The Great Veeky Forums Short Story Contest 2017

What is this?
A short story contest of Veeky Forums, by Veeky Forums, for Veeky Forums that will run over the next few months. The submissions will be judged by a small panel of somewhat qualified individuals and cash prizes will be awarded to the best stories.

Rules:
Entrants:
1. Entrants must now or at some time in the past have posted somewhat regularly on Veeky Forums
2. Any rules to post on Veeky Forums apply also to this contest
3. Limit one submission per entrant

Submissions:
1. Submissions must be fiction
2. Submissions must be between 2,000 and 10,000 words
3. Submissions must be written specifically for the contest
4. Besides these three rules, there are no other limitations (i.e. no theme)
5. Submissions should be formatted with double spaced 12 point font (Times New Roman) and indented paragraphs. Note: it is acceptable to format a submission differently for creative reasons. Any deviations from these suggestions will be considered a creative decision and will be judged as such
6. Submissions must be in .doc (or related) format, should be uploaded to the submissions channel in the official Discord (discord.gg/ErBAkDy), or submitted to [email protected]
7. Deadline to submit is December 7, 2017

Results:
1. All submissions will be judged by a panel of three
2. Judges will have some sort of background in literary analysis
3. The best ten (or so if participation is low) submissions as discerned by the judges will be published in some sort of literary journal
4. All submissions will be published anonymously
5. If there are more than ten submissions, the prizes will be the following: 1st Place: $100, 2nd Place: $50, 3rd Place: $25, Gregory Berrycone Award: $25
6. If there are less than ten submissions, only a single $100 award will be given for the best submission
7. Winners will be contacted through the means through which they submitted (Discord/email)
8. Prizes will be awarded through Paypal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9yy0RGTaWYM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>1. Entrants must now or at some time in the past have posted somewhat regularly on Veeky Forums
good luck proving that also who cares
>3. Limit one submission per entrant
more like one submission per email address
>5. Submissions should be formatted with double spaced 12 point font (Times New Roman) and indented paragraphs
Why, don't you know how to reformat a word document?

really pulling a gregory berrycone there

>small panel of somewhat qualified individuals
lmao you litcord plebs get more pretentious by the hour. Fuck off sheep, go read some more wuxia and goosebumps.

This is somewhat unrelated from the litcord

do they really read wuxia? haha

imagine fuckng this slampig

My writing sucks, but I'm glad you're going through with this OP. I'll definitely check out some submissions.

This guy raises a few good points though. The first rule is agreeable, but pointless, since you can't really dispute people on it. Similarly, you'll have to find a way to exclude repeat entries, which is hard to do without requiring some sort of ID. Perhaps require a voice recording? I'm not sure. The last point is frivolous though.

Either way, good luck. I hope this goes well.

My dicks to small desu

>attempting anything on Veeky Forums

How can I be assured that you won't just steal my amazing story and use it for your own purposes?

If your story is that good, you should be able to get more than $100 for it

I find the idea stimulating, thank you

>>attempting anything ever

>2. Any rules to post on Veeky Forums apply also to this contest
So is that a yes or no to erotic fetish fiction?

This is very nu/lit, but I believe I will give myself a swing at it. When, pray tell, is the deadline?

December 7th

How can manifest the aesthetic of that picture into my life so I can hold onto it for a little while

You cannot, user. As much as you'd like.

Plenty of time. Thanks.

Perhaps I have my prompt.

lifeless 2d girls smoking immortal tobacco

barbie doll neck joint obscured by a philosopher's turtleneck

greasy ears and a stinky imaginary vag

you've lost your way user

please, please make that the cover of the collection when you publish it

There's no specific theme or motif, is there?

True, nervous, very very dreadfully nervous I had been and am, but why will you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened not destroyed, not dulled my senses.

-- Just trying out a draft of the opening lines of my new, 100% original short story!

Here's another one:

Day had broken cold and gay, exceedingly cold and gay, when user turned aside from the /mlp/ trail and climbed the high earth-bank, where a dim and little traveled trail led eastward through the fat spruce Veeky Forumsland.

Will plaintext submissions be accepted as well?

Read Rule No. 4 you fucking faggot, under Submissions.

See Rule No 5 under Submissions.

"Any deviations" will be accepted. You can handwrite in blood and feces and they'll take it, provided that your "deviation" is for "creative reasons," whatever that means (presumably, coming up with a creative reason for deviating from the normal format).

