Feel depressed

>feel depressed
>do productive manual labour
>it disappears

Really makes you think...

Manual labor makes me want to kill myself

You're doing unproductive manual labour.

Ever built a house of logs?

no but I've worked in a cake factory full of romanians for minimum wage

This is why practice is always better than theory for self-fulfillment

this
>tfw worked in a citrus warehouse with a bunch of punjabi dudes
they were bros, but they were all really old and didnt speak a lick of english

Most manual labor in a post-industrial society is degrading and inhumane. Everything you do is totally ephemeral and utilitarian, basically just a rote task wiped of all identity waiting to be automated. There is no sense of history or future, there is no sense of community and of value in the act itself, you are just assisting the immediate gratification of the immediate desires of a shifting, faceless, ever growing mob. Compare building a school for your town or picking crops for your village to sorting packages at the UPS plant or stocking shelves at Walgreens. What a disgusting world

this is alienation, i claim

Totally this. Also, you are lost in doing. What's impressive about that? When you can labor and be conscious, then you are being. Try reading Eckhart Tolle.

Brilliant description. We're not all fucking Russian aristocrats who can build a log cabin when we like

Aka a little exercise once, twice or trice a day keeps the xanax away.
Labour makes it sound like work but that's a whole definition spectrum to discus.

That's just the release of dopamine in your brain. There's a strong association with seeing 'productivity' regardless of how useful it is and feeling better, the same with exercise, they all release serotonin and yield positive mental conditioning for repetition of such.

try young Marx

>dude it's just chemicals
Right but what never gets answered is the question that always comes next: what causes the chemicals?

inb4 "more chemicals"

kill yourself positivist swine

more chemicals

this is why i am NEET, desu

t. no tertiary medical education

>young Marx

Overrated garbage, even Zizek calls it shit

Nazis already figured it decades ago

Something about this makes me think of people who see no value in experiencing the written word because it's just made up of letters. Or music because it's just frequencies in time. I don't see how understanding the mechanisms of things diminishes their value.

Not saying you're espousing that sort of thing, but that's just what came to mind.

doing manual labour throughout uni and my teenage years was so depressing, and taught me nothing about myself or the world. it would have been much better to be born rich, intelligence gives you introspective ability and appreciation not slaving away with a bunch of foreigners every night while your rich friends are out partying. people who moan about muh office job don't know the half of it.

Imagine that, it's almost as if the human body was meant to be physically active and not loaf in front of a computer screen for 12 hours out of the day.

in many philosophies the goal is to be free from the burden of thought. What do you find compelling about labor? Besides, muh exercise.

>feel bored
>read book
>boredom disappears

it's magic

Wouldn't really call that manual labor. Working as a construction worker or tradesman actually does instill a feeling of purpose. For example, repairing someone's air conditioner, installing a central AC system for a neighbor (not fore free obviously), etc.

>manual labor isn't manual labor

This is all true but getting all tangled up with the reality of this situation is probably what shifts most people on this board to being NEETs and communist sympathizers, you have to have the ability to create your own meaning and definition in today's world, not dwell on how disgusting it is

>you have to have the ability to create your own meaning and definition in today's world

Oh shut the fuck up, this means utterly nothing

I switched out of engineering just because of how depressing the jobs seemed. I'm really hoping teaching provides a more fulfilling feeling.

Lmao bad move

It means nothing if you're a hedonistic faggot.

It's math education, if that makes any difference? Are today's teenagers as bad as they seem?

They're great, its modern teaching that's the problem. Hope you get a good school

You must be an effeminate pussy to consider stocking shelves manual labor.

>Must we then postulate Divine intervention? Are we to bring in God to create the first current of Laplace's nebula or to let off the cosmic firework of LemaƮtre's imagination? I confess an unwillingness to bring God in this way upon the scene. The circumstances with thus seem to demand his presence are too remote and too obscure to afford me any true satisfaction. Men have thought to find God at the special creation of their own species, or active when mind or life first appeared on earth. They have made him God of the gaps in human knowledge. To me the God of the trigger is as little satisfying as the God of the gaps. It is because throughout the physical Universe I find thought and plan and power that behind it I see God as the creator.

You must be half-retarded to not know what manual labor means

I am in the process of getting a job cleaning a large mall on third shift. Apparently whilst doing the work I can listen to audiobooks or music and the work is extremely relaxed and mostly easy (save for the cleaning of the food court floor which is done once a week in its entirely and general cleaning maintenance is done every day). Holidays are also kind of big, as expected.

I'm kind of excited since I'll finally have a paycheck again, honestly. I enjoy monotonous tasks too thanks to actual aspergers, so I guess that helps. Third shift is also more lenient on the rules since no one will be at the mall so I won't even have to follow the dress code fully (which I will anyway because rules are important). I will not be tucking my shirt in, though.

How'd you get that comfy job?

