How do I write horror?

How do I write horror?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lIIA6QDgl2M
openculture.com/2014/10/h-p-lovecraft-gives-five-tips-for-drafting-a-horror-story-or-any-piece-of-weird-fiction.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

boooooo

Thank you

It has to scare you to some extent. Most writers/filmmakers are so focused on scaring audiences or readers that they forget horror is grounded in a real threat.

When writing horror the most important thing is creating atmosphere. Horror only works as well as the context in which it takes place and so you must take great care to bring your reader into your written world before frightening them

True.

Try not to rely on 'rules' for your monster. Once your monster's behavior can be predicted it puts them in a box and therefore makes them less frightening for the reader. The only reason why you should imply rules of behavior for your monster is to purposefully lull your readers into a false sense of security and then subvert their expectations. Many horror writers make the mistake of not showing their monster, believing that this inflates their perceived threat and form into something the human mind cannot possibly comprehend. Do not make your monster an incomprehensible one, instead make them an unstoppable one. The protagonist cannot truly win, merely stave of the inevitable. Every victory is merely a short respite. They WILL eventually get you. And it is what the monster will do upon winning that you should keep vague, not the monster itself.

Make your book at least 1,000 pages and include at least one underage gangbang.

I would like to write horror but my anxiety makes me scared and panicked of the things I would write about

Boo!

Yamete

light your dingus on fire, cram peanuts butter in your poopshoot, pencils to your ear and eye holes, kill self.

Kill off the protagonist.

Not completely related but it felt like a good place to ask, can anyone recommend essays or studies on horror? As in why people enjoy it as entertainment, what scares us, etc.

Not an essay, but he goes in depth on this topic.
youtube.com/watch?v=lIIA6QDgl2M

Have you ever experienced any nightmares/night terrors? If you have then try and pinpoint as best you can the essence of what about it caused such a strong emotional response, be it terror or fear.

muh dead chinks

Not creating rules for your threat is a terrible idea. Lack of consistency kills stories. You should strive to give your threat limitations and motivation, because without it you will get completely lost while writing your story. Have rules, but never tell the reader or the characters what they are.

H.P. Lovecraft Gives Five Tips for Writing a Horror Story, or Any Piece of "Weird Fiction"

openculture.com/2014/10/h-p-lovecraft-gives-five-tips-for-drafting-a-horror-story-or-any-piece-of-weird-fiction.html

Read it
Anatomize it
Imitate it