>creative reasons
What if I work better in vim? Is that a creative reason?

>old hag
I would rather jump into a meatgrinder.

seconding this

"slampig" implies that a bitch is 1.) a slut and 2.) busted. this bitch is definitely a slut, but she's definitely not busted.

Poetry

i'll give it a shot, but maybe make a follow up addressing these

English only?

I'm Italian, and I don't think I can pull a Nabokov.

How are the judges chosen and why hasn't the person organising this made themselves a trip yet

Judges are chosen from people who say they can do it and claim to have some sort of background in this, and to your second question because trips are gay

I believe it is English only, I was helping decide what the rules were going to be.

On discord, a few anons stated their education in (English) literary analysis, and those with the best qualities (and those actually willing (or, who said they were so)) we're decided the be judges by the user heading the project.

>4. All submissions will be published anonymously
why?

>I believe it is English only, I was helping decide what the rules were going to be.
That's ok for me, as long 'English only' end up in the rules.

I would love for you to be able to write in the language you are most comfortable in, but this is still a pretty limited affair, so we can't really afford it. Still, do try, you could be a savant.

Thank you, I'll try,

I'm in bitches. But do a favor and use my prize for charitable purposes.

>discord clique picks someone else from the discord

what did
he
mean by
this?

my submission is the word "nigger" repeated 2,000 times

Kek

This

i dig this op

I had the same idea but instead I was going to do 'black lives matter'.

So question, how are the winning entries going to be distributed? What's this "literary journal?" Are you just going to upload a PDF or epub somewhere?

team I'm excited

that's gonna be fun writing in english

Ok I'll try to write something, that is for hosting this.

Thanks* looks like I'm off to a great start

Fuck it, i'll start something right now.

Its great to have a goal and to shoot at it! Well all be proud of our work Veeky Forums

Discord kills legitimate niche communities, propogates fetishism of the worst sort, and stagnates discussion with its parasitic existence. Noose yourselves, every one of you.

I don't plan to use the Discord, email's good enough

This, it becomes an incestuous and parasitic version of the "mother site"

The Discord is really just for organization, it is not a prerequisite at all.

just swallowed vomit

all niche communities are cancer you faggot

you probably have some faggotry gay skype group and you have some imaginary rivalry with some equally faggotry discord group where you guys act like you're a male and virgin version of mean girls

kys

take care

1/3

I'm a tiler by trade. But to make ends meet I work at Home Depot, In the gardening section. The steady paychecks beat the intermittent work I used to get with landscaping contractors and their sometimes sexist or even homophobic crew. I do miss the outdoors work. Ah-well. At least here I get more respect from co-workers and often the customers. Oh the customers. Seems everyday we get at least one or two hot babes in here. One co-worker, Jim from tools, spotted me checking out this one hispanic woman one day. Waiting till she rounded a corner he turns to me and mouthes a wolf howl in agreeance. "Good taste" Monica. Jim is a genial, balding and greying hippie kind of laid back dude and a good friend.

My hair is thinning too, though I'll never be as bald as Jim, it's just a bit disappointing. Aging stinks. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I guess I'll have to cut my hair short one of these years real soon. I've just never much liked the short haired look. On me or other women. Right along with fouling up my regular life, I've fouled up my love life so many times that I'm starting to lose hope I'll ever settle down with the right girl. Some suggested I wear a rainbow bracelet, but I'm such a screw up, months went by before I even got an acknowledgment. One time waiting in a coffee shop I saw a gorgeous woman walk in. I was pretty sure she was lesbian. I tried to play up the damn bracelet, but all I got was a casual glance before she vanished with her 32oz. brown thing. On some other advice I tried dating sites but have had only dismal returns. I guess I'm just thin skinned and can't take rejection.

