*teleports behind western society*

>*teleports behind western society*
>*unsheathes intellectual intuition*
>*exposes Christianity and most of western philosophy as behind devoid of genuinely metaphysical knowledge*
>*heh... nothing personal kid*

Other urls found in this thread:

cruxnow.com/global-church/2017/09/24/conservative-theologians-accuse-pope-spreading-heresy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>genuine and metaphysics in same sentence

>*blindly obey the muslim overlords of the Tariqa*

>religion

more like "guenuinely" metaphysical knowledge

Guennon...easy on the long face

nice

this

>doing project on Eliade
>wondering about his connections to Guenon
>spend hours noting every time he mentions Guenonian ideas
>read his journals
>"Guenon sucks. I hate Guenon. What a superficial scholar. Fuck you, Guenon! I hate that guy"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>Eliade
>perennialism
When will the meme end?

Where did he say that about Christianity?

Are there any people not formally associated with the Traditionalist School that the Traditionalists appreciate or are willing to accept?

Among modern scholars and teachers: Henry Corbin; Louis Massignon; Mircea Eliade; Thomas Yellowtail, Black Elk; Joseph Epes Brown; Toshihiko Izutsu; among the sages of the past, Meister Eckhart, Dante Alighieri, Shankaracharya, Lao Tzu, Ibn al’Arabi, Jalaluddin Rumi, the Sufi writer Niffari, and a host of others.

In the general sense of the word as it's used now one cannot really determine whether one metaphysical doctrine is more genuine over another.

However, in his books, essays and speeches Guenon gives a rigorous enough definition of what truly constitutes metaphysical knowledge that allows one to distinguish the genuine from the false. If you're interested in reading more about this his book 'Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines' is good in this regard.

I wish I didn't read this guy, I'd have prefered believing in an anthropomorphic God and meekly believing the doctrine.

Now I'm like "whatever..."
But I can't even be a hedonist because I know there is more and the purpose of man.

F-Fuck you guenon...

Valentin Tomberg

Read Buber's I-and-Thou, it made a personal God viable to me.

I'll check that, thank you friend

>believing that an impersonal God is capable of love

Pfffftttttt, get some Trinitarian doctrine in ya budd

Where do I start with this guy?

Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines

Man and his Becoming

The Crisis of the Modern World

The Reign of Quantity and the Sign of the Times

It's a huge generalization of Guenon's position but it's still basically correct. He writes about this in many of his books.

His general position is that Christianity as it's practiced in the west is lacking in a genuinely metaphysical teaching, that it doesn't effectively communicate a sense of the Sanātana Dharma that underlies all religion in the perennialist/traditionalist view.

I know that in 'Intro to the Hindu Doctrines' he attributes this to how Christianity came to be defined by the dual influences of Jewish and Greek thought. In his view the anthropomorphic religious beliefs of the Greeks in combination with the obsessively faith-based religious (as opposed to metaphysical) beliefs of the Jews led to a Christianity lacking in metaphysical teachings.

This is his view is largely why the modern west is in a funk and ties directly into his works about it like 'crisis of the modern world'. The cause of the crisis is that the western man has lost a connection to the perennial tradition because of the aforementioned reasons.

In his view the scholastics of the medieval era are the people in Christianity who come closest to understanding metaphysical truth. In his work 'Insights into Christian Esoterism' he also writes about how groups like the Knights Templar, the Provencal troubadours, the Fedeli d'Amore, etc possibly contained initiatory teachings that embodied perennial truths but the problem is that these are fringe groups.

In his view eastern traditions like Hinduism, Islam, the Chinese traditions etc contain the metaphysical teachings in their exoteric form; and that this is partially responsible for the difference in western vs. eastern culture (i.e. that the eastern mentality is partially the result of the Sanātana Dharma being openly taught which leads to it being intuitively understood by a large amount of the population while the western man's ennui is because where these teachings are found in Christianity it is in small esoteric groups that most people remain ignorant of).

Throughout his life he remained optimistic that some combination of masonry and traditionalist Catholicism could restore a sense of the Traditionalist/Perennialist teachings to Christianity but he was content to live in Egypt and didn't try to personally accomplish this himself.

is that the book where he trashes buddhism? i think Evola wrote at some point that he managed to sort of change Guenon's mind about early buddhism, but he may have been bluffing

>is that the book where he trashes Buddhism?

I believe that was in 'East and West' but apparently conversations that he had with Evola, Marco Pallis and I've read in some places also Coomaraswamy led to him revising his views on it; Evola wrote in an essay how he and Pallis wrote to Evola about passages in it that they thought were inaccurate and how Guenon later corrected those passages in the English edition of the book.

