Recent Buys/Stack Thread

Post your recent buys, anons.

Rate and critique others' choices.

I bet you feel pretty smart for buying those books of ancient foreign writers that have been translated into modern English so the plebs can feel like they are experiencing art and culture while taking up large amounts of space in your home while an e-reader would perfectly suffice for your needs and cost less through pirating but wouldn't give you the satisfaction of being able to show off to your imaginary friends and the hope that maybe your copy of Crime and Punishment will help you lose your virginity if a girl who isn't your mother enters your room through your fancy collection of high-school surface level canon books as recommended by others because you're lacking in any kind on introspection and originality to make your own literature choices of books you won't even read them the books are just for social purposes, eh?

Do you want to be friends?

that is a very long sentence, friend

Someone's projecting a little hard.

Is this a Crikey Rewritey I haven't seen yet

Rainer Rilke is very good, wish he was English

>hope that maybe your copy of Crime and Punishment will help you lose your virginity if a girl who isn't your mother enters your room

He's right, you know.

What do you mean "wish he was English?" Could an Englishman ever have produced the Duino Elegies? Even the letters to a fucking admirer of his are considered a major work

Got these a couple of days ago, from top to bottom
>Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
>Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals by Immanuel Kant (translated)
>The Ego and its Own by Max Stirner (translated)

>He is a non-entity, means absolutely nothing to me - Vladimiar Nabokov, 1969

Why that java book?

Required for one of the courses I'm taking.

>Could an Englishman ever have produced the Duino Elegies?
Why not?

Thomasposting

Why the fuck would you ever read Wealth of Nations

Lmao are you still feeling insecure about Milton, Shakespeare, Blake, Poundand TS Eliot? Oh yes and Joyce of course

studying economics

Rilke, nice.
Don't see him on Veeky Forums too often. I just started The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge myself.

Only if you big titty anime girls.

retoasting from end of other thread

>fancy collection of high-school surface level canon books as recommended by others
but aren't you supposed to read the classics first before you know how to appreciate more eclectic stuff

All quiet on the western front is middleschool-tier complexity but worth reading if you haven't before.

Super jealous of those prices.

>that edition of Gulag Archipelago
I'm jelly.

Good luck reading The Wealth of Nations. One of the harder books for me to get through.

That's a really tiny looking Magic Mountain. Is it abridged?

Pic related are most of the books I've bought in the last few weeks. I've heard Carlos Castaneda's Teachings of Don Juan is really good and I'm looking forwards to reading it.

Not going to post a pic but recently I bought:
-Nicomachean Ethics
-On the Genealogy of Good and Evil and Ecce Homo (Kaufman)
-The Power of Now
-Hyperion
-Meditations

Common names so calling me a pseud is warranted I guess. I spent 5 hours reading Aristotle today, at around 9 minutes/page. Hellishly slow even if I was summarizing in a journal and going to the interpretations in the back as I read but whatever, I'm not going to stand around holding my dick out like some of pretentious fucks around here.

Trying to decide

>Hyperion
Nice

Were these seriously only 99 cents apiece? At least tell me they were 99 bong pennies. Cheapest books I'll ever find in my city start at $2.

Bulgakov

America dollars..and i would be remiss to not mention the military discount from my insurance card as the cherry on top!

>

SEND HELP

also have these organized by stack you cant really see the ones below the camera as the big stacks are general fiction but I have an americas stack, greek/roman stack, poetry stack, philosophy stack, spiritual stack, east asia stack, and middle east stack.

once I get book shelves I will remove all the stickers. about 350 books total from one thrift store with some kind of patrician mastermind in the warehouse, have never seen a store like it.

You should get yourself a nice bookshelf and organize that shit. By jacket colour, of course.

Well, he wrote that in his post user.

>all that new age pseudo spiritual bullshit

Just finished Hyperion, now I'm on Old Man's War. I'm soon gonna buy:
>The Monk
>War and Peace
>The Turn of the Screw
>Ringworld
>Melmoth the Wanderer
>The Picture of Dorian Gray
>The Snow Leopard (matthiessen)
>Dune (unironically)
Rate my current stack and my future buys.

Just finished Hyperion, now I'm on Old Man's War. I'm soon gonna buy:
>The Monk
>War and Peace
>The Turn of the Screw
>Ringworld
>Melmoth the Wanderer
>The Picture of Dorian Gray
>The Snow Leopard (matthiessen)
>Dune (unironically)
Rate my current stack and my future buys.

It looks short, but it's around 700 pages.

Asimov and Erikson are interesting, the rest not so much. Future buys are looking good.

In Praise of Shadows
The Sea of Fertility tetralogy
Being and Time
Critique of Pure Reason

Hoo boy.. didn't know what I was getting myself into with that last one

>the critique shill
Can you stop posting this /pol/tier book about the jews in every single thread ffs

Man mou what site do you suggest for untranslated books in greece ?

Out of this stack I'll be reading Pale King first and probably a few pages here or there of Imagine

That's Keats collection looks nice

>everything .99 - 1.50
>Gulag Archipelago
>9.99
>mfw

I myself just bought A Separate Reality about a week ago. It's not high up on my to-read next list, but I'm definitely curious. It sounds interesting

JUST READ YOUR FUCKING BOOKS AND STOP POSTING THE SAME STACK YOU INSECURE ATTENTION SEEKING FAGGOT NARCISSIST

It's well known nobody reads posts on lit, they just glance at the pic attached and run from there

Only read wasp factory so far.

hello

Hi. Nice stack, this Rimbaud looks nice!

Holy freaking shit, I didn't know Ada was that long.

Reposting from last thread. Spent almost nothing, on them. Three were free, a couple of them were $0.05, and I had store credit.

>ereader advocate
>autistic, overly long post

business as usual

there is no third 9 you dip, one number is just bigger because they fucked up the sticker

it's 99 cents like everything else

Where do you live I wanna move in there

Public has plenty of titles from different publishing houses but they tend to treat the books like shit, try Politeia if you live in Athens

Meant for

Yeah most times i order from Politeia but most of the english history books need 3-5 weeks shipping.
Public seems pretty overpriced.

Roast me

What store? Tell me now! Now!

I've heard good things about No Longer Human. Dazai > Murakami, right?

Isn't Beneath The Wheel inexorably dry?

The Magic Molehill more like.

>Dune (unironically)
Dune is good desu if polarising. Heard good things about Hyperion.

Can anyone say if Doctor Zhivago is ant good? Seen it around a lot.

Never heard of that Murakami.

>Being and Time
Nice.

What is the Wallace about?

I'm gonna have to re-read Ada, it was a very strange and interesting book.

>Precalculus
>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

>book of enoch
lol based

This fucking guy again

muh' stack

I think you'll like ringworld. I'm super picky about sci-fi if I criticize the underlying science of things too much but I still liked it alot. Made me feel like I was a kid playing halo again for the first time.

I had that edition of Thucydides
I would really recommend getting the penguin/Barnes and nobles version that has a ton of annotations

Don't bother with the landmark Thucydides though, it's shit and for plebs

you could feel the butthurt in this post. so good.

Dat hippie book stack. Don't feel bad user, I went through that phase too, about 50 years ago. It's all good stuff. It will balance out the "start with the Greeks" meme.

Is that a cat wrapped around your face?

Nice pasta

ringworld was shit. the only thing going for it is the awesome scale and vision of a future that's bored as fuck because teleportation. otherwise the story is a bland, hokey one-dimensional shit-show. honestly surprised amazon is going for it, given how flat the characters are (except speaker-to-animals, or whatever the fuck the kzin's name was)

HEre's what I got in the last week.

Yes, it was shit. But if you can get past the things that make it shitty then it's ok. The name you are looking for is Speaker.

>The Gulag, Abridged
Oops.
>How To Be Alone
Are you okay, user?

Why would anyone buy abrdiged versions

$3 each from a bookstore that's closing down soon.

STOP BUYING PAPERBACKS

New thread

>buy a paperback
>Its already ruined after 1 reading.

rip

Why would you make a new thread when this one is nowhere near dead? Use the fucking catalogue next time.

Why buy a book on CCNA instead of studying online?

Do you feel smart writing all this?

The Sea of Fertility tetralogy is one of the best books I've ever read

bump

Rate my haul dawgs

what the hell where is this?
You too if not the same guy

Ding ding patrician coming through. Last 2 pinecones to finish my collection.

>sam harris
>actually reading a book written by that pseud

it looks like a goodwill probably judging by the stickers

a very nicely stocked goodwill

monadikos is a badass name for the unique desu

I have never encountered a goodwill where the books arent atleast $2 each with an absolute shit selection so i dont think so.

Every goodwill is different