Women can't write

Women can't write.

Other urls found in this thread:

historythings.com/five-top-bestselling-authors-time/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You just did.

Sexist pig.

good thread

I'm as much of a misogynist as the next guy, but this is idiotic.

Name one good female writer then without writing Jane Austen.

Mary Shelly

Name a top tier book written by a woman to test your theory. Perhaps they can, but not well.

Her husband was much better than she was.

women write a lot of the best, and most extreme, doujins

Friendly reminder that the author of some of the most iconic books of all time is a woman.

Didn't she write some second hand letter account of some sailing men? Even though she'd never met any?

Middlemarch

She's trash.

Atlas Shrugged

Friendly reminder, if women can write profitable shit, why do all the superheroes need to be converted in to women?

doorstop. The great paper waster. Welfare hypocrites anyone?

Isn't Agatha Christie still the most widely published author in the world after Shakespeare?

Ain't that the truth

They can't, not at all. The best female writers are on par with average male ones. No female will ever come close to the male greats

It's not true to most people's experience. It's elitist bullshit.

I was mocking the book, but I guess it's difficult to portray that over the interwebs.

Didn't even have the guts to call him a warlock. duh. Can't used the agreed upon definitions. Tolkien still better.

Never even heard of her.

Funny how everybody on Veeky Forums will assert this without providing any objective argument or explanation as to why they believe men truly are better writers than women. Sounds like Veeky Forums is just a bunch of sexists, if I had to guess.

Obviously. Do you think this is some great revelation?

Nope, its something like Bible, Rowling, Tolkien, Dan Brown, Gone with the Wind, Quran.

Every female I've read is a pretentious try-hard.

Here's your chance, get on it.

>Sounds like Veeky Forums is just a bunch of sexists
And?

Funny how everybody on Veeky Forums will assert this without providing any evidence to the contrary of what everybody on Veeky Forums asserts.

Women can’t write, the same as men can’t fucking write. Most human being can’t produce anything worth being read. The conditions that lead to an author being great I think might happen a bit more often with men, but not by much. It’s also just a different type of writing.

Is this a sexist answer?

>

Nope
historythings.com/five-top-bestselling-authors-time/

really?

That's one tall bible

yes really

Virginia Woolf
Joan Didion
Shirley Jackson
Clarice Lispector
Joyce Carrol Oates
Sylvia Plath

Consciousness has no gender

Women helped with the stories of the iliad/odyssey

"[...]Women may have happy ideas, taste, and elegance, but they cannot attain to the ideal. The difference between men and women is like that between animals and plants. Men correspond to animals, while women correspond to plants because their development is more placid and the principle that underlies it is the rather vague unity of feeling. When women hold the helm of government, the state is at once in jeopardy, because women regulate their actions not by the demands of universality but by arbitrary inclinations and opinions. Women are educated--who knows how?"

--GWF Hegel

Read is more important than sold. That's a marketing and access thing.

Virginia wolf is the only decent one of those

40+ Never heard of any of these until Veeky Forums.

America is the least racist country in the world. Is this a racist remark?

No way are any of them even within the range of the top 100 greatest writers.

This inspired the creation of the entire gaming industry, right? No, it's just another Tolkien hero cycle reboot.

I have no idea how you plant to quanify the difference

because you can buy a book and not read it. real hard.

No, I mean that I have no idea how you plan to measure the difference.

Bloom disagrees

Among the mutilated Poets of Antiquity, there is none whose Fragments are so beautiful as those of Sappho. They give us a Taste of her Way of Writing, which is perfectly conformable with that extraordinary Character we find of her, in the Remarks of those great Criticks who were conversant with her Works when they were entire. One may see by what is left of them, that she followed Nature in all her Thoughts, without descending to those little Points, Conceits, and Turns of Wit with which many of our modern Lyricks are so miserably infected. Her Soul seems to have been made up of Love and Poetry; She felt the Passion in all its Warmth, and described it in all its Symptoms. She is called by ancient Authors the Tenth Muse; and by Plutarch is compared to Cacus the Son of Vulcan, who breathed out nothing but Flame. I do not know, by the Character that is given of her Works, whether it is not for the Benefit of Mankind that they are lost. They were filled with such bewitching Tenderness and Rapture, that it might have been dangerous to have given them a Reading.

Bloom is a Jew

Murasaki Shikibu, Jane Austen, George Eliot, Sappho, the Bronte sisters, Sei Shonagon, Can Xue, Werewere Liking, Christina Rosetti, Christine de Pizan, Yoko Ogawa, Claire Lispector...

ITT: insecure men

and?

He is biologically predisposed to try to destroy rightful male hegemony

literally who cares

all trash

Austen is the only great female writer in my opinion. But she's far from the greatest men.

As a man the thesis is self-evident. These others are women, trolls, and men white knighting.

Brontes and Austin are absolute garbage. never heard of the rest.

Keep it to yourself if you don't need validation.

I don't. They aren't my stats.

>Kids books
so this is the power of female authors

So, you're saying it's nonexistent and we should go with most sold, like I said from the beginning. Good.

likewise. Not an argument.

You're a moron. Done wasting time on half-wits.

Thanks for the confirmation;)

assuming sexism is bad

Tell us what would convince you. That's right, you can't.

That's my point, brainlet. There's no way to show most widely read, so we have to use greatest sales.

Inability to distinguish wisdom is not a victory.

Wait so you agreed and then you claimed it was not an argument? Which one is it?

I'm actually really busy writing up stuff for a real argument over on /a/, so if you could stop responding with garbage, I'd appreciate it.

You're saying sales equals greatness. No one's buying your argument.

We shouldn't go off most widely read or off sales. If so the Hunger Games would be good literature.

We should go off actual merit. Unfortunately, not many female writers have any merit. They're try-hard, boring, pretentious, and they take up the dullest themes thought up in the minds of humans.

Because arguments on /a/ are important? You aren't a man, so what does it matter.

>let me just come into this argument and completely ignore what the original statement of dispute was
wow thanks man you added so much

Veeky Forums users can't write. Name a single work of merit that has come out of this board

I can't compile these stats on my own so you won the argument. Yeah right.

Not going to dispute that. hahahah

There's only a couple of hundred truly great writers in the history of humanity; none of whom came after the mid-20th century. I don't know what else you would expect.

Is meant for

Point still holds

retarded relativism and dismissal of merit. "it's nurture bro!" isn't the answer to everything

If almost nobody altogether is capable of writing anything truly meritorious then why carp about the deficiencies of this board in particular? You merely propose a truism.

>If almost nobody altogether is capable of writing anything truly meritorious

Not claiming that.

You'll never be a man desu. You don't have a penis. It doesn't mean your a bad person, but it doesn't mean you need to pretend some also-rans are the greats of literature, either.

If you did a "survey says" type game show question for the top one hundred greatest authors of literature, no one will guess these women, except maybe J.K. Most peeps don't even know if a man or woman wrote Gone with the Wind.

This guy gets it.

If you don't accept that then you are simply mistaken.

says you? ok..

Wrong.

Many of you have complimented me in critique threads. In blind tests you fail.

Not me, I'm a tourist desu.

How many great writers were acknowledged by the ancients? Perhaps a hundred, in the millennium and a half spanning the time from Homer and Hesiod to Musaeus and Nonnus? And do you suppose that men have got so much wiser since then as to produce more than perhaps a hundred more?

How many men could write in that time span? How many can write now?