Guenon was initiated into the Advaita Vedanta branch of the Hindu tradition. While many Hindus take the view that Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu, there is a minority who take the view that the teachings of Buddha are just the heterodox views of a Kshatriya revolting against the traditional teachings of the Brahmins and don't hold Buddhism in high regard, Adi Shankara was famously hostile to Buddhism despite many similarities between Buddhism and Advaita, he was even accused of being a 'crypto-Buddhist'.

It seems that Guenon assimilated this unfavorable view of Buddhism from the people who he received initiation into Hinduism from but later realized he was mistaken.

Where did you read this? I remember that Guenon and Eliade were in good terms but Guenon lamented that Eliade didn't expose fully his ideas about tradition because he was afraid to lose credibility and prestige inside the academia.

Also the one that made Guenon change his mind about Buddhism was Coomaraswamy, in particular with his detailed study, Induism and Buddhism, were he show the qualitative continuity between the two traditions.

Also, what about tradition and Jung? I know that Guenon didn't like him, but also didn't read him extensively. On the other hand, Coomaraswamy and Eliade saw Jung with a good eye. Does anybody know better about the topic?

Ah i was forgetting...Guenon had very little to share with Evola, he didn't like his political activism and tought that he inverted the hieraechy between temporal and spiritual power, putting first the king (the earthly nobility) and the spiritual legitimacy after him. ( ksathrya at the first place, brahmin at second).

Thanks for this post.

I support so much of the thrust of what the traditionalists are doing but the part where they seem to want to curate ancient texts frightens me a bit. I like Heidegger's way of approaching ancient texts that still had a "remembrance of being," because it doesn't imply that they had it all figured out and that we should solely go back to those texts. We should be looking for pathways to BETTER metaphysics, not just reading the fait accompli of the ancients.

Who the fuck is this guy and why am I suddenly seeing his squashed lion's face every day on Veeky Forums?

>filename.jpg

Tariqa isn't even a thing you fucking retard. Embrace Islam as the ultimate form of Tradition. Reject the Hadiths and read the Quran only.

>Tariqa isn't even a thing you fucking retard.
It is, and it's still alive to this day
>Reject the Hadiths and read the Quran only.
Ibn Arabi would disagree with you.

I wonder what Guenon what say about the Saudis funding the spread of Wahhabism all over the Muslim world. It's occurred to such an extent that mainstream Sunni thought and beliefs across many MENA countries has gravitated more towards Wahhabi views.

It's the Wahhabists and other fundamentalists that are most opposed to the mystical aspects of Islam and it's typically been them who have persecuted the Sufi's the most. I kind of see the Saudi-led Wahhabists as being representatives of the materialist 'counter-tradition' that Guenon talked about in his books.

>Christianity
>devoid of genuinely metaphysical knowledge
nice try

>Embrace Islam as the ultimate form of Tradition
>newest major religion
>ultimate tradition

You should read submission by Houellebecq. There is a character in it who talks about just that.

I always thought Eastern Orthodoxy would appeal more to Guenon since it puts tradition at the center. I'm not sure Guenon would have chosen Islam today. Second-rate thinker desu but he wrote a lot so I could be wrong.

>Metaphysics

Idgaf. I just wanna read about ethics and ontology. God and spirits are just spooks.

What were his thoughts on the Orthodox Church?

ontology is metaphysics

Most philosophers regularly posted on Veeky Forums would be terrified of Francis and all other mystical Christians. Who needs "metaphysical knowledge" when God reveals himself to you directly, because of your devotion to his Son?

>His general position is that Christianity as it's practiced in the west is lacking in a genuinely metaphysical teaching, that it doesn't effectively communicate a sense of the Sanātana Dharma that underlies all religion in the perennialist/traditionalist view.
This is true.

But, ironically, the Orthodox Church is the closest later Christianity has to structured outer practice.

I want to know this too. But I think the biggest problem is that we have lost our Rome, which is Constantinople, but most people don't even know that it was actually called Rome during it's existence, never Constantinople or Byzantium. Guenon should have gone to Greece.

Guénon saw Islam as the last revealed religion thus the closest to truth。

I thought it had to do with still being traditional. Isn't the point of perrenialism that the truth can't be contained in one tradition, but tradition is nonetheless necessary?

>this one saint out of hundreds who is totally irrelevant to mainstream Christian doctrines proves that Christianity is a metaphysical tradition on par with eastern ones such as Hinduism and Daoism!

no

He indeed saw Islam as the most recent revealed tradition but I'm pretty sure he didn't see it as being 'closest to the truth'. He explicitly says in his books that the metaphysical truth, 'Sanātana Dharma' etc etc remains the same unchanging eternal truth outside of any contingent human interpretation of it and that the differences in human interpretation of it between traditions have to do with the culture and temperament of the people interpreting it. The idea that Islam is closer to the truth than Hinduism or the Chinese traditions completely goes against what he wrote.

>Saint Francis
>totally irrelevant
>when the current Pope named himself after him
If that's the case then the problem doesn't lie in Christianity but in "mainstream Christianity" not being Christianity. The Church should promote the laymen actually reading her doctors and not simply attending mass. Maybe then me could do away with the "I read the Bible once and it was terrible" meme.

I'm thinking about buying Marco Pallis' The Spiritual Ascent/ A Treasury of Traditional Wisdom. Is it good, or is it just 1,144 pages of aphorisms?

>exposes Christianity
Wrong.
God is both anthropomorphic and not. God is both immanent and not.

>St. Francis is 'irrelevant'
*laughing beasts.jpg*
Not did the current Pope name himself after him, but the previous made him the patron saint of ecologists. That is, of the largest ideological movement existent at the moment.

Christianity as a tradition has no one tradition. Such a simplicity of thought is not evidence of knowledge, but to the contrary, of misguidance. The irony of Truth is that when revealed, it may be taken in any such way. Those (like myself) who have been both burdened and gifted with direct revelation are more difficult to sway with the trends.

>>when the current Pope named himself after him
>current Pope
>basically a heretic cuck
cruxnow.com/global-church/2017/09/24/conservative-theologians-accuse-pope-spreading-heresy/

I refuse to take seriously anyone who uses that word as an insult. It's like putting a dunce cap on your own head.

Come on, you know that Orthodox Chruch is also an ethno club.

heretic is a well established word in christian tradition, no need to be mad

LARP fuck off

To be fair, there are ways to interpret Amoris Laetitiae that might be considered heretical. This is why it's so important for the dubia to be answered, or, failing that, for Cardinal Burke's filial correction to be published.

>Islamic whore
Well at least he wasn't dumb but his work should not be taken seriously outside of some metaphysical observations which are pretty good

French Degenerate Guenón also known as Abd al-Wāḥid Yaḥyá. If you want to study someone in the ''traditionalist'' school go for Ananda Coomaraswamy.

>>>*exposes Christianity and most of western philosophy as behind devoid of genuinely metaphysical knowledge*

He was a Catholic for most of his life until his wife died and he got depressed and went to Egypt. He recommended Christianity as one possible path towards God.
The only reason he 'converted' to Islam was because he wanted an "initiation" into a religious order that still allowed him to fug. Christian orders require celibacy among other hard vows.
Islam was just a framework for him. At heart he was probably a Vedantist, just like Schuon, but the Vedanta is closed to outsiders not borne in a caste, or at least he thought so.

No it isn't. All muh ansisters come from historically proddy countries.

its personnel newfag

heh... nothin personnel... kid.......

So what you're saying is he's a weeaboo.

Let's Play Don't Starve

>"I'm unable to use any frame of reference other than commonly used insults on Veeky Forums"

>French Degenerate Guenón also known as Abd al-Wāḥid Yaḥyá. If you want to study someone in the ''traditionalist'' school go for Ananda Coomaraswamy.

Coomaraswamy is great but Guenon hardly qualifies as 'degenerate'

How does one define "Degenerate"?

Degenerate is anything that's part of non-white culture.

>Bleaches that sweet Muslima cunny

Some of his kids are still alive.

>Embrace Islam
>Reject hadith

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WAT R U DOING BRO?

Sticking your penis in another mans anus

Eurasia is the way forward... philosophically, sensually. Gide realised it. Houellebecq realised it. The might and the tenderness which died in the European wars can be rekindled by the candle of Arabia... The winds of the desert are the spiritual oasis of the world entire, from which our cup must be refilled. T.E. Lawrence, not yet understood, a reverse-spectre in his own time, a precursor who sipped from the delicate wines of the coming world, who felt the sands shift beneath his feet at the echo of distant drums.

How do I escape this materialistic, and post-modernist hell? Do I have to give up my current life, and join a far east Buddhist monastery, or an Amish community?

>implying Africa won't save the West

You probably don't need to join a monastery but it can't hurt to explore different philosophies and see what clicks, maybe visit a temple or church?

You can also visit monasteries.

How do I read Guenon's works without turning into a crypto-Muslim?

yeah mate the half westernised islamic world dominated by wahhabis will save us

is Lawrence of Arabia worth watching?