Thoughts on Camille Paglia?

Thoughts on Camille Paglia?

I think her criticisms and descriptions of literature and art are very entertaining and erudite. But I think she can be a little overly sure of herself and the correctness of her specific interpretations.

I dont care about her politics, Im with her brand of feminism.

Sorry if this person has been brought up a bunch before, I've never seen her mentioned myself though.

we don't read females on Veeky Forums

She destroys post modernists and marxists

she is overly sure of herself but to be perfectly honest i have not disagreed with her reads yet

also would bang the stuffing out of that ass 7/9 perfect woman

>Camille Paglia
>female

Oh sorry.

Yeah, I actually respect her critique of Foucalt more than anyone else's. Especially more than Jordan Peterson who just parroted what everyone else was saying.

>Veeky Forums
>youtube stars

She's a nutjob, but I love her. I don't agree with her about everything, but she's very smart and has a lot of interesting things to say.

I seriously hope you are trolling, but there are a number of new right wingers who have just watched her rag on other feminists on YouTube and call themselves fans. If you don't read her books then you can't be her fan. Yeah, I am with you there.

her pop culture references are lights out. a genuinely interesting person

She's an accomplished author and actually one of the more intriguing voices from the feminist movement because unlike all these "newfound" feminists she was there from the very beginning. She's apparently a very good teacher, too, which I respect.

Of course, her ideas are boffo batshit but she's never not entertaining

I think her ideas are good. Which do you disagree with?

There is another thread on her in case you missed it

Made me think

She's reacting to other American idiots misreading those thinkers. She's obviously never read straight from the source.

This is so common in America it's laughable. The ones that finally do read those works admit that they were wrong. Like that American who was an established critic of Baudrillard in academia, called him "the high priest of postmodernism", then finally fucking read him and admitted that Baudrillard was actually writing against "postmodernism". top kek

I think she is more concerned about what she sees as the effect of the sort of Parisian writers of that time although she also says everyone should read Simone De Beauvoir and her ideas are as theoretical and masturbatory as anyone else's though I also think she's important.

Paglia and others seem to take particular issue with De Mann and Foucalt, the latter which I have read some of and find fairly interesting although certainly not anything revolutionary. Maybe Im wrong though.

>her brand of feminism

Me too. She's the only feminist writer (along with Christine Sommers) I can think of who doesn't make me embarrassed for all of womankind.

I like both of them. Greer and Butler are also okay in my book.

>liking Judith "biology doesn't exist" Butler

She's a great prose stylist; love her. She has a way to make you really engaged in the argument she's making, it's just a damn shame that those arguments tend to be a bit superficial and crude. I don't think she shows a deep understanding of nearly any of the topics she touches on desu. Which is ironic considering that she constantly berates others for being poorly read

Yeah, but shes not off the walls insane. And does she say biology doesn't exist?

Her Freudian/romantic feminism is a great antidote to what she calls Rousseauism. She's kind of a feminist microcosm of the wider romantic backlash against the overeager claims of pure reason.

She has flashes of insight because of this fundamental perspective underlying everything she does. And she's a great writer. But her non-Sexual Personae work is mostly anthologies of opinion pieces she writes.

I think her books are better than her lectures, her books tend to be pretty well reasoned while still being bombastic. She kind of reminds me of Ann Coulter, honestly. Takes controversial oddball positions; researches, but will talk circles if need be to fit a narrative.

I like both of them though Paglia thinks Coulter's positions are fine, she just isn't well read enough. Neither was Foucalt or Lacan. Will any of us have ever read enough?

I also enjoy Wurtzel. Sue me.

>Thinking that words = reality

Where do I start with Paglia-san? What are her best books/essays?

Vamps & Tramps and Sex, Art & American Culture. If you like those then tackle Sexual Personae.

I used to respect her, but then I heard she like Revenge of the Sith, let alone liking any Star Wars film ever.

t. brainlet

>he unironically likes star wars
Please, spout your vapid nonsense elsewhere. Meanwhile, I'll avoid your video game garbage.

yes, she bluffs a lot and gets away with it because she's a woman and has a quirky personality.
she's still interesting to read and listen to, but be careful not to be too enchanted by style before substance

yes, peterson is more sketchy, in that he pretends to be very measured and careful while making very strong assertions at the same time, at lest Paglia does it on the open instead of padding it with fake humility

>we don't read females on Veeky Forums
this is a meme, we do read females as long as they are ugly enough

Lovely ideas in Sexual Personae (I mean what a title lol) but it was hard for me to struggle through the writing style

I enjoy her, but disagree here and there.
Sometimes she's going in an interesting direction, but doesn't fully explore it or the articulation leaves to be desired. And I feel a lot of her critique of contemporary feminism comes from her being in a first-world, upper class bubble of intellectuals, blind to how unpopular progressive ideals still are in the majority of the world.

She's too intelligent for her own good.