2/3

One summer our supervisor threw a barbecue and invited some of us old-timers and their family over to praise his spruced up backyard pool, patio, greenery and cooking chops. He had good reason to be proud, it was nice. Real nice tile work too. Wish he'd have asked me to help install it. Unironically we praised, but turning my attention away from the tiles, I finally took notice of the most beautiful girl in the whole place. Tan and freckle faced with sandy blonde brown hair, I somehow tore my glance away from her, and not because she was going to notice me gawking, my eyes then rested on her hairy arm, and then her hairy legs. I'm sorry, but body hair is a fetish of mine. I tried to play it off, be cool– Just then Jim came up behind me and introduced her. "Hey, Monica, this is my daughter Apollonia-Clerice" And to her "This is my co-worker from gardening, Monica." But I was already reacting to the poor girl's hippie name. "Seriously?" He turned away to laugh in his beer. "People call me AC, though." Jim's daughter quietly explained. and without skipping a beat, probably used to the reaction. I went from cheeky to cheesy. "A.C. Like a breath of fresh air." I mean seriously. Like I just confessed my horniness to a 16 year old girl, right there in broad daylight within earshot of her dad. What the hell, brain? We were both too embarrassed to say much of anything else after that, save for a few smiling glances at each other. Nope nope. Too young.
"And THAT was the last time I let my wife pick the name" Jim later explained. "Had to name the boys myself" I could tell my usual conversational ease with Jim was way off, I kept sneaking glances at AC dangling her legs in the pool or the way she would eat, getting some barbecue sauce all over her cheek. Oh geez. I had to go, so I finished my ribs and beer, thanked the host for the eats and made an excuse for my early exit.

3/3

Some months later, Jim and I started to do a little landscaping on the side together. He was my apprentice in this, but he had access to the materials for this job. Early morning one weekend while out on a project, Jim asked me to pick up some tiles from his place on the way over. I'd met his wife on several occasions and fully expected to be dealing with her once I got there, but instead AC answered the door. She was delightedly surprised to see me. "Hey! AC. I was, I'm here to pick up a couple of boxes. Probably in the garage. Hi. How are you?" AC was happy to see me and insisted that I come inside for a bit. My head was getting dizzy again, but I didn't protest and entered. "The extra keys are around here someplace", she bounded off to look for them. She'd had her 17th birthday a while ago, but I still feeling guilty for just looking at her.
After loading the truck AC offered me something to drink. Giving a nervous refusal she pressed the offer "You look thirsty though". came her giggle. I accepted and sat. Standing over me, somewhat leaning in, she poured my glass full. Having to decide 'when' herself. Up close, AC's sparkling light brown eyes stared into me. We smiled dumbly at each other for a bit. She lifted her left leg up and dug her foot in-between the couch cushions I was sitting on. Too inviting, I reached up to stroke her fine leg hairs. Her open dress-shirt fell back slightly and I rose to bury my nose into her underarm. Taking slow deep breaths I grew lightheaded at the smell of her sweaty body odor. Clutching her thigh now, I had the instinct to thrust my hands down her trunks, but instead told her, told myself, "You're… you're too young. I can't." Looking at the floor I was able to force myself to get away. Excusing myself I headed out the front door. "Wait" AC begged. And more quietly "Come back in a year than. Please. I'll wait." I turned before she could see the tears come out of my face, but I was smiling the whole time, with gratitude.

>mfw tranny trip starts a posting spree

where do you think we are

>Posting spree
It wouldn't fit in one or two posts
Not a tranny

>.doc instead of .pdf

Will there be a kind of overall ranking?

You show up in every thread I've opened so far please leave this board

>user proposes short story contest
>"I have seen you! –Begone"

You are a strange sickly type of shut-in

Hi Butterfly.

Didn't someone plagiarize a bunch of Veeky Forums writings a little while back? Not one of the collaborative books I mean, this was like an ostensible journal or something

I personally wouldn't care. I write tons of short stories, I can afford to lose one.

Agreed

What journal?

dear ms kitty,

i'm trapped! they pinned me in a glass bell jar. all i have is this
water bottle and a hamster wheel. they put a lock on the door and
i have to run on a wheel every day as soon as i wake up they spray
me with my water bottle and i have to run for 30 min. they put a
mirror in my cage today, kitty. i saw myself running in place on the
wheel and i shed a single tear. o, btw, did i mention the fact that
my cage is surrounded by other cages full of hamsters? yes, it's all
so strange, ms kitty. some of the hamsters tell funny jokes in between all the running and water breaks. they tell me it's autumn
now and it's starting to rain a lot. i wouldn't know because my cage
is covered in a big blue blanket. sometimes the little girl that lives here plays a music box in her room. well, it's getting late
and it's almost time for me to sleep, so i better go now. it was
nice talking to you. bye!