Nepotism, much to my chagrin. A few months ago I was asked by my neighbour if I knew anyone who needed a job, but I turned it down as I was attempting to start my own business at the time so was focusing on that. Her dog came to see my dogs and we spoke the other day and I asked her if she was still looking for someone to fill the position and she said yes.

It was much better than the multiple applications I've sent out and received nothing back for my trouble. I can save for college and get my meme degree so I can feel superior to others despite having no career prospects, and I will have a mostly easy job where I don't have to interact with anyone but a few colleagues.

Is nepotism how you get jobs? Because of all the applications I filled out, the only callback I got was a restaurant where friends of mine worked.

Anecdotally, yes.

On my islands of work amidst seas of NEEThood doing manual labour and monotonous factory shit I was given a lot of time for self reflection and thinking, ironically the opposite of my current NEET state where my mind is always shifting through the mire on this shitty website and what not
Grass is greener though, it was a pain in the arse a lot of the time and all I ever thought about was what I'd do when I got home or when I was NEET again, it's like flipping a burger that never cooks on either side with life

You could also be cool and attractive, that works well

>feel depressed
>exercise
>exercise
>exercise
>feel depressed even more while exercising

Picking crops is utilitarian and one of the shittiest jobs you can have. Increased automation should of freed up labor to enjoy life but wealth will never fucking trickle down and capital will always accumulate in hands of the few.

basically this. why do we need all of these worthless service industry jobs?

Story of my life

But to be fair OP did say *productive* manual labour.
Exercise is just a sign that your life is so empty of any meaningful labour that you have to do some just for the sake of it. Which is why it makes you even more depressed eventually, I guess.

Manual labor is fine as long as you are your own boss

It's way less fun when you're busting your ass to make money for someone else

but he likes alienation

Tbh this is why I became a tradesman. I feel like it's the forgotten alternative to university to have a well paying job. If you contract you are in control of your hours, in control of the jobs you accept and decline, free to accept work from multiple sources, and you can take holidays whenever you want for how long you want. Plus if you are tidy in your work you pretty much have no one to answer to all the while making better money than most people. It's also feels nice to do a skilled job with your hands.

Manual labor makes you happy, eh?

As an outsider, tradesman contract work seems like a pretty top tier path

suprised nobody has posted the Arbeit macht frei meme

It is if you have the right temperament. You have a lot more responsibility as a contractor than most people have in their jobs. You need to be a relaxed person who is good at what they do, otherwise the job destroys you mentally. That being said I highly recommend it. You can spend six years at medical school to go into a job that actually won't pay that well for a few years plus having the truly massive student debt to pay off, or you can get your trade papers in three year much easier years while earning money and go straight into something with your papers and make great money of the bat.

not bad, would read again

>just do manual labor haha
>just go outside dude, go chop some wood for your fireplace in the garden you have tee hee

thanks

I will say in my recent experience it's a resounding yes. I was on the verge of being homeless and sent out ~15 applications to various places and for pretty much all of them it was a huge waiting game and a series of interviews which would either result in nothing at all or a position with shit hours and shit pay. I finally got a job at a law firm because a position opened up and I happened to know the lady from when I previously was doing courier work.

>manual labour and what you do for an income is the same thing

I agree with what you said. Certainly most of our work is soulless. But you can do manual labour in your own time too. I'm in the process of making myself a guitar right now, for example.

>he doesn't elevate menial labour to the level of advanced mysticism by means of constant inner prayer

Legit pleb

Being a roofer is the most satisfying job I've ever had. I feel like a very useful man, strong willed and physically able man. It also teaches one to be grateful for every moment that you draw breath because you can die any day that you get up and go to work. There's so much to learn to be a good roofer. We have an unspoken sense of fraternity as well because of these things. Construction workers and roofers in particular are a lot more valuable than is commonly imagined. The job is one of the highest physical art forms. Quite literally as well lol

I'd also like to say that truck drivers are the unsung heroes of the world. None of this shit would work without them. Their intentions may solely be to make money, but they are sacrificing so much by doing their job. Respect them.

Do it pussy, tap into your primal nature. You aren't just an intellect, you're also a testosterone filled beast.

I'm interested. Could you recommend me some trades that are low-stress/time? High pay doesn't matter as long as the wages are livable.

yeah let me just go in the forest i have on my estate and chop down some trees haha :)

what a grand time!

Condescension is really effeminate. Go physically exert yourself to the point of exhaustion, you'll feel better.

in the past eight years the only time i have actually felt good about myself and life and felt like i had actually accomplished something was when i helped my father repair the fence.

yep let me just get my cane i will walk around my vast grounds

i sure hope groundskeeper willis has cleared the paths of brushwood!

So why haven't you become a fence maker yet?

>work 200 hours a week of mindless unproductive manual labor waiting for automation (baggage handler)
>so exhausted that spend days off in bed
>Oi me lad, you should also do manual labor on your time off too!
Fuck YOU!

>this is how romantacucks argue

You are a hedonistic faggot.

He has not sir. Last I saw of him he was running off to his quarters with a giddy expression upon his weary yet strong face with that Jessica girl you fancy, she looked quite pleased with herself as well. I'm sorry sir it truly is a dreadful shame that you can't find good help anymore.

Why did this make me laugh
is not even funneh

>tfw your MA makes you want to die
>tfw the only time you're happy is when you get asked to do chores around the house

you do know that people can breed above the replacement rate, right?

nuclear weapons and modern medecine are what ruined us. bring back hoplites, slaves, and infant mortality

>implying free time and enjoying life are not mutually exclusive

My nigger. What kind of materials do you roof with? Do you mostly do residential or commercial. When I used to roof I worked under one contractor who was pretty much a bogan. It's amazing how close we became over the years. Also when the big brick/roof tile company in my country would give us a team to help out was always a lot of fun. Being a part of a team like that made the days fly by like they are nothing.

I'm assuming you mean for contracting, if you are on wages you are not in control of your hours. In that regards it doesn't matter too much what trade you do since by its very nature contracting gives you freedom.

So just to make sure we are on the same page when you contract you either get jobs directly from clients or you can subcontract for someone. When you subcontract they provide you with jobs that you can do though you are in full control of how many hours and what days to do the job unless there are strict deadlines on it. Finding your own work can be very patchy if you don't have a good network and often involves a lot of effort (you have to go to every job and price if when there is no certainty you will even get it). Subcontracting is sort of like being on wages except you have the ability to refuse work they give you which also means you can control how much work you want to do, can subcontract for multiple people, and can take holidays and breaks as long as you want.

However some trades aren't practical to do on your own. If you have your own employees it seriously diminishes your freedom and makes your job more stressful (though providing more money). So doing new concrete or clay roofs is pretty much impossible on your own. Also in my experience there seems to be a negative correlation between stress and time in trades. The more stressful the job the less you have to work with the inverse being true. Being a painter or plasterer is one of the easier trades but you usually have to do long days multiple days in a row. I'm a vinyl layer for floors. It's technical work where it's easy to wastes thousands of dollars of vinyl from simple easy to make mistakes. As such I earn really good money per meter and the days usually aren't that long but it requires a bit of stress here and there.
I'm not bashing painters or plasters by the way. It's a different sort of lifestyle that suites different people. I know a painter who contracts. As I said he works a lot but it's never very hard work, he earns good money and he spends the whole day listening to music, audiobooks etc. So what trade you want to go into should be heavily informed by what kind of person you are.

>work 200 hours a week of mindless unproductive manual labor waiting for automation (baggage handler)
>work 200 hours a week

marry me
i'm mira whatever btw

what if i can build a log cabin when i like?
enlighten me about your ways

heisenberg

you're just an user in a sea of other anons, you know

underrated
no

Fucking A star post.

>Feel depressed
>Think of Stalingrad
>Literally nothing I ever face in life will compare to the horrors of the second world war
>Not depressed anymore, filled with hope

People that feel like they are facing adversity today need some historical perspective.

You could do a skilled manual labor job like being a gardener, a contractor, a plumber etc. There's plenty of manual labor that isn't "inhumane". Being a butcher is actually a skilled profession that most people don't think of too.

That job sounds fucking fantastic. I work in a storeroom as a stocker and it feels similar but the work is generally hard/fast paced most days. Working for a couple years now has made me realize that the one thing I absolutely don't want in life is a job that is important and requires solving problems. I want a job that is easy and relaxed and basically doesn't matter, not because I'm lazy, just because I don't want people expecting things from me during the work day. I want to reserve all of my free time and passion for my not work, because if I had a job "where you don't have to work", like a professional passion I'd be so crushed by expectation that I wouldn't want to go to work at all. I'd rather be a hobbyist that works as often as a professional but has no professional obligations.

How the fuck is "wanting to create your own meaning" not hedonistic? Clearly gaining a sense of purpose wards off depression and should make you feel better, otherwise why care about it?

This is literally the only thing marx was right about

Imagine being this much of a fucking wageslave.

Cuz you suck

Are you that autistic Veeky Forums poster who constantly posts that everything everyone does or ever did from the dawn of time is inherently hedonistic and it boils down to that everyone is a hedonist?

If there is no objective principal to live towards outside our own pleasure principal then this is obviously an indisputable fact
Hence why "making up your own meaning" is just self fellating hedonism in denial

He's probably just a hedonist who gets pleasure out of this

Outside stimulus you chimp

I have no idea who you're talking about, but if you're motivation for doing something is to feel better rather than worse, then it's hedonistic. If you restrict hedonism to "mindless addition to instant gratification" type pleasure seeking, then you're not wrong, but that's just clearly retarded.

There are moral paradigms other than hedonism, but most people are dishonest about their actual supposed value.

weird, heavy weight training and cardio make me feel great

>have to go to high school again for three (3) years to get a license to do carpentry
Thanks social democracy

>the point of life is to evade hardship
please leave Veeky Forums forever