldn't even be mad, but give it another ten years until he writes his magnum opus

After the Dylan fiasco, I don't think they'll give it to another publicity-shy figure, so Pynchon's probably out, maybe McCarthy too. Franzen's probably not the academy's cup of tea, plus his past controversies (the "Wharton is ugly" and "adopt an Iraqi orphan" comments, for example) may have made him too controversial.

Bob Dylan one last year. You tell me what the Nobel prize is awarded to.

Checked
I know who shouldn't win, not who should win.

Any fake prize put out by some guy who got his obituary printed pre-death should be ignored. Someone DYNAMITE I would suppose.

Who even cares? This prize has been beyond meaningless for 22 years now.

It's going to be Ko Un. Screencap this comment.

>Thiong'o
*Ngugi