effervescently,
hamtaro

quick someone give me an idea for a short story

A girl gets fat

Germany, 1940. It was Shlomo and Judith's wedding night. They were just about to consummate their marriage, when Hans burst into the room. "What are you doing?!" exclaimed Schlomo. "I'm here to claim your bride," replied Hans. "No! You can't!". "You know what will happen if you even think about stopping me." Schlomo dropped his head, there was nothing he could or wanted to do. Hans then looked over at Judith. She was hiding beneath the bedcover, which he promptly tore off. Hans whipped out his extra large German sausage that had been concealed beneath his effay military uniform. "Can you compete with this?" Hans asked Schlomo. Schlomo took out his sausage, but it was barely perceptible. Hans turned again to Judith. "You want my big Aryan sausage, don't you?" Judith looked up at Hans, her surprisingly beautiful face looked hungry. "No!" shouted Schlomo, as Judith reached forward to grab Hans' mighty offering. Judith sucked that sausage and Hans stuffed her tight young peach. By the time they were finished the sun was starting to rise. Shlomo just knelt in the corner, whimpering. Hans' satisfaction showed itself clearly all over Judith's face, who was tired and drenched with sweat. "Well, my good deed for today is done," said Hans. "I probably did you a favor, what with that inadequate equipment you were trying to use," he said to Shlomo. Hans put his clothes back on, then left through the window like a superhero. Judith rolled over and went to sleep, completely satisfied. Shlomo just lay there, all cried out. Everything he had seen that night flashed through his mind. He eventually fell into a reluctant sleep of nightmares, without so much as a kiss on the cheek. Germans are nothing, if not thorough.

MY DICK

Hi, nice dubs.

Ooo, scary. Just add a few more words to it and you're in!
Halloween classic in the making.

Little Chinese girl climbs her way up in the organized crime world.
Vanishes for a time only to reemerge after Kim Jong Un takes control of North Korea, as his fiance. Un later dies and the girl take control of the country.
Proposes a race car rally of world leaders in be held in Seoul Korea. Putin attends, Obama comes but sends a professional stock car racer. It is all a pretense for invasion and kidnapping.

youtube.com/watch?v=9yy0RGTaWYM

It was just something some guy cobbled together from writings he found here and then tried to sell online. I don't recall the name of it

This needs to be made into a movie starring Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand. Mark Zuckerberg can be Schlomo.

>3. The best ten (or so if participation is low) submissions as discerned by the judges will be published in some sort of literary journal
>4. All submissions will be published anonymously
I can see why this is a point of contention. Odds are, the person who wins this contest is going to get a boost of morale and a glimmer of hope for somebody who in all likelihood has no actual literary credentials. Still, all this means is that a bunch of randomers on Veeky Forums thought their story was good. If the story is published in a 'Literary Journal' however, that could be some real exposure, depends on the actual place it's published.

If it's some random blog that gets 5 hits a day, then sure who cares if it's published anonymously, if it's somewhere that has a chance to get noticed by actual humans with literary interest, it could just be that there's an audience for that author outside of anons on Veeky Forums, and publishing it anonymously is sort of strangleholding the 'we're gonna' make it brahs' image that most anons will tote in most other cases.

Of course this all does depend on the exact amount of exposure that is likely. It could very well be some place where anyone can shove their work up, in which case we could all do that without the help of a contest such as this. It's being presented like a reward with a million caveats.

Clarification would be helpful.

Man, people should read my posts more closely.

And I'd go $1000 easy, just for a laugh. 75% to panel to read the slush and 25% to the Closer readers among us.

Once upon a dark and stormy night the oughtists were all ising at items to include in the competition for listicals dealing with subjects of jokes and pitiful schemes to erase their fore-thought creeped into and out of their tiny-whiney heads - acking and blating into the Times New Roman mirror, holy thoughts punching like a cartoon Batman. Declaimed I, the only Stirnerite! The only! The! And then sank he in to soliloquy of mumbled and jaggedly neverending-endless Sophistry. Thus it began to appear why a dollar, why a dime, why no nickles for my rhythms. Hark! A horror! I hear, and oh I know you cannot not - but no creative writing program came to the street I sleep upon, no dizzy twat sunk itself upon my cock for a chance to do, not only a government service, but a community service for which my conscious is, is being always focused on - that song is new ... and you, and you, and you, and you, and you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand yand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and youand you, and you, and yu, and you, and youand you, and you, and you, and ou, and you, and you, and you.

You all better prepare your best material before I sweep the entire top ten with submissions from my various pseudonyms. Game on.

>Unironically we praised
wut
whats with the word order and lack of object

Go kill yourself, poofter. You're less qualified to judge prose than my floating turds.