Michel Houellebecq

Best books by Michel Houellebecq? Also general discussion about him.

I read his essay on Lovecraft recently, its really good even if you're just interested in Lovecraft alone.

I ain't no Houellebecq girl!

That's not how Houellebecq is pronounced. It's something like "well-beck"

Shut up nerd

Not bad but overrated. Tries to be too edgy at times but its fun to read nonetheless

he's one of the few writers today who will be remembered

It's all good. I'd just read his novels chronologically.

>Tries to be too edgy at times

Like when?

>Tries to be too edgy at times
This is a total myth I have heard all too often. Houellebecq does not go out of his way to provoke and shock, he occasionally cracks a harsh joke, but his jokes are always based on honest and clear beliefs. At the end of the day the man is simply saying what he sees as the truth and sincerely and clearly as possible. He is not an edgelord looking for (You)s, he is an intelligent man expressing himself as best he can

Just finished The Elementary Particles, what should i read next?

French person here. This is correct.

Platform innit

bois zone

American here. You're dead wrong, it's pronounced "who-el-beck"

Favorite author currently alive. Only voice I can connect with because he has the balls to say what he thinks from a masculine position in an ever increasingly feminized society.

omg so brave!!

i just hope he stays alive long enough to cram out another batch of novels :(

Feminized is one way to put it, but his oeuvre deals with the crisis of values in general. For a man who lost the will to live even Islam seems like a decent alternative. "Submission" isn't a wake-up call, imho, it's more of a "it's already too late" kind of deal. Baudrillard had this fragment about how the modern man is obsessed about participation and experience, but even that has its limits.

you sure manage to make it sound gay

Idk, it might depend on translations. I've never read him in english

Nope the H is silent, it's pronounced «well-beck» as the other user said.
T. French

Houellebecq is very feminine is many respects, and I think even he would admit this. His sensitivity, aestheticism, romanticism, and submissive nature are all very feminine characteristics

Not to mention the figure he hates in modern society isn't feminine, he comparitvely is very sympathetic and respectful of feminity. Its the male pimps who he despises

Xwelbeg. He's actually Kurdish.

france deserves to get bent over by muslims. its been coming since the 8th century

>implying France won't be where the white man starts to wake up

Bientôt, le jour de la corde

This. It's undeniable. Not even a big fan or anything. Even his name sounds canonical.

He isn't even French. His real surname is Ceccaldi. An Italian

>implying they won't be atheistic within 2 generations

You should learn from the Jews, it doesn't matter if they don't believe in their religion when they're nasty resentful semites

He's a forward thinking author.

For me, it's Houellebecq

Doesn't he endorse Raël?

Nicely said.

Some thoughts on Elements Particles. He integrated that physics & biology jargon pretty well into the beginnings of chapters of talk about "our times" and it probably won't annoy anybody except Veeky Forums. So that was structurally sound.

His observations about women were at times poignant and funny and, when there was misogyny, he was quite self-aware of it and made the males look pathetic too.

What annoyed me most were:
- confessional monologues by women.
>So I did this and that and had such-and-such sex and searched for myself and now realize how absurd it all was

It was way too direct. The disappointment should read between the lines. And after the confessions the women DIE like aids patients talking to a priest.

-that random rambling about a chainsaw massacring pedophile rock musician. There's a point where shock value actually becomes shockingly boring.

His birth Surname was Thomas

He's such a fantastic filthy animal he gives me a raging bonner.

maybe its pronounced "well-beck" if you speak english with a french accent, but there is definitely a "(h)ou" rough breathing sound that elises into an "elle" sound.

just like chante in french isnt pronounced like "shont" in english, theres a definite breathy short "euh" sound that follows

i read atomized and it bored me for the most part desu. i loved the epilogue though. i have submission and possibility of an island, which should I read next?

SEXY HAIRCUT

dead wrong faggot
it's pronounced "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle"

Anyone else get the impression that he's finished? I don't think he's going to write another novel.

If you liked the epilogue then Submission is definately for you

thanks

whatever, possibility of an island, and map & territory are his best.

Is he the only author who really understands contemporary sexual dynamics?

Supreme french goblin

Type this into youtube and watch the book review. You wont be disappointed

decided to read Elementary particles first

However I don't know which version of the book I should read, was looking at these two (I'm mostly just wondering if one translation is better than the other or something like that)

He is a fag and I regret spending 9 dollars on a book that is "about Lovecraft", but as it turns out the book is about this nigger we he muses more about himself than Lovecraft.

wow very Lovecraftian

I'm currently reading "Soumission" in French (I'm French, no credit for me to read it in vo). I really enjoy it. He has a true voice and personality, which is rare in current literature

>myth
Like in Plateforme, where his character is openly racist?

Why? He tends to release a new book every 5 years or so. Just wait another few years

>Suntan lotion glistened on their biceps; their buttocks were rounded and sleek. While they talked, some massaged their genitals through nylon briefs, or slipped a finger under their waist bands, revealing pubic hair or the root of the penis.
>On one such afternoon he had twice tried to masturbate, his eye glued to the eyepiece, staring at an adolescent who had taken off his thong and whose cock had begun to rise.

Nice writer faggots.

You really tell that he started with the
G R E E K S
R
E
E
K
S

and if had too maybe you wouldn't be such a hopeless pleb

Can someone explain les particules elementairs to me? Seemed like just pages of bruno having sex interspersed with clumsy exposition of the authors ideas disguised as dialogue.
I gave up 2/3 of the way through. French isn't my first language so I might be missing something though.
The one with the tits of course

What was your take on the ending? It's been a few months since I've read it, but I remember that Michel's discovery leads to humanity entering the next phase of evolution, or something like that (correct me if I'm wrong but it was something to that effect). I didn't quite understand it, but it struck a chord in me nonetheless.

Soumission is 10/10

By the epilogue I was a bit fed up with the book and found Michel's fate as false martyrdom. Maybe I missed the point concerning the future scientist's endeavours.

I think Houellebecq was implying that we've reached the end of the rope as a species because we've basically made sexual gratification and happiness one and the same. Michel's discovery was a misanthropic jab against humanity, as if to say 'It's going to take a miracle for us to overcome our malaise.'

His best is (the first half of) The Map and the Territory. It's not Houellebecquian at all, though.

Anyone got a copy of his Paris Review interview? It's in issue 206 if it helps.

>clumsy exposition of the authors ideas disguised as dialogue.

His books are basically long essays barely-disguised as fiction.

Any novel can be described that way

Good ones make you forget that tho.

I'm just starting Submission and it's ponctuation seems all fucked up. Is this Hollah back's style or does he just not know how to write?

I was disappointed. Most of the authors she named were shitty and she fucked up Nabokov's name.

This man, in my country he is everything.

Well is it a translation? fuxking idiot

Yeah, but do you think he's going to make it that far? He doesn't look all right. In a recent interview someone asked if he is working on a novel and he said he is not.