ITT: philosophers who killed themselves

ITT: philosophers who killed themselves

>tfw just finished Sex and Character

Based

Whats dis dudes name i alwayz forgetz itz

Otto Weininger

Danks dawg. I'll read him one I find translation in my language

book is annoyingly expensive in hard copy, but have always wanted to read atter hearing witty liked him

Both Deleuze and Foucault, although with Foucault it was a "differed" suicide if you catch my Derridian drift

Everybody who smoked and died of cancer. Don't get me wrong, I want to die of cancer as well, it's a way to die that is best suited for the literally cancerous state of the world (hyperproduction and oversaturation of everything).

I feel for d

Deleuze euthanasia'd himself. It wasn't suicide

Debord, Deleuze, Mainlander, Seneca, Benjamin

That's true. It was pretty stoic in nature although with stoics suicide wasn't simply because of physical problems but knowing when it's a proper time to end the story.

Self Inflicted bug bite

Socrates

Otto Weininger fell into despair because he believed that he had discovered an inborn criminality in himself. He lamented to his friend that he was a murderer at heart (murder for him was intimately connected with love, in the sense that we "kill" the thing we love by our raising it up and denying its reality). Weininger, of course, never committed murder. The only one he killed was himself. Now, the question be: did he commit suicide to prevent himself from murdering (or perhaps we take it to mean that he could not resolve his own love), or he was in fact, correct when he diagnosed his character, and the one that killed him was the "murderer" inside of him, which he lost control over. As reinforcement for the latter, we might consider that Weininger would have considered self-denial as a form of murder, and perhaps the greatest form indeed.

fuck. Deleuze's hair. Why are the French such disgusting faggots?

>or he was in fact, correct when he diagnosed his character
You're denying your own interpretation there of love-as-murder which I agree with by the way. At least in the sense that there's always an impulse to destroy what seduced you the same way you want to kill what controls you. Think of Ricardo and Björk :^)

>your denying your own interpretation

I miss your meaning.

>an impulse to destroy

Yes, that's part of it, but only in the case that what you love betrays you. Otto has also a deeper meaning, that even just loving something denies that thing existence of itself, beyond your love. A mother's love, for instance, is to an extent, cruel to her son, because she loves him not for his individuality, but for the fact that he is her meaning in life. She thus uses him as a means to an end, loving him with a disregard to his true self.

So basically his point is that "love is selfish"? That sounds pretty basic m8. Although I don't see where "denial of existence" comes in when conflict can be conceived as essential to existence. Without conflict you're just on autopilot, like an organic machine.
What I had in mind initially is more akin to the crimes of passion where the loved one is destroyed because they're too much to bear.

David Foster Wallace

#squadgoals

i never cared much for his theories on the sexes

what i really find interesting is his views on the Genius, particularly as a "discerner of men"

>what i really find interesting is his views on the Genius, particularly as a "discerner of men"
that's the reason I read him, after I heard Wittgenstein like this part

now his theory of sexes is still interesting, and while it something that a lot of people think now, it was quite innovative back then
he was ahead of his time, but it is unlikely that people who support similar views to Weininger regarding the gender spectrum will ever him him credit due to his misogynistic views

Lucretius
Seneca
Walter Benjamin

>Walter Benjamin

Different theories about this one. There's a good possibility that an agent or two tracked him down and "helped" him suicide.