The Sound and the Fury

Why do people like this book?

I don't get it.

Modernist trash that libcuck hipsters like. Don't fall for it.

Yeah, I've never really liked modernist literature. And this is book so far only corroborates my distaste.

What don't you like?

I got such an insane reaction from the first 4 pages, i felt so sorry for Benjy.

Why do people like Faulkner? He's inexorably boring.

its a required reading on many american school's curriculum's...so it is one of the first adult, demanding novels that many Americans read, because they're forced to, also they get their hand held through reading it. For many this is a profound experience

light in august is better

fuck off you anime-absorbed, vidya-addled weeb

I'm not too big a fan of the language and the style. Stream-of-consciousness is already confusing enough, let alone when that consciousness is that of a mentally handicapped person. But I'm hoping it'll get better when the perspective changes in the next part.

Stick with it, and it should start connecting around the third part.

It is a great story, but it probably won't read conventionally until the third part. Bits of Quentin's part make sense, but other parts reflect his unhinging.

t. hasn't read Absalom, Absalom!

You're supposed to be confused. It immediately puts the reader in Benjy's constant state of helplessness; a precursor of things to come.

So this is the power of Veeky Forums...

I dont like it but I suppose at the time it was written that it was considered 'groundbreaking'. The fact that the first part is done entirely from the point of view of the family dog is really just a gimmick. Overall I think he made the book intentionally difficult to understand for the sake of making a difficult book.

the fuck is wrong with this book... he could of just written it in a simpler way like hemingway but he decided to make it hard to rake in the greens
0/10

you do realise he deliberately wrote an 'easy' novel (Sanctuary) specifically to rake in the greens so that people would go back and read his better work like this. I hate Veeky Forums you're all just idiots who proclaim that anything is bad because you can't grasp it. If you're like this guy then literally leave this board, im fed up of hearing your shit opinions.

Do you actually think Benjy is a dog? Are you fucking serious? Its fine to dislike Faulkner but jfc at least pay attention.

i hope all those fuckers hating are just memeing desu

Lmao, thanks for the laugh

Cuckoldry

This book crashed me like a plastic bottle, the style was too emotionally persuasive.
poor Quentin (m)

Based Jason did nothing wrong

people like Faulkner's technical mastery usually. critics also appreciate the multiple narrators, allegories regarding the struggling postbellum south, and the complexity and intricacy of the characters.

Just read Pynchon, he is pomo Faulkner aka actually-not-boring-Faulkner

Lmao, you're still in the first part.

The Benjy bit was my favorite. Stop being such brainless pleb.

I guess I can't refer you elsewhere, since Veeky Forums is not technically a 18+ board.

Well, enjoy yourself kiddo. I wish you the best in your literary endeavors, however prefigured for failure.

I'll prefer Faulkner's stories of rich psychological struggle over Pynchon's tales of smoking reefer and getting footjobs

>not liking footjobs, octopi, a lightbulb named after Lord Byron, scat, nude chicks, Moby-Dick, conspiracy theories that might be true, DUDE WEED LMAO XD, anachronisms, Porky Pick, dick rockets and pancak-u

pleb

>getting footjobs
Which book was this?

against the day has an out of pants footjob. Pynchon really is the best

I thought I was referring to the one in Bleeding Edge. Am I getting my Ruggles mixed up

wouldn't be surprised at all if there